shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting help for my first LGD!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
It's go-time! Calling @Kim N and @DejaWiz (and others who may want to chime in)…I'm now ready to pull the trigger on buying a new center stone for my current setting:
2.2-2.4ish carat RB
G color and above
VS1 and above
HPHT / no blue nuance
I'm a big fan of hearts and arrows, fire and scintillation. Looking for the best possible light performance - my current diamond has a smaller table so I think I prefer those.
Hoping to keep it under $2,400, but will flex up if there's a great reason.

From my initial thread, I've gathered a starter list of diamonds that have caught my eye (both from your original suggestions and populating a search using Kim N's parameters). I also requested additional images from Ritani, and was able to get the ASET for the one I'm most interested in.

Can you let me know when you're online so that I can post them and see if any jump out to you as winners? And if there are others that you'd recommend more highly?

Thanks SO much in advance!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm online now!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Ok awesome! So here's my initial list of contenders, some of which @DejaWiz had suggested earlier in the week.

To start, I'm most interested in this 2.32 with an HCA score of 1.1...I was also able to find the Loupe360 and get the ASET from Ritani:

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-3...-vs1-clarity-igi-lg526275431-sku-d-4o1qyr2jc7

https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG526275431

2.32 ASET.jpg

…I've never interpreted an ASET before, but what's the bowtie-looking yellow splotch in the center?

Here are other early contenders:

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-3...vvs2-clarity-igi-lg542298100-sku-d-5ul27mav3o

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-3...-vs1-clarity-igi-lg534264248-sku-d-5ul27hio54

https://www.ritani.com/products/2-3...-vs2-clarity-igi-lg529247569-sku-d-900k6cdk5t

Please let me know if any of the above jump out at you as winners. Which one on this list (or outside of this list) would you buy for yourself and why?

I'm also particularly nervous about blue nuance and milkiness, so can you please help me check for that?

Also, do you think jumping from my current color (I) to a D/E/F would feel too "cold" all of a sudden in my yellow gold setting? I'm really, really excited for this upgrade but also clearly overthinking about buying online for the first time!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the first one (with the ASET) and last one. The middle two show signs of an uneven pavilion. I see no blue nuance or milkiness. I wouldn't worry about the center of the ASET--it's likely some stray light. I have a slight preference for the proportions of the first one over the last one (the 15.5% crown height, slightly smaller table, and wider arrows), and having the ASET in-hand is a big plus. I'd definitely put the ones you're interested in on hold ASAP.

Color is very subjective, but it doesn't hurt to get the diamond home and see how you feel wearing it around on a diamond holder.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
It's a relief to hear you say that - I really like the first one with the ASET too! Something about the 360 view is just really mesmerizing to me. When you say you have a preference for its proportions, what does that mean in terms of performance?

Do you think I should just pull the trigger or do you think I could do better for this price point?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a relief to hear you say that - I really like the first one with the ASET too! Something about the 360 view is just really mesmerizing to me. When you say you have a preference for its proportions, what does that mean in terms of performance?

Do you think I should just pull the trigger or do you think I could do better for this price point?

The slightly taller crown height and smaller table combined with the wider arrows may result in broader, chunkier, and more fiery flashes.

I would pull the trigger! At this size, color, clarity, and price point, I don't think you can do better.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Me too! Can't tell you enough how grateful I am that pros like you are around to help strangers on the internet find pieces that will be really cherished. I'll report back once I have it in hand!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It's done!! Thank you so much for your help this week. I'm so excited :)

Fantastic choice and looking forward to LOTS of pictures and videos!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have made the same suggestion of the first one. Great choice!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I really like your choice, I think it will be very close to mine. The shape and angles are very close. How soon til you get it?

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I really like your choice, I think it will be very close to mine. The shape and angles are very close. How soon til you get it?

I’m supposed to get it Wednesday! Then it goes to my jeweler for another couple weeks as he puts in a new basket for it on my current setting :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
tick....tock.... I hope it goes quickly for you !

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Hi @Kim N and @DejaWiz (and others!) - I'm doing some classic overthinking as I wait for my 2.32/D/VS1 to arrive this Wednesday, as I'm hoping that this is my forever diamond in my current setting. I also saw that Ritani's return policy is relatively short for loose diamonds at 15 days, so I know that I need to make a decision to keep or return fairly quickly.

Basically, I absolutely love the specs on the 2.32, but I'm wondering if I should've gone over 2.5 carats to avoid DSS in the future. I'm a size 4, and currently wear a ~.97/I/SI1 mined diamond, so I know that the 2.32 will already be a huge change. Here's a pic and video of my current set:
Do you think that the 2.32 will be a good, proportionate-yet-substantial amount of coverage for me? Are there are any other great HPHT options in the 2.5-2.7 size range if I up my budget to $3,500 or so or would that cost a lot more? Or is the size difference between ~2.3 and ~2.5 pretty negligible at the end of the day?

