shape
carat
color
clarity

Repurposing Antique Jewelry

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I am wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on repurposing antique jewelry?

I used to be all for keeping antique pieces in their original form, especially if the piece was in wearable condition. But recently I have spotted a couple of pieces of varying age that I think I would wear more if parts of them were removed and made into another piece of jewelry. One of the pieces would have the stones removed to be reused and another would have an entire component removed and used in a different piece.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘ve seen some lovely brooches repurposed in to bracelets, crescent brooches in to necklaces, so I’d have no objection to repurposing something in to a more wearable piece.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I‘ve seen some lovely brooches repurposed in to bracelets, crescent brooches in to necklaces, so I’d have no objection to repurposing something in to a more wearable piece.

Thanks for your thoughts, always interesting to hear :) I agree with you on seeing some really lovely jewelry conversions, I actually love seeing how people remake some of their pieces!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have purchased a few brooches for the purpose of using the old cut diamonds but haven’t yet taken them apart, partly because I don’t have a specific plan and partly because one of them is super high quality and I’m hesitant to destroy it.

However, I have decided that if the royal family can take apart old heirlooms and repurpose them into new pieces then so can we, gosh darn it!

The one I purchased today is more likely to be worn by me if I replace the pearl with something else I think but even then it’s hard to mess with an original piece isn’t it?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some things are too beautiful to break up. The owner decides when and where that rule applies.:P2 I bought some contemporary things to break up and, upon seeing the whole, didn't have the heart. They don't get a lot of wear but they are fun to think about.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
we need picture @stepcutnut
i used to follow a blog by a jewler called Calla (gold fish moment i forget her last name )*
but she was always saying wear it , don't warehouse it !

edit
*Gold, Calla Gold - how could i forget that :wall:
I like that, “wear it, don’t warehouse it”. I always like to ponder who the previous owner of the piece was and where they had worn it, so I think that is playing into some of my thoughts with repurposing antique pieces.

If the piece was in poor shape or had already been changed into something hideous, I would have no problem saving its parts to be used in another manner :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased a few brooches for the purpose of using the old cut diamonds but haven’t yet taken them apart, partly because I don’t have a specific plan and partly because one of them is super high quality and I’m hesitant to destroy it.

However, I have decided that if the royal family can take apart old heirlooms and repurpose them into new pieces then so can we, gosh darn it!

The one I purchased today is more likely to be worn by me if I replace the pearl with something else I think but even then it’s hard to mess with an original piece isn’t it?

I think that is also part of my hesitation, it is hard for me to mess with an original piece, especially if the workmanship is really intricate and high quality.

I’d love to see your newly purchased piece.
Edit-I just saw you have a thread on it-lovely!

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Some things are too beautiful to break up. The owner decides when and where that rule applies.:P2 I bought some contemporary things to break up and, upon seeing the whole, didn't have the heart. They don't get a lot of wear but they are fun to think about.

I agree, some pieces really seem too beautiful to take apart but may rarely get worn in their current forms-they are still fun to take out and look at though :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
1EED0958-7C03-4DC7-9FCE-476D18C7C71C.jpeg

@Daisys and Diamonds This is one of the pieces. Obviously the age on this piece is newer and is already a mismatched repurpose, so this one only makes me feel a little bad for taking her apart. It is a surprisingly heavy and well made piece! The center component will be removed and become a ring sitting N-S and a bezeled gem set in its place in the center of the bow.

Attachments

• 96C83F80-4F99-49AB-97CD-B63D0D49AC58.jpeg
    96C83F80-4F99-49AB-97CD-B63D0D49AC58.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 17
  • C5CFEF6E-4CFC-4C6A-8D21-F95AF742F160.jpeg
    C5CFEF6E-4CFC-4C6A-8D21-F95AF742F160.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 17

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
@stepcutnut , that brooch is in its original state. Bow brooches and the ruby and diamond combo were very chic in the 1940s. That shouldn't stop you from taking it apart if you want, but if you do, you won't be taking apart a mismatched repurpose, you'll be taking apart a classic period example in great shape. (Google "retro gold ruby diamond bow brooch" to see more examples.) There are lots of similar bow brooches floating around, so if you want to take this one apart you won't be ruining a unique masterpiece--they were very popular. This one has a hammered texture, which is a little unusual, but otherwise it looks like all the others. Have you had the rubies tested to see whether they're synthetic (and do you care)? They often used synthetic rubies during that period.

The ring, on the other hand, does look like a newer use of older stones. I could easily be wrong, but I think those diamonds are from the 19th century and the ring is from the 20th. Love that yellow diamond!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@stepcutnut , that brooch is in its original state. Bow brooches and the ruby and diamond combo were very chic in the 1940s. That shouldn't stop you from taking it apart if you want, but if you do, you won't be taking apart a mismatched repurpose, you'll be taking apart a classic period example in great shape. (Google "retro gold ruby diamond bow brooch" to see more examples.) There are lots of similar bow brooches floating around, so if you want to take this one apart you won't be ruining a unique masterpiece--they were very popular. This one has a hammered texture, which is a little unusual, but otherwise it looks like all the others. Have you had the rubies tested to see whether they're synthetic (and do you care)? They often used synthetic rubies during that period.

The ring, on the other hand, does look like a newer use of older stones. I could easily be wrong, but I think those diamonds are from the 19th century and the ring is from the 20th. Love that yellow diamond!
Thanks for the info on the bow brooch, I had thought 1950’s. I was thinking synthetic on the rubies also, but will know more when it is looked over. I had thought a repurpose on the bow because the back of the center component has these thick areas on it.

The ring was purchased from a large estate jewelry dealer and they stated circa 1905, the shank has been replaced so no markings were available, a bit of a mystery maybe. I loved the three different colors of the old cut diamonds, but knew the setting was very well loved.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
AFB72807-13FA-40B8-8BD0-FFC5122A0EA0.jpeg

Last edited:

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

I think those are there for stability.

Yes, the ring could be genuine Art Nouveau instead of later revival, and the diamonds could have been cut at the end of the old-mine-cut era--I could be wrong about the dating.

Anyway, it's your jewelry and you can do what you like with it. People have been resetting gemstones for as long as there have been gemstones and metal and jewelry.

Last edited:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That ring and the fancy colors are A-mazing!!! I take apart antiques all the time any redesign them, sometimes wearing them as is and then redesigning. It’s like buying two pieces instead of one!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I think those are there for stability.

Yes, the ring could be genuine Art Nouveau instead of later revival, and the diamonds could have been cut at the end of the old-mine-cut era--I could be wrong about the dating.

Anyway, it's your jewelry and you can do what you like with it. People have been resetting gemstones for as long as there have been gemstones and metal and jewelry.
I always wish my pre-loved pieces could talk so they could tell me their history, some things I would probably not want to know, but others would be very interesting!

When I first saw the center portion on the bow brooch, I had pictured it as a section of an art deco bracelet similar to this, wouldn’t that have been a fabulous piece to own-swoon!

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
That ring and the fancy colors are A-mazing!!! I take apart antiques all the time any redesign them, sometimes wearing them as is and then redesigning. It’s like buying two pieces instead of one!
Thank you, I love the large diamonds green fluorescence also! Do you have any repurposing projects in the works currently?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer your original question, I am one of those where it makes my heart hurt to see these pieces changed but that is just me. If I could, I would rescue every vintage piece but alas, I can't. You get to do whatever you want with your own jewelry, however. There is no law or person that can says you can't. I've seen some lovely conversions.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
To answer your original question, I am one of those where it makes my heart hurt to see these pieces changed but that is just me. If I could, I would rescue every vintage piece but alas, I can't. You get to do whatever you want with your own jewelry, however. There is no law or person that can says you can't. I've seen some lovely conversions.

I understand your desire to save every vintage piece and keep it in its original form! Always interesting to hear everyones thoughts on this and I agree on seeing some beautiful conversions :)

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Yes! If the royal family and Cartier are alright with recycling, who’s to say we should be afraid of it?

clairebc

Rough_Rock

I have the same feelings, about being hesitant to destroy high quality pieces. I have a brooch on the way that I intended to harvest the old cut diamond from. Its not the most "high quality" piece, but its not exactly just a chunk of metal either.

But I don't wear brooches!!! I need to stop buying them haha. broa.PNG

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
It would depend on the piece but yes, I have also bought brooches to specifically use the melee on projects. I currently have 2 brooches with half of their melee taken out and a ring with most of its melee taken out.

I have specifically NOT bought pieces that look high end or just too pretty to take apart lol

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have the same feelings, about being hesitant to destroy high quality pieces. I have a brooch on the way that I intended to harvest the old cut diamond from. Its not the most "high quality" piece, but its not exactly just a chunk of metal either.

But I don't wear brooches!!! I need to stop buying them haha. broa.PNG

I love your new brooch, the stone looks lovely!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
It would depend on the piece but yes, I have also bought brooches to specifically use the melee on projects. I currently have 2 brooches with half of their melee taken out and a ring with most of its melee taken out.

I have specifically NOT bought pieces that look high end or just too pretty to take apart lol
You sound like you’ve been busy redesigning some of your pieces, do you have any pics of your projects? I wouldn’t be able to take apart most of the high end pieces I have seen either so understand your hesitation in purchasing them.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
You sound like you’ve been busy redesigning some of your pieces, do you have any pics of your projects? I wouldn’t be able to take apart most of the high end pieces I have seen either so understand your hesitation in purchasing them.

Sure! I have found that old cut melees can be quite expensive so I usually have a specific project in mind when I am looking for pieces to buy for the purpose of dismantling them. I have also found that smaller size old cut melees are harder to source (below 2.5mm) and that it’s actually easier to source bigger melee sizes. It’s even more difficult to find smaller melee in specific sizes or in graduating sizes. Unless the vendor for the melee and the designer are all in-house or one company, I think it’s just not worth it for most melee vendors to weed through to find such small melees in specific sizes to sell. For a couple of my projects, I specifically needed old cut melee in graduating sizes. So I looked for brooches that have such graduated melees.

Here is a pic of my graveyard of leftovers.
BF5D58C9-3198-4063-B8B2-F881F68326B7.jpeg

I used this brooch for most of the melees on this halo clip (a few of the melee needed to be bigger than the biggest ones on the brooch so Caysie had to source the bigger ones).
21D500A7-B001-4658-A119-D872BAFF2C38.jpeg
Here is a thread on the whole project.

The ring and the other brooch were used for setting for this stone. I haven’t done a thread on it yet.
541C2A49-624F-4C56-8A33-AD484763365F.jpeg

I do have a few ideas as to what I wanted to do with the leftovers as I am done with the 2 main projects for which I bought them. Mainly I want to use the 2 trefoils from the brooch to make it into a cross over ring kind of like this.
74D10368-B802-4362-9187-F530FB8B1C44.jpeg

However, I still have a project pending so I need to save some pennies before I finalize what I want to do and get them done lol. I also think it’s always nice to have some graduated melees on hand for possible future projects since they are hard to source.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results