shape
carat
color
clarity

Remembering the 80''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2005 6:18:51 PM
Author: jenwill

Mara- I remember the roach clips, but also barrette with ribbons braided into them, a big plastic comb in my back pocket to perfectly feather my hair, too many ''tails'' in people''s hair- boys and girls. Bizarre asymetrical haircuts.
isn''t that use for smoking weed.
33.gif
6.gif

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
rolled up pants, no socks, and leather shoes with no socks that started stinking after a few days... miami vice style...
21.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I graduated from high school in 1982, from college in 1986. Definately my decade. I''m going to dig up some pictures and post em for a good laugh!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anybody remember those steam curling irons?? I''m amazed I didn''t fry my hair trying to get the perfect curl!!
6.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 6:12:14 PM
Author: JCJD
I was born in 1982, so my 80''s was more like jorman''s.

Jellies, stirrup pants, Tiffany (the singer, not the jeweler!), Debbie Gibson, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK!!!!! Cabbage Patch, Pound Puppies, Popples, stretch pants, with and without stirrups, tight-rolled jeans, Scrunchies everywhere, big humongo hoop earrings, bangle bracelets a la Madonna, snap bracelets, oversize shirts, and Gem makeup on all the girls in 5th grade!
Ha! I forgot about Popples! I had 2 of ''em and Pound Puppies too. I still have a slap bracelet somewhere. I had Gem makeup. I can still remember the way it smelled. My favorite was the silver eyeshadow. Do you remember Tinkerbelle finger nail polish? It would peal off when it was dry.

Did you wear those stupid "shirt belts", they were in different shapes and you fed your sirt through them so they would fit like they were tied in a knot? I had one that was a parrot.

OH and puff paint t-shirts. YUCK! They would get all nasty and cracked after you washed them

It ws a BIG deal to go to the skating ring, eat pop rocks and make fun of all the dorky kids that didn''t have on two different color of socks.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 6:29:16 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 5/20/2005 6:18:51 PM

Mara- I remember the roach clips, but also barrette with ribbons braided into them, a big plastic comb in my back pocket to perfectly feather my hair, too many ''tails'' in people''s hair- boys and girls. Bizarre asymetrical haircuts.
isn''t that use for smoking weed.
33.gif
6.gif
Well- yes I know that is their primary use. But, add a few feathers at the end of some leather strings, and you have a nifty hair adornment!

Goodness- banana clips- I had so many, and so few worked! They would constantly slip out of my hair becasue I have thin blond hair an dnot luxurious strands to hold them in place.

And those steam curling irons...it is a wonder we aren''t all burnt to a crisp and bald. Add the Sun-In self hair highlighter and a nice perm and you have the makings of a fine steel wool scrubbing pad.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Tinkerbelle nail polish!! How could I forget? My sister and I would paint it on our palms really thick and peel it off like Elmer''s glue!

I just had the circular shirt-belts. Perfect for all your oversize t-shirts!

OMG! Puff paint!! and Pop Rocks!

Hey! I was one of those dorky kids! LOL - all white socks for me! I did have an all-turquoise outfit though - turquoise bodysuit, turquoise stretch pants, and big thick turquoise socks! As if the stretch pants didn''t make my legs look like drumsticks already! Ewww!!!

Ooh- Lite Brite!! We also had those rocks you can grow underwater. And Chia pets!! I think I''m reverting to childhood now.....
19.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 7:06:40 PM
Goodness- banana clips- I had so many, and so few worked! They would constantly slip out of my hair becasue I have thin blond hair an dnot luxurious strands to hold them in place.

And those steam curling irons...it is a wonder we aren''t all burnt to a crisp and bald. Add the Sun-In self hair highlighter and a nice perm and you have the makings of a fine steel wool scrubbing pad.

I have too much hair for banana clips. Thank goodness my mom didn''t let me thin my hair out! I did have the 80''s perm though. I don''t know what I was thinking!! And I''d use a normal hairbrush on it, so it would get big and frizzy! Ugh... I need to burn those pictures! Loved the steam curlers though!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... I graduated from college in 80, and was single, professional, and living at the beach until the late 80''s... that meant...

pin strip suits by day with poofy synthetic blouses and silk scarf fake ties... yuck
costume jewelry -- icky, gaudy earrings and weird strands of quasi-jems... yuck again
stirrup pants with huge sweaters and shoulder pads... double yuck
big poofy hair bows -- I had 10''s of them in all prints, colors, and fabrics. oh, my...
off the shoulder, ripped sweatshirts and t-shirts for aerobics and general "cool" casual style... huh? what were we thinking?
dolphin runing shorts ... did the job
Biggg sunglasses ... saw some pics recently, and was amazed at the sheer size
Preppy style was in for some, but at the beach it wasn''t as big -- you either did the preppy look or you didn''t. I never did it well. Too stiff for me.

