shape
carat
color
clarity

replacing a stone in a bezel ring?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a very simple question. If I have a beautiful bezel setting, but the stone in it is not so beautiful, and you have a beautiful stone of a similar size, how easy is it to replace the stone in the bezel? It it technically easy, or does it ruin the bezel?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My understanding was that you have to sacrifice one, either the stone or the bezel. I am really hoping someone else, maybe Michael E, will chime in as well.

Would you be willing to post a picture?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been told by a few jewellers and read in RT that it is extremely challenging to remove a stone from a bezel setting. Like IndyLady, the stone will likely be damaged to preserve the bezel or the bezel will likelyt be damaged to remove the stone.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
crasru|1290145519|2772592 said:
It it technically easy, or does it ruin the bezel?

It all depends, (don't you hate hearing that?) If you don't mind destroying the existing stone, then it's as easy as heating the existing stone and touching it with an ice cube...POP...out it comes, (in pieces). Sometimes you need to smack it with a small metal rod and a hammer, (this is fun as it is a method of "getting even" for years of getting cut, burned, poked and abraded fingers). If you do want to keep the existing stone you then have to decide between that stone and the bezel, because one has to get cut to get to the other.

Sometimes it becomes much more difficult and that happens when the bezel is so thick and heavy that it can't be moved, even by removing the existing stone. In that case the existing stone will still be a goner, but the bezel may require rebuilding as well. If this is the case then I would suggest finding someone who can do the rebuild with a laser welder, since the repair can be accomplished without much heat going into the rest of the setting, (and any small stones), and you don't have solder flowing in places that you may not want it. A picture of your existing setting would be helpful in giving you better advice.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well taking that malachite out would be easy. Fitting the new stone may be a bit tougher. With bezel settings the stone has to fit very closely to the bezel. If the new stone is larger, then cutting it down a touch is pretty easy. If it's smaller, then you'll need to rethink this and perhaps get a different stone which is cut to fit. What's your new stone look like crasru?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it is a far-fetched project... I am just looking at bad stones in my bezels and want to change them for something nicer. I have no stone for this very bezel!

Like in that song by Beatles, remember?

("I got no car and it's breaking my heart
But I've found a driver/(bezel) and that's a start")

So... no stone so far. Any ideas are welcome!

Michael, do you ever go to Seattle Gem and Beads Shows?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results