shape
carat
color
clarity

resale value of 1.8 carat fancy cut

username7241

Rough_Rock
Hello. I was roaming around internet and found out pricescope is the place with most information on diamonds. I am trying to figure out average offer for a 1.8 carat cushion cut diamond if I was to sell it to a local jeweler. it is G color, vs1, 1.3 L/W ratio, excellent polish symmetry and not Florescent. I talked to few jewelers but the answer is not consistent and I am very confused. I am already selling it at a loss and am trying to find out if they are offering similar to wholesale price benchmark or not. If anyone here is an expert or a jeweler. or if anyone has a story about selling similar carat weight of any fancy cut shape to a jeweler, please do share your thoughts.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a pre-loved forum here on Pricescope if you want to try that. You'll need really good pictures and you'll have to put it
up for sale on loupetroup or diamondbistro.

You will get very low offers from a jeweler.

I'm not a jeweler so cant give you a number. It also depends on how the stone looks (not just numbers and specs).

Pre-loved forum

Read this before posting

username7241

Rough_Rock
We have a pre-loved forum here on Pricescope if you want to try that. You'll need really good pictures and you'll have to put it
up for sale on loupetroup or diamondbistro.

You will get very low offers from a jeweler.

I'm not a jeweler so cant give you a number. It also depends on how the stone looks (not just numbers and specs).

Pre-loved forum

Read this before posting

Thanks for response. Could you give more detail on what you mean by how it looks? And how will it affect the price

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some cushions return light well and look nice. Some cushions do not return light well and just look "mushy gray" in the center.
Nobody wants a mushy stone. Basically, if it doesn't look good you arent going to be able to sell it much less get a good price.
Selling a stone secondhand (used/pre-owned) will usually result in a loss of up to 50% or more.

username7241

Rough_Rock
Some cushions return light well and look nice. Some cushions do not return light well and just look "mushy gray" in the center.
Nobody wants a mushy stone. Basically, if it doesn't look good you arent going to be able to sell it much less get a good price.
Selling a stone secondhand (used/pre-owned) will usually result in a loss of up to 50% or more.

Can you show me examples of mushy gray stones. And also what factor contributes to it? My stone is both excellent polish and symmetry. Will it still look mushy?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, take a quick look at this PS thread about a cushion https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-cushion.265799/#post-4967466 and then take a look at the JA cushion referenced in that thread https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-11281583 -- do you notice the JA cushion is kind of mushy gray in the table area? ["mush" refers to a lack of contrast/lack of defined facets] Note the JA cushion has GIA Excellent Polish and Excellent Symmetry.

Most consumers selling a diamond will take a loss -- if it's a branded diamond or a branded piece of jewelry the loss will be less -- if it's a less desirable shape / color / size / facet pattern / performance, then the loss will be even greater.

Generally, if you can sell it yourself on the preloved market (Diamondbistro or Loupetroop or eBay) you will get more $$$ than if you sell to a diamond to a local jeweler -- local jewelers do not want to buy your diamond, they want to sell you a diamond.

username7241

Rough_Rock
OP, take a quick look at this PS thread about a cushion https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-ring-cushion.265799/#post-4967466 and then take a look at the JA cushion referenced in that thread https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-11281583 -- do you notice the JA cushion is kind of mushy gray in the table area? ["mush" refers to a lack of contrast/lack of defined facets] Note the JA cushion has GIA Excellent Polish and Excellent Symmetry.

Most consumers selling a diamond will take a loss -- if it's a branded diamond or a branded piece of jewelry the loss will be less -- if it's a less desirable shape / color / size / facet pattern / performance, then the loss will be even greater.

Generally, if you can sell it yourself on the preloved market (Diamondbistro or Loupetroop or eBay) you will get more $$$ than if you sell to a diamond to a local jeweler -- local jewelers do not want to buy your diamond, they want to sell you a diamond.

Thanks for the response

username7241

Rough_Rock

do jewelers buy at wholesale prices for pre owned diamonds or below wholesale? if below wholesale, by how much? 30%?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Is your stone GIA certified? What is your timeframe? You could always talk to the The Real Real about consignment.

username7241

Rough_Rock
Is your stone GIA certified? What is your timeframe? You could always talk to the The Real Real about consignment.

yes it is certified, i would prefer if i could sell it outright, but consignment is good if it takes 1 or 2 month

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes it is certified, i would prefer if i could sell it outright, but consignment is good if it takes 1 or 2 month

There is no guarantee that it will only take 1 to 2 months for a jewellery piece to be sold once it is consigned.

When selling jewellery, it is the buyers' market, not the sellers', unless they are high jewellery by well-known and respected jewellery brands.

Based on my own experience when I needed the money, I was lucky to get 30% from what I paid for initially for the pieces I sold, even for those that I had valued for replacement for insurance purposes.

Good luck with your sale!

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results