shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting help for my first LGD!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hear about the Ritani diamond, but the new diamond looks beautiful. I think it'll feel big for a week or two and then you'll be used to it. :bigsmile:

Thank you Kim!!! I’ll come back with ASET images. FD has been great to work with so far!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
So is anyone familiar with Stone Algo's cut score? I read their blog on how it works and it feels quite vague. I plugged in the IGI# on the stone I'm waiting for and apparently the cut score is only a 8.9/10...then I put in the GIA# for my current stone and it's 9/10.

I'm guessing the ASET and H&A images from Frank Darling will be more telling than this cut score? I had never seen it mentioned on PS before...it came up on a Google search for me.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So is anyone familiar with Stone Algo's cut score? I read their blog on how it works and it feels quite vague. I plugged in the IGI# on the stone I'm waiting for and apparently the cut score is only a 8.9/10...then I put in the GIA# for my current stone and it's 9/10.

I'm guessing the ASET and H&A images from Frank Darling will be more telling than this cut score? I had never seen it mentioned on PS before...it came up on a Google search for me.

The ASET and H&A scope images will be way more telling than any cut quality estimation calculator.
ASET results are ASET results...no way to generalize that (when proper backlighting and alignment is used) like the cut estimators.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
The ASET and H&A scope images will be way more telling than any cut quality estimation calculator.
ASET results are ASET results...no way to generalize that (when proper backlighting and alignment is used) like the cut estimators.

Thanks @DejaWiz! So I actually just plugged in the other stone you and I talked about last week (the 2.40 Ritani with pavillion twist - https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG555262929), and it came up as a 9.6/10 on this calculator...so goes to show that this estimator definitely isn't all that!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASET is gorgeous and so is the diamond.
Arrows image looks great...Hearts image is off-center enough to skew the results.

All in all, I'd buy this diamond based on the ASET and arrows results and video.

I agree completely!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
She’s here!!! Frank Darling customer service was great from beginning to end, and even let me specify my preference of overnight shipper (FedEx vs UPS). Everything was beautifully and discreetly packed, and I can't say enough good things about FD (also got $100 off using coupon code HONEY100).

The sun isn’t great today, but she’s a sparkle bomb, and beautifully icy compared to my current I-colored stone. I’m so excited to put her in her permanent home (my husband’s grandmother’s set that I currently wear with my .97 natural diamond...except I'll be setting her with 6 prongs). Here are some videos in various lighting environments!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s here!!! Frank Darling customer service was great from beginning to end, and even let me specify my preference of overnight shipper (FedEx vs UPS). Everything was beautifully and discreetly packed, and I can't say enough good things about FD (also got $100 off using coupon code HONEY100).

The sun isn’t great today, but she’s a sparkle bomb, and beautifully icy compared to my current I-colored stone. I’m so excited to put her in her permanent home (my husband’s grandmother’s set that I currently wear with my .97 natural diamond...except I'll be setting her with 6 prongs). Here are some videos in various lighting environments!

Oh, she's gorgeous!! The size is great on you! I bet she will be a kaleidoscope of colors under a broad leafy tree.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Oh, she's gorgeous!! The size is great on you! I bet she will be a kaleidoscope of colors under a broad leafy tree.

@Kim N - I can't thank you and @DejaWiz enough for everything!! I'm so thrilled. I'll come back to share pictures and videos once she's set :)

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations. It’s beautiful.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, how much fun! How are you feeling about the size?

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Lovely, how much fun! How are you feeling about the size?

Thanks for asking! It does seem really big, especially compared to what I have now, but I think I can get used to it! The goal was to mitigate ever wanting to upgrade again (on this set, at least...), and I think this fulfills that :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking! It does seem really big, especially compared to what I have now, but I think I can get used to it! The goal was to mitigate ever wanting to upgrade again (on this set, at least...), and I think this fulfills that :)

Good, I was so hopeful this would bring you to the place you want to be! It looks wonderful!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - The new diamond is currently at my jeweler's to be set, should get it back in the next few days! I'm super excited.

As I've been (very impatiently) waiting, I went back to the Loupe360 for the diamond (https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG559279834), and noticed a few things that I'm wondering if others can shed light on. I'm very happy with the diamond, but just wanted to know a little bit more about some of these characteristics for my own education.

First off, I noticed that there were a couple facets that almost look grainy at different angles. It seems from the ASET that it doesn't impact light performance, and I really can't see it in person, but I'm curious about what this is in an HPHT LGD?
Diamond1.png
Diamond2.png

Finally, while the diamond looks totally eye clean to me, I noticed these little scratch-looking marks (inclusions?) on the inside. They weren't listed explicitly on the IGI cert, so I'm wondering if that's common practice for a VS1?

Diamond3.png

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! It's been really fun learning so much more about diamonds during this upgrade.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone - The new diamond is currently at my jeweler's to be set, should get it back in the next few days! I'm super excited.

As I've been (very impatiently) waiting, I went back to the Loupe360 for the diamond (https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG559279834), and noticed a few things that I'm wondering if others can shed light on. I'm very happy with the diamond, but just wanted to know a little bit more about some of these characteristics for my own education.

First off, I noticed that there were a couple facets that almost look grainy at different angles. It seems from the ASET that it doesn't impact light performance, and I really can't see it in person, but I'm curious about what this is in an HPHT LGD?
Diamond1.png
Diamond2.png

Finally, while the diamond looks totally eye clean to me, I noticed these little scratch-looking marks (inclusions?) on the inside. They weren't listed explicitly on the IGI cert, so I'm wondering if that's common practice for a VS1?

Diamond3.png

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge! It's been really fun learning so much more about diamonds during this upgrade.

You're not going to have anything to worry about: this video is at 30-50x magnification so everything is amplified, thus anything you think you are seeing won't be remotely visible in real-world viewing.
No graining.
Inclusions are near microscopic.
Beautiful optics.
Gorgeous diamond!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Diamond1.png
Diamond2.png

Diamond3.png

Yours will be clear as a bell.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
She’s set and I’m thrilled! It took a few back and forths with my jeweler to get the head and prongs right, but now she’s home and I can’t stop staring. For future reference for others doing research on this forum, this is a 2.69 carat D/VS1/HPHT from Frank Darling, worn on a size 4.25 finger. At the time of purchase in January 2023, it was $2800.

Here are some videos of the ways that I’ll be wearing her - with a chevron band, with the matching wedding band (this was my husband’s grandmother’s set), and with all 3 rings as a stack.

BFA22654-4AA6-4853-8528-08D74D993671.jpeg
I was concerned that the size of the diamond would be a bit too big on me, but as soon as I received the final product today, I knew I wouldn’t be letting it go!! This is my forever stone, and it’s all been done in time for our 5th anniversary.

Special thanks to @DejaWiz and @Kim N for everything over the past month or so. I’m so grateful for all your generous time spent sharing knowledge and patiently helping many of us on this forum find diamonds that we’ll love for the long haul. I will wear it and be reminded of the kindness and support that can be found out in the world!

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
howlucky how lucky for you - your new ring looks stunning! Congratulations!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Look at that sparkle. I love that it’s in an family heirloom setting. Congratulations!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She looks so beautiful on you! :kiss2: Wear her in the best of health!

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful!!! :kiss2:
Congratulations and she looks right at home on your hand. =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results