shape
carat
color
clarity

Remembering the 80''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
OK, raise your hand if you had a Member''s Only jacket!! How about if you guys parted your hair down the middle and feathered it back? Who wore penny loafers with no socks?

C''mon, you know who you are!!

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Members Only jackets? Of course I had one!

Did you see Shallow Hal? When Gwyneth Paltrow''s character meets Jason Alexander''s character (Hal''s friend)...

Gwyneth: "Is that a Member''s Only jacket you''re wearing?"

Jason: "Why yes, it is..."

Gwyneth: "So, what are you, like the last member?"

Feathered back hair parted down the middle and sprayed with like a half a can of aerosol Aqua Net

or

Scrunching your body permed hair to crispy with Aussie Sprunch Spray

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2005 4:30:15 PM
Author: heart prongs
Members Only jackets? Of course I had one!

Did you see Shallow Hal? When Gwyneth Paltrow''s character meets Jason Alexander''s character (Hal''s friend)...

Gwyneth: ''Is that a Member''s Only jacket you''re wearing?''

Jason: ''Why yes, it is...''

Gwyneth: ''So, what are you, like the last member?''

Feathered back hair parted down the middle and sprayed with like a half a can of aerosol Aqua Net

or

Scrunching your body permed hair to crispy with Aussie Sprunch Spray
Hah! Saw that movie last night & howled at that comment. I am embarrassed to say we still own a Member''s Only jacket. Never owned one when they were cool though. I finally had to pry this hand me down off of my husband - he''s a comfort freak. Though we both still wear it when walking the dogs in the country. It''s a HUGE RED DOWN one. We wear it during the cold months when it''s hunting season. No one mistakes us for a deer.
28.gif
9.gif

Bermuda Bags - yep had one bag & several "covers" to button on. I had a pink and green one, a navy one w/ green (lime) monograming, and another. Though I gave those up when I graduated. I must be the biggest pack rat on the planet; as, I just recently gave it to goodwill. Too many memories attached I quess.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I used to love those macrame purses with the wooden beads and fringe. I also remember going out to clubs and seeing girls wearing their bras on the outside of their tops. A lot of girls wore high heeled pumps with either fishnet hose to match their outfits, or little ruffled ankle socks. Layers were also really popular. I had an outfit once that was a short skirt that I wore leggings underneath with pumps, and on top I wore an open lace vest with a tank top underneath! Barrettes with big floppy bows stuck on them were popular as well. I think that a lot of fashions were really inspired by the way that Madonna dressed in her videos. Guys used to seem to want to dress like those Miami Vice guys. Jeans with the knees ripped out were popular with guys, too if I remember right.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I was born in 83 so I remember thinking Garth Brooks was the sexist man alive, wearing two pairs of socks in oppisate order and my fathers bdu undershirts to school. My sister had my little ponies and twenty years later my little sis has them too...nothing ever really changes. I remeber flop ''ems the stuffed animals that you could turn inside out Gumby and The Last Unicorn. I remember think Dave Justice and his wife were the perfect baseball couple, I was then and still am a Braves fan. I remember HUGE bow that our mother made us out of ribbons. Mostly I remember things that had nothing to do with fashion like all the places we lived. Oh and yes I had a cabbage Patch Doll and it scared the hell out of me as do most dolls....creepy buggers. I dont know if IT acutally came out in the 80''s of it Killer Clowns from outspace did either but both of those movies scared the HELL out of me and I am still very much afriad of clowns, I wont even go with my family to the circus. Oh well I guess how we veiw things is affected heavily by what age we were.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I remember the clothing really well since I made all of mine from Vogue patterns to be aheard of the fashion curve.

- really big hair styles that required daily use of a set of hot rollers
- later, spiral perms for big hair without the bother of hot rollers
- green, red, pink, blue, other brightly colored streaks appeared in hair locally for the first time
- 2-tone hair as in blond and black
- sculptured haircuts that relied heavily on mousse
- 3 or 4 colors of eye shadow applied in vertical lines
- other avant garde eye makeup ala September 1984 Vogue magazine
- that "urban cowboy" look came and went a couple of times so I've kept my fringed jackets and boots just in case...
- clothing with metal studs, and signs appeared on store doors saying "Absolutely no one admitted wearing metal studded clothing."
- the “tuexdo look” of women’s very early ‘80s fashions (led to the extended shoulder & shoulder pads)
- jeans and skirts with the "paper bag" too-big waist gathered in with a belt
- heavily sequined and beaded sweaters and dresses
- revival of the ‘20s headband in bridal headpieces and other ‘20s influences
- early ‘80s wedding dresses still could have a huge ruffle around the bottom
- leather bomber jackets in distressed brown
- preppy look, oxford button down shirts, penny loafers
- pinstriped denim
- straight leg pants with a big pleat down the side seam
- career blouses with either vertical or horizontal pleats on the front
- chemise dresses that hung straight down, no waist, no belt
- flanged extended shoulders on jackets and jumpers, ala Michael Jackson’s Thriller jacket
- asymmetrical jackets and blouses that fastened off-center
- skirts with slits but the number and placement seemingly changed every year
- Moonlight and Cheers on TV had seemingly everyone's attention but mine
- very short-lived return of the balloon skirt dress
- very short-lived revival of pink and black outfits particularly polka dots
- Zodiac boots
- white leather hightop sneakers on women, worn with floppy untied laces
- some kinda ankle-high white high heeled leather boots worn with white lacy anklet socks ala Madonna (a little hazy on that one since I never owned any)
- burgundy sandal shoes with low wooden platform bottoms
- burgundy leather jackets, shoes, purses in general
- revival of 2-tone spectator shoes
- Hawaiian print shirts went mainstream in mid-'80s
- gold nugget style jewelry and watches
- I bought a cz ring that still looks impressive
- guys started buying pocket watches again
- you could still buy a solid brass bed trimmed with onyx or marble from the Spiegel catalog and it was affordable
- Morris Day and The Time, LOL. “What time is it”!
- that “Flashlight” song that was such a dancefloor hit
- “Caribbean Queen” played ad nauseum
- rap and hip hop got a toehold on mainstream FM. Little did we know it would take over.
- I developed an automatic gag reflex to anything recorded by or involving Kenny Rogers.
- Steely Dan broke up, Donald Fagen did Nightfly, then I was forced to turn to genuine jazz, a very good thing. Many thanks, Donald and Walter. I can never repay you, especially if you won’t book any concerts in the flyovers. ;-)
- small 4-cylinder Japanese cars with 1200 or 1600 cc engines and manual transmissions but they still had an honest to gosh oil pressure gauge
- Ford put a 4-cylinder in a Taurus. What were they thinking? We promptly renamed it the Bulbous.
- DUI laws were never enforced here, and you could tell it was Friday or Saturday night just by the driving. Everybody drank at home, then went out to the bars at 10 PM. I’ll never forget following one particular car down the Interstate through town. It kept veering over and scraping the concrete wall, throwing sparks for two miles. We didn’t think much of it at the time, LOL. Just another Friday night in a quasi-Southern city…
- the city's mayor, several other prominent citizens, and the hottest night spot in town were busted for cocaine-related charges, that bar closed, crack cocaine and it's crimes came to town, and nightlife as we had known it ended forever

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you who were married in the ''80''s or were guests at weddings then. All the rage in bridal fashion were portrait hats with a veil attached at the back. They were big satin covered hats. I bet I went to 3-4 weddings where the bride wore a hat. Ivory wedding dresses or "candlelight" as the color was called was very popular. Hardly any of my friends married in the ''80''s chose pure white. Blush dresses or very light blue wedding dresses were popular too. Does anyone know what I''m talking about?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, I remember the bridal hats with the veil attached. And remember the gowns that were really popular, lace to the wrists and neck, but no lining, so you could see the skin on the arms and above the cleavage? Ack.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 5/22/2005 11:31:55 PM
Author: MrsFrk
Oh yes, I remember the bridal hats with the veil attached. And remember the gowns that were really popular, lace to the wrists and neck, but no lining, so you could see the skin on the arms and above the cleavage? Ack.
yes i totally remember this.... and weird mermaid sausage dresses!!!!

the other day on the radio they had a ''totally 80''s weekend''...it was awesome. hehee.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was called an "illusion neckline".

My dress had one!!!
9.gif
I was a bride in 1991. By that time the hats were gone.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/22/2005 11:42:06 PM
Author: pearcrazy

I think it was called an 'illusion neckline'.

My dress had one!!!
9.gif
I was a bride in 1991. By that time the hats were gone.
Sort of like this? You know, I loved that dress way back then. Now I look at it and kind of wonder what was I thinking? The portrait hats were never my style, but all of the veils had a pouf in the back then in the mid 80's to early 90's, a big bow at the back bodice was all the rage too.

bridein91.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
LOL>... I remember th e 80''s.. Went from 6-16 through them. HAD A MILLION!!! Jelly bracelets and somehow I was able to get my bangs to do that crazy foo foo thing... well at least as long as I had enough AQUA NET! Jelly sandals, K-swiss and those horrible big round classes.. (I cringe) Spiral perms and HUGE neon hoop earrings. WE used to fold our jeans on the bottom to make them clinge tighter. I had freinds that wore those parachute pants all the time. I had one of those skirts made from lace and taffeta and wore my spandex pants under them...LOL>... I look at pictures now and wonder... WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Born in ''72 so the 80''s were very important fashion years for me. Here are a few that I haven''t seen mentioned

-cut off gloves, or wearing different color ones on each hand

-Fluorescent/Neon green/pink/yellow EVERYTHING....socks, t-shirts, hairbows (like madonna)

-Metal studded belts, bracelets, collars ( I went through a puck phase)

-Skirts with lots of metal embellishment, some that were pulled and draped up like curtains

-Kung-foo shoes

-Folding and rolling Jeans just so with high top basketball shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results