Thank you all so much for your patience with my diamond buyer's neuroticism...you know how it is :roll:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Kim N and @DejaWiz (and others!) - I'm doing some classic overthinking as I wait for my 2.32/D/VS1 to arrive this Wednesday, as I'm hoping that this is my forever diamond in my current setting. I also saw that Ritani's return policy is relatively short for loose diamonds at 15 days, so I know that I need to make a decision to keep or return fairly quickly.

Basically, I absolutely love the specs on the 2.32, but I'm wondering if I should've gone over 2.5 carats to avoid DSS in the future. I'm a size 4, and currently wear a ~.97/I/SI1 mined diamond, so I know that the 2.32 will already be a huge change. Here's a pic and video of my current set:
Do you think that the 2.32 will be a good, proportionate-yet-substantial amount of coverage for me? Are there are any other great HPHT options in the 2.5-2.7 size range if I up my budget to $3,500 or so or would that cost a lot more? Or is the size difference between ~2.3 and ~2.5 pretty negligible at the end of the day?

Thank you all so much for your patience with my diamond buyer's neuroticism...you know how it is :roll:

If you can/want, there are some extremely inexpensive CZ rings on Amazon with speedy shipping that you can get in various try-on sizes (2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3, etc) millimeters equivalent.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
If you can/want, there are some extremely inexpensive CZ rings on Amazon with speedy shipping that you can get in various try-on sizes (2, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75, 3, etc) millimeters equivalent.

That’s a great idea!! Thank you.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do think 2.32 will look very sizable on a size 4 finger, especially coming from a 0.97. But if you were going to size up, this is one that I'd recommend. It's 0.2mm larger, which is the point at which most people can see a size difference.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I do think 2.32 will look very sizable on a size 4 finger, especially coming from a 0.97. But if you were going to size up, this is one that I'd recommend. It's 0.2mm larger, which is the point at which most people can see a size difference.

Thanks so much, @Kim N! That makes me feel better and much more settled in my choice - I don’t think I’d like to pay another $1,500 to go from 2.32 to 2.44, especially when I like the specs on the original so much. I’m just playing the “what if” game right now as I wait, so appreciate your input.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, @Kim N! That makes me feel better and much more settled in my choice - I don’t think I’d like to pay another $1,500 to go from 2.32 to 2.44, especially when I like the specs on the original so much. I’m just playing the “what if” game right now as I wait, so appreciate your input.
I would wait and see what you think. The surface difference between a 2.32 and 2.44 would be minimal. The difference between your .97 and 2.32 will be epic. Since I just went from a 1.29 to my 2.32 and opened the box and said "holy ****!" and started giggling. It's wonderful, dazzling, and excessive. I am so glad @Kim N threw up the big one :D. I am also glad this is a lab, which calms guilt I would have had if Iceberg were mined. But the difference between your 2.32 and that 2.44 would only be 2mm. Pretty much a wash. 8.5 compared to 8.7 you may strain to see it. I think your setting will bring the diamonds up a bit, so will look bigger than this (below).

Screenshot 2023-01-23 081236.png

I look forward to your reaction when you get your diamond. Your diamond is a hair larger than mine.

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I would wait and see what you think. The surface difference between a 2.32 and 2.44 would be minimal. The difference between your .97 and 2.32 will be epic. Since I just went from a 1.29 to my 2.32 and opened the box and said "holy ****!" and started giggling. It's wonderful, dazzling, and excessive. I am so glad @Kim N threw up the big one :D. I am also glad this is a lab, which calms guilt I would have had if Iceberg were mined. But the difference between your 2.32 and that 2.44 would only be 2mm. Pretty much a wash. 8.5 compared to 8.7 you may strain to see it. I think your setting will bring the diamonds up a bit, so will look bigger than this (below).

Screenshot 2023-01-23 081236.png

I look forward to your reaction when you get your diamond. Your diamond is a hair larger than mine.

Thanks so much, @MMtwo! That helps loads. I think that all this diamond shopping and browsing around PS forums has led me down quite a rabbit hole and caused a lot of comparison and DSS in a short amount of time. But you're totally right - I think I'm going to be dazzled especially when I see the new rock next to what I currently have in real life.