From what I remember, it was sort of a black hole for music except for the new age/jazz at the later half of the decade.

Not necessarily loving the styles right now -- not too flattering on many people, and I wore the same things back in junior high... Now I really feel old...

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
this thread is too funny! I was born in 75 so the 80s were my grade school years. I cracked up at everything everyone has already said because been there done that too. What else do I remember...

friendship pins you put on your shoes
platic charm necklaces and bracelets (some charms were HUGE!)
jellie shoes and bracelets
leg warmers (shudder)and stirrup pants were the worst!
telephone cord bracelets and belts (in neon colors of course)
barettes with either a HUGE bow attached or with ribbons and beads dangling from them
reeboks velcro high tops in every color
Mullets! My mom gave me one before 5th grade picture day
29.gif
, but then it grew out to nice feathers and wings on the side
38.gif

crimping irons
rubics cube!
Atari-- I was the Q Bert champion!!!
Garbage Pail Kids
Underoos!
Swatch watches and Coca Cola watches (and wearing them all at the same time)

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Big sunglasses alright. I had a pair of Ray Ban aviators made in my eyeglasses prescription. I remember that they cost $250. That was a fortune to me back then when I was first out of school and living on my own, but hey, I had to be cool in my Ray Bans since I couldn''t wear my contacts in the water.

Speaking of the beach, remember when you were square to wear any sunscreen higher than spf 8? That smell of the pina colada scented Hawaiin Tropic tanning oil around the pool spf 2 (why bother?). We all looked like a bunch of glazed hams frying in the sun.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, this might be slightly pre-80''s (and I think Suzi was my twin, separated at birth!), but does anyone else remember wearing pierced earrings on your shirt/sweater like a pin? And silk bows on the neck of your blouse? How about "cowel neck" sweaters that caught the crumbs of everything you were eating?

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun thread!! I loved the 80''s. I graduated high school in ''82 so most of my wild years were in that decade. I love to watch those VH1 "I Love the 70''s, ''80''s and 90''s" Brings back sooo many memories. I remember hating my Mother''s choice of music when we would ride in the car. All she ever wanted to listen to were songs from the 50''s and of course now all I enjoy are song''s from the 80''s. We really do become our Mother''s don''t we
9.gif
?!

This thread brings a big smile
9.gif
21.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, yes, yes......
and......parachute pants....
and breakdancing!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anybody remember the music by the Roaches??

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 10:37:51 PM
Author: kaleigh
sing of few lines for us kaleigh (i don''t remember!
37.gif
)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are Teddy, Freddy and Suzi.... Oh I forget the rest, but boy did we love that song. I''m sure I even got the first three names wrong. Oh well someone will know and help me out.
34.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2005 10:37:51 PM
Author: kaleigh
hey kaleigh

you think we''re that old?
27.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
This is fun! I was born in '76 so the 80's were my "growing up" years. All this talk is bringing back such fond memories...I love it!

Here are some things I remember that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Big Wheels
Sit n Spin
Pogo balls
Varnet
Bicycles with a plastic basket and plastic flowers, and streamers from the handle bars, and those neon colored things put on spokes to make the bike "rattle" when ridden.
When we played outside all day and came home filthy before computers and cable were around
Freezie Freakies
Moon boots
Simon (the circular game with buttons that lit up)
Strawberry Shortcake
Hollie Hobbie
Shrinky Dinks
Doctor's kit with a working stethescope
Rollar skates with metal wheels
Bowl and Dorothy Hamill haircuts...I was lucky enough to get the bowl cut.
6.gif

Friendship bracelets... you would to safety pin them to your pants so the bracelet wouldn't move while making them
Plastic Charm bracelets and necklaces
Wearing as many Swatches you could at one time...on both arms
Spiral perms
Hair Crimpers and Wavers
Madonna inspired clothes
Jelly bracelets...as many as you could get on
Velcro sneakers
Star Wars, He-Man, She-Ra and Voltron....I loved playing with action figures but my mom didn't understand that much because I'm a girl
2.gif

Barbie, Ken and Skipper
Chasing the boy you liked around the playground
30.gif

Dodgeball (when it still allowed to be played at school...it was part of gym class for us!)
King of the Mountain/Hill
Purple Rain
Mexican jumping beans
Commodore computer...playing Pong (we've come a long way since then!), Lemonade Stand and "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?"...or was that the Apple II E?
Nintendo...Mario and Luigi kicked a$$!

Wow! I could keep on going! I have to stop now!
9.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
L O L !!!

Okay, maybe I shouldn''t post here....

LOL, LOL, LOL.....

