shape
carat
color
clarity

Reluctant to Reset--Bezel Recommendations, Please

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Hi all--long-time PSer, but it's been forever since I've posted in Rocky Talky.

My DH bought my engagement ring at a B&M jeweler here in Boston (Shreve, Crump & Low) back in 2006. I love the ring. I always have. But the setting is one that needs to be babied and I don't live a babying kind of life. I'll post a picture below, but the problem is that there are two very small (~20 point) pears that are held into the setting by tiny (1 point) bezeled melee that serve as prongs. I love the design of it, but I've always worried about how delicate the setting is.

Long story short, last week one of the pears fell out of the ring. By pure miracle, I found the tiny sidestone, but I think my best option is to have the setting completely remade in lieu of simply putting the stone back in the same ring.

I'm beyond sentimental about this ring. I am a little bit crushed about having to reset it. But I already rarely wear the ring and I definitely don't want to have to worry about losing a stone every time I wear it. What I think I'd like to do is re-create the setting as close to the original as I can, but make it much more secure.

I'm thinking I would like to bezel set the center stone, then have the pears (and maybe some 5 point rounds) bezeled as well. The look will be different from what I have now, but I want to re-use the sidestones if I can. I'm hoping that adding milgrain will keep it looking more antique/delicate while the bezel will make it very sturdy. Plus I've always loved a bezeled asscher. I think LTP's bezeled asscher was the first I every saw and it was (is) perfection to me. And lil' misfit's bezeled asscher with milgrain and sidestones is stunning and made me realize that you can bezel and asscher and add sidestones and it will look great.

So I need help with where to go from here. Is there a vendor that does amazing bezel work? I'm leaning toward BGD because I've worked with them in the past on a pendant and they were lovely. But I'm open to using another vendor. Because I spend less time in RT these days, I'm not sure if I'm missing out on a vendor who does great bezel work. Would love some opinions.

Also, as always, feel free to tell me if you think this is a terrible idea. I'm so heart-broken about having to do this that I'm afraid I'm not thinking clearly. Posting a pic of the original setting and the mishap that I want to avoid in the future. Thanks, all!!

nel_wedding_set.jpg

sad_sad_setting.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I :love: bezels! Could you find out from BGD what you would have to pay out of pocket if they created CADs for you, but you decided not to go forward with the reset? I think it would be a good idea to have them create CADs inspired by your current setting but in a bezel form. See how you feel when you see the CADs. If they excite you, go forward. If they just don't make your heart sing, keep your ring status quo. Since this is the first time since 2006 that a stone has fallen out, maybe you need to bring your ring to a local jeweler you trust to review the prongs once a year - make sure they are nice and tight!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think David Klass (LA based, you can find him on Facebook), does excellent bezel and milgrain work, as well as Caysie Van Bebber at Love Affair Diamonds (CvB/LAD). Both do CAD work so you could see what the details are before moving forward. I really like the idea of bezeling, I don't think it would change the look all that much, but definitely would make your ring more secure so you could wear it more frequently.

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
I adore Vram's bezels. He has designs that are 3 and 5 stone bezels and they look amazing. I'm not sure what his pricepoint for custom work is (hand-forged so it won't be cheap I think), but I've had preliminary communication with them via email, and they are