shape
carat
color
clarity

Removing a Diamon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

2sell

Rough_Rock
I have a round diamond in a junky setting. I want to sell the diamond loose. How can I take the diamond out of the setting by myself? I''m happy to completely destroy the setting. Thanks

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
depends on the setting. If it''s a solitare you could clip one or two of the prongs off and the diamond should slide out...

if it''s bezel set, it''s trickier. Sometimes it requires heating up the metal with some flux to help the solder flow, and then carefully removing the bezel. Altho I would probably let a jeweler do that, incase it''s not really a diamond, or to make sure it hasn''t been treated or enhanced...

I wouldn''t try to pry the prongs off by yourself though.. doing stuff like that can chip ur diamond.

Let us know what kind of setting it is, and I''m sure someone can assist you better.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
2sell, I'd strongly advise you to ask a professional to remove your diamond from its setting. I'm sure you'd be mortified if you tried it yourself and chipped the stone in the process. A jeweler won't charge much for the task.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d let a professional do it. You don''t want to accidently chip the diamond why trying to take it out. It shouldn''t cost very much or take very long.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AND THRITTO! DON'T try this at home! Diamonds are not as tough as some people may think, there can be weak areas or you could be just unlucky and it chips. Leave it to a pro who does this all the time, it will take 2 seconds and not cost much.

2sell

Rough_Rock
How much will it cost? Because I might be willing to take the risk.
And what is the difference between a solitare setting and a bezel?
Thanks for your advice.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I would try to find a local bench jeweler (not a mall store, which may not even have anyone but sales associates on hand) and ask for a price. The other benefit of this is that some will buy "junk" jewelery if it is gold, b/c the metal can be recycled. It might end up costing you nothing or a nominal fee if you can sell them the setting for scrap.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2007 8:04:41 PM
Author: 2sell
How much will it cost? Because I might be willing to take the risk.
And what is the difference between a solitare setting and a bezel?
Thanks for your advice.
The cost shouldn't be much I would have thought, give a jeweller a call and they should give you a rough figure. A bezel setting encases the diamond around the girdle half way( half bezel) or completely ( full bezel) so that you only see the top of the diamond. A solitaire setting is a setting with prongs to hold one diamond.

If you look on the first page of this thread, there are some examples of some solitaire and a bezel setting on the first page.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don’t do this at home. Really.

What are you going to do with the diamond when you’re done?
Set it in something else? Have it pulled by whoever you are planning on setting it.
Sell it to someone else? Have it pulled by whoever you are planning to use to grade it. On the resale market, professional grading is usually essential anyway.
Keep it in a little Ziploc bag until you decide later? Keep it in the setting until you decide.

The difference between doing this skillfully and doing it amateurishly can be the difference between ending up with a chipped stone and a saleable one. It’s not especially difficult to do but it does take some practice, some dexterity and some tools.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2007 8:02:54 AM
Author: denverappraiser

Don’t do this at home. Really.

What are you going to do with the diamond when you’re done?
Set it in something else? Have it pulled by whoever you are planning on setting it.
Sell it to someone else? Have it pulled by whoever you are planning to use to grade it. On the resale market, professional grading is usually essential anyway.
Keep it in a little Ziploc bag until you decide later? Keep it in the setting until you decide.

The difference between doing this skillfully and doing it amateurishly can be the difference between ending up with a chipped stone and a saleable one. It’s not especially difficult to do but it does take some practice, some dexterity and some tools.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
Exactly. For the cost of...I don''t know...a fewish dollars, why risk it? It is the sort of job which is a reasonable doddle in most cases if you know what you are doing, if not it can go horrifically wrong and you are sunk. Call a jeweller and ask him how much he would charge, he can probably do it while you wait.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are local to us, we''d remove it for you n/c. Probably there is someone who feels qualified out wherever you live who would do the same for you. Unless the way it is set is very unsuaul, the removal is almost instantaneous. A novice can readily break or chip a diamond trying to pry it improperly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results