My favorite piece of jewelry was a peace sign dog tag on a chain. (Look at the leg on the bell bottoms). I got to watch that oh so hot and controversial group from decadent England fly over and go on the Ed Sullivan show. Yes, the Beatles....

Woodstock was close enough that I almost went, but couldn''t hitch a ride....

The 80''s???? Nah....

small_Websailor_As_A_Teenager.jpg

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, this thread has me rolling.

Hypercolor shirts
Z. Cavaricci pants
Keds with no laces
lace gloves with no fingers (a la Madonna)
3 or 4 pairs of socks layered on top of each other
Esprit (soooo expensive, my immigrant parents looked at me like I sprouted another head)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm the 80s...
I escaped high school in 88

I wore the same thing I do now.
Jeans and black t-shirts w/ black shoes.

Beat up preppies for fun.
Tangled with the jocks from time to time
Hung out with the geeks, outcasts and rotc folks.
Pretty much got along with no-one except a group of about 20 people hmmmm not much has changed :}

Music,
AC/DC, metalica, def leapord, Bon Jovi, and the like.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
orbaya, your She-ra/He-man totally sparked a memory for me.....I was none-too-impressed (and had my young latent feminism stirred!!) that He-man got to say "by the power of Greyskull" and She-ra had to say "by the HONOR of Greyskull". Pretty funny for the third grade.

Then again, this is the same elementary school where in 1980 there were chants of "yay for Reagan, boo for Carter, and Anderson''s down the drain." I know. Weird for a bunch of six and seven year olds--amazing how influenced we are by our parents.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 5:10:17 PM
Author: bluedawg

At least we had MTV. And my favorite Duran Duran member was Roger-- the drummer!
25.gif
He's the one in the middle.
I loved Duran Duran. Remember the name written out as D2 (the 2 being written as the square root of D)? lol

They came to my city a bit ago, like a month ago, and I really wanted to see them, but didn't.
7.gif

All these posts bring back so many memories. About polo shirts. . . I bought one the other day and the style has definetly changed since the 80s. The one I purchased is Ralph Lauren polo, but it's ultra thin and super tight rather than the boxy-cut shirt style from way back when
9.gif
It's a lot more flattering.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Oh this is fun...

What everyone said+

Bermuda Bags - I remember buying my first one in Marblehead, Mass...still the preppiest town in America. It had the wooden handles and the detachable bag part of mine was pink and green -- with my monogram of course! Did anyone want to change their name to Muffy after reading The Preppy Handbook ?

Nothing came between my and my Calvin's

Music - Definitely The Go-Go's, Modern English, Bruce Springsteen's "Born In the USA", Bryan Adams. Remember MTV's quiz show "Remote Control"? Vee-jays?

Doug Flutie made Boston College the toughest school to get into while my friends were applying in the mid-80s...

AIDS -- a disease that totally ruined the plans for all the students in my strict catholic girls' school's plans to break loose in college!

I went in tanning beds for like 35 minutes at a time...

Knot's Landing was my favorite show in the whole wide world!

Champion Shorts and OP (Ocean Pacific), jump suits that I thought I looked incredibly hot wearing, cloissane (sp?) earrings,

Excessive yellow gold -- especially in the form of charms (Nefertiti, Italian horn, puffed heart, unicorn, etc...) and a charm holder that said something like "Memories"!!!

That's all for now!!!

klr
35.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2005 1:05:27 PM
Author: heart prongs
I went in tanning beds for like 35 minutes at a time...

Knot''s Landing was my favorite show in the whole wide world!
I was the Hawaiian Tropics queen
10.gif
. I even had tan feet, and can''t believe that I tanned my face as much as I could.

Don''t forget those Dynasty parties! The decade of big, rich family nighttime soaps....

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
"I can see you, your brown skin shinin'' in the sun"

Was that Don Henley song about you AND me??!!
9.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2005 1:26:43 PM
''I can see you, your brown skin shinin'' in the sun''

9.gif
Must have been
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 5/21/2005 1:34:53 PM
Author: lop

Date: 5/21/2005 1:26:43 PM
''I can see you, your brown skin shinin'' in the sun''

9.gif
Must have been
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
10.gif
I LOVE that song!!!

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Oh, god the hypercolor shirts!

I remember when that fad came out - some special fabric that turned hot pink when you worked out as you developed more body heat.

I live in the south and one summer I sprung for a hypercolor T shirt. Which was more expensive, you recall. Because it was in style - right?

Wore it out of the house and soon there were these bright pink - ARMPITS!

Oh, this looks ladylike, indeed.

Pit stains without even sweating! I paid extra for this?

Who came up with this fad? Why not just skip the antiperspirant and go for the real thing?

Worn once, never again out of the drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results