Btw, I LOVE that you named your diamond Iceberg :D She's certainly icy, gorgeous and substantial.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, @MMtwo! That helps loads. I think that all this diamond shopping and browsing around PS forums has led me down quite a rabbit hole and caused a lot of comparison and DSS in a short amount of time. But you're totally right - I think I'm going to be dazzled especially when I see the new rock next to what I currently have in real life.

Btw, I LOVE that you named your diamond Iceberg :D She's certainly icy, gorgeous and substantial.

Thank you! I am pretty sure we're almost rock twins.
:)

howlucky

Rough_Rock
So my order was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, and on Ritani tracking, it still says "Your diamond has been secured; acquiring your diamond"...I called customer service and they explained that it hadn't yet shipped from the vendor in India, but I should expect it next Monday or Tuesday.

Really hoping everything goes well with shipping...this anticipation!! :oops2:

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So my order was supposed to be delivered tomorrow, and on Ritani tracking, it still says "Your diamond has been secured; acquiring your diamond"...I called customer service and they explained that it hadn't yet shipped from the vendor in India, but I should expect it next Monday or Tuesday.

Really hoping everything goes well with shipping...this anticipation!! :oops2:

My order went through something similar...it'll get to you. :)

aapple0112

Shiny_Rock

I love your ring set! They look really elegant!

I see you are curious about 2.32 on size 4 finger. Here is 2.39 ( 8.5mm) on 4.25 finger. And second one is 2.37 vs 2.57. I have to say, 2.32 would really good size on your finger. Above 2.5 on your hand will look like 3ct. Hope that these help.
4B832569-A0F9-4899-B27D-E985502F04B7.jpeg
014741D0-CAAF-4BA8-9BE0-2407AC822DAA.jpeg

howlucky

Rough_Rock
I love your ring set! They look really elegant!

I see you are curious about 2.32 on size 4 finger. Here is 2.39 ( 8.5mm) on 4.25 finger. And second one is 2.37 vs 2.57. I have to say, 2.32 would really good size on your finger. Above 2.5 on your hand will look like 3ct. Hope that these help.
4B832569-A0F9-4899-B27D-E985502F04B7.jpeg
014741D0-CAAF-4BA8-9BE0-2407AC822DAA.jpeg

This is so helpful and your stones are amazing!!

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - An update in the story...I contacted Ritani to check the status of the stone after a rep told me this past Wednesday that it had just shipped from India. However, a different rep on Friday told me that it actually hadn't yet shipped from the vendor, and that they hadn't heard from the vendor about status upon inquiry. The diamond was supposed to get to me by now, but apparently it's still with the vendor and it's unclear when they'll ship it out.

At the same time, I noticed that a 2.69 HPHT D/VS1 I had flagged at FD a couple weeks ago (https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=559279834) had dropped in price to under $3k, so quickly messaged @DejaWiz on Reddit to get another eye on it (thank you!!!)...after conferring for a bit, I ordered it. The FD rep told me that the stone is apparently local / already in NY, and they should be able to get me ASET images and hand videos early next week. Here's the Loupe360: https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG559279834
Stay tuned!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone - An update in the story...I contacted Ritani to check the status of the stone after a rep told me this past Wednesday that it had just shipped from India. However, a different rep on Friday told me that it actually hadn't yet shipped from the vendor, and that they hadn't heard from the vendor about status upon inquiry. The diamond was supposed to get to me by now, but apparently it's still with the vendor and it's unclear when they'll ship it out.

At the same time, I noticed that a 2.69 HPHT D/VS1 I had flagged at FD a couple weeks ago (https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=559279834) had dropped in price to under $3k, so quickly messaged @DejaWiz on Reddit to get another eye on it (thank you!!!)...after conferring for a bit, I ordered it. The FD rep told me that the stone is apparently local / already in NY, and they should be able to get me ASET images and hand videos early next week. Here's the Loupe360: https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG559279834
Stay tuned!

Ohhhh, a little bit bigger, a nice H&A cut, good angles and a D color...what is not to love?

howlucky

Rough_Rock
Ohhhh, a little bit bigger, a nice H&A cut, good angles and a D color...what is not to love?

Thanks! I’m excited, but also a smidge worried that the new 2.69 will be too large for me at 8.9mm of spread vs my original pick that was 8.5mm.

Here’s me in the jewelry store a couple weeks ago with a 2.5 that was 8.7mm…so I think 8.9mm will be ok?? We were in our mid-20s when we got engaged with my original set, and now I’m in my 30s and am hoping this is my forever diamond. Hoping that I’ll “grow into it” if this ASET looks great and I set it :)

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stay tuned!

Sorry to hear about the Ritani diamond, but the new diamond looks beautiful. I think it'll feel big for a week or two and then you'll be used to it. :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results