shape
carat
color
clarity

Removing Lazer inscribed stones from Estate rings easily and without cutting. Advice please

BespokeMinestones

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a few stones that have come out of other estate rings that have laser inscription on them. Would like to easily remove without a big deal and they are on the edge so can't hide with prong. Please share your easy tips

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask why you would want to remove the laser engraving on a stone? Most arent visible to the naked eye so I'm a little confused
by your question.

BespokeMinestones

Rough_Rock
Trade
The client can see it and I can see it. It's ugly.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Is this beyond just a GIA number inscription? Those generally aren't visible to the naked eye. Polishing the girdles might be an option?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From another thread:
FA22DA25-DC9B-41E3-99EA-1C8D4A59835E.jpeg

I’m pretty confident this translates into
I’ve got a stone with a crap GIA and I’d like to remove the inscription so I can sell it with a much more flattering [insert second tier lab here] report without the ghosts of GIAs past coming back to haunt me, and I don’t want to lose any caratage doing so.

But hey, maybe I’m just having a muesli sort of Wednesday.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Silly me, I figured it out. This is that 50 carat stone (that was asked about in another thread) where you can actually
see* the engraving!:lol:

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Relocating my reply from this thread.

Hi. I read a comment when I was googling removing a Lazer number off a clients stone. You said you knew if a way to be less invasive. Would absolutely love to know any suggestions as she can't stand it and doesn't have papers to go with it. It is a code by the distributor. Much appreciated.

RE: << ...doesn't have papers to go with it. >> You may be able to match the inscription to documentation. You might begin with GIA, IGI, AGS, GCAL. If your client acquired the diamond outside the USA it could have been graded by a regional lab - which may also have online lookup.

RE: << ...You said you knew if a way to be less invasive. >> Modern cold laser inscriptions are less than 5 microns deep - that's 1/10th of the thickness of a human hair. Do you know how long ago the diamond was inscribed? Is it visible to the naked eye or does it bother her, even being invisible?

There are invisible personalization alternatives to conventional inscriptions. The drawback is that they require a specialized viewer to see - so if the diamond were lost it's less likely to be reported to the issuing lab by a good Samaritan and matched to its owner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results