shape
carat
color
clarity

Request Help with Comparing 2 Similar 3+ Carat JA Stones

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Greetings PSers

I have previously posted a request for thoughts between 2 stones (that thread is here) and this 3.8 TH stone came out as the better stone. Transaction is part of an exchange/upgrade with JA.

Many on here have cautioned against an H color stone at 3.8 carats unless I am sure my better half will be OK with hints of color. As such, I am looking for well cut G color stones in same general size. Others have recommended I could step down from VVS1 to VS1 as a potential way to step up in color and perhaps stay in the same price range.

In my search, I have come across this G color 3.72 stone here and would like the good folks here at PS to give me their thoughts on this potential replacement stone. This 3.72 stone has a 1.3 HCA score L/W ratio of .997 and proportions are within both AGS Ideal and GIA Excellent. The original 3.8 TH stone is well cut, as PSers have acknowledged that proportions, video, and IS images demonstrate. I requested IS images for the 3.72 stone to no avail. I believe JA can provide IS/ASET images if I move forward with that transaction once the stone arrives in their facility in NYC to be set.

Although the 3.72 I am considering has proportions within my search criteria, I am not sure of the effects of the relationship of those proportions, e.g. I understand that a 35.5 CA is acceptable with a 40.6 PA, which this stone has. However, how these relate to the 55 table, 80% lowers and other proportions I do not know. The 62.7 depth is the one proportion that sets off the alarm for me, but perhaps not as much an issue relative to other specs(?), so appreciate thoughts on the 3.72 stone. I am disinclined to think this is a winner stone, but the education I am receiving here is invaluable, so thanks in advance for your inputs.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 3.72 is not as well cut as the 3.80. Have you and your partner seen GIA G and H diamonds around this size in person? Some people find that even if they see the difference in tint, it doesn't bother them. From the side views of both diamonds, the H appears to my eyes to hold its own quite well.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Greetings PSers

I have previously posted a request for thoughts between 2 stones (that thread is here) and this 3.8 TH stone came out as the better stone. Transaction is part of an exchange/upgrade with JA.

Many on here have cautioned against an H color stone at 3.8 carats unless I am sure my better half will be OK with hints of color. As such, I am looking for well cut G color stones in same general size. Others have recommended I could step down from VVS1 to VS1 as a potential way to step up in color and perhaps stay in the same price range.

In my search, I have come across this G color 3.72 stone here and would like the good folks here at PS to give me their thoughts on this potential replacement stone. This 3.72 stone has a 1.3 HCA score L/W ratio of .997 and proportions are within both AGS Ideal and GIA Excellent. The original 3.8 TH stone is well cut, as PSers have acknowledged that proportions, video, and IS images demonstrate. I requested IS images for the 3.72 stone to no avail. I believe JA can provide IS/ASET images if I move forward with that transaction once the stone arrives in their facility in NYC to be set.

Although the 3.72 I am considering has proportions within my search criteria, I am not sure of the effects of the relationship of those proportions, e.g. I understand that a 35.5 CA is acceptable with a 40.6 PA, which this stone has. However, how these relate to the 55 table, 80% lowers and other proportions I do not know. The 62.7 depth is the one proportion that sets off the alarm for me, but perhaps not as much an issue relative to other specs(?), so appreciate thoughts on the 3.72 stone. I am disinclined to think this is a winner stone, but the education I am receiving here is invaluable, so thanks in advance for your inputs.

If you draw a line across the arrows on the G, they are not lined up so well. I see color from the side in the H. ‘Like @Kim N says, your sweetheart might not mind. Personally it would bug me.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
The 3.72 is not as well cut as the 3.80. Have you and your partner seen GIA G and H diamonds around this size in person? Some people find that even if they see the difference in tint, it doesn't bother them. From the side views of both diamonds, the H appears to my eyes to hold its own quite well.

Thanks @Kim N , we haven't been able to compare yet, but will try to this week. The stones we have found are either not well cut or not in that carat size (or both). Will head to some larger retailers to examine the color differences.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
If you draw a line across the arrows on the G, they are not lined up so well. I see color from the side in the H. ‘Like @Kim N says, your sweetheart might not mind. Personally it would bug me.

Thanks @oncrutchesrightnow -others have shared your concern about the color, especially at this carat size. I know it is a preference - so we will have to get out and see if it is an issue. The 3.8 is a very well cut stone, but over time don't want color to be an issue. One may have a tendency to appreciate more color in the future, but I would posit that more would come to appreciate less color. In the end, as my mother would say, De gustibus non est disputandum.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, @Old_Fossil . What an exciting upgrade!

I have lots of photos in a couple threads that might be helpful to you, especially as it pertains to color in a large stone. I have a 4.2 carat round in an I color. Color is truly personal—some see it and it drives them bonkers. Others see it and don’t care. And still others of us struggle to see much color at all. Oh, and a last group—those that see color and really love it, not despite the color, but for the color.

Here’s my I color:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-vivian-the-custom-cut-4-2-i-vvs2-aca.278688/

I also made a point to look at tons of different color stones before committing. Tons of stone color photos here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...journey-…-from-a-research-perspective.277780/

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Your mom rocks! My cat’s name is Pacem.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hey, @Old_Fossil . What an exciting upgrade!

I have lots of photos in a couple threads that might be helpful to you, especially as it pertains to color in a large stone. I have a 4.2 carat round in an I color. Color is truly personal—some see it and it drives them bonkers. Others see it and don’t care. And still others of us struggle to see much color at all. Oh, and a last group—those that see color and really love it, not despite the color, but for the color.

Here’s my I color:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-vivian-the-custom-cut-4-2-i-vvs2-aca.278688/

I also made a point to look at tons of different color stones before committing. Tons of stone color photos here:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...journey-…-from-a-research-perspective.277780/

Hi @Tonks - way to chronicle your journey! Not only interesting technically, but a nicely woven story. You may find you have another career waiting.

Similar story, yet I am getting my better half her first e-ring ever after 32 years - only gold bands till now. We are finally in a place where it won't sting, and she certainly deserves it.

Another interesting commonality is that I received an e-mail today believe it or not from Becca at WF. I reached out to them as a plan B to my current plan. My better half loves the e-ring/w-ring set I got from JA, but I was less than pleased with the cut. I applaud you with your research. You would think that as a Ph.D. I would have done better research, but alas, it was after the purchase. However, the last months have been fruitful, and I am still in the window to turn off the JA upgrade. My challenge is that although I know an ACA stone will be exemplary, I will have to work with them on the setting, which is also muy importante to my better half. We went through every setting they had that could support a 3.5-4 carat stone, and none appealed. So they are working on what they have that is not custom territory before we start talking about custom settings. I had a matching ER/WR combo that looked spectacular on her - btw she is similar to you in that she is 5'-9" size w/ 6.5 ring.

Since I already paid for my current rings, I am in the ~$80k-ish range for the replacement stone. Going with custom stone and setting with WF may put me well over that. I came in originally with a less than ideal cut 3.0 G stone, so lower carat on the replacement won't win the day. You make a good point that 3.7ish are few and far between, but that is my current search criteria. Sincere thanks for those links, and Vivian is stunning. That is the result of some solid research and patience. I would appreciate your thoughts from the videos and images found here for my current 3.8.

Being this far in with the JA purchase may be the way to go as long as the color is OK. Process so far has been positive - happy they are backed up as it gives me time. Still have to get out to verify. If not, then plan B is seeing what Becca can do for us while staying within our budget. We have one of ours headed to a Tier 1 college soon, so have to be mindful of basic economics. Thanks again Tonks - your shares were most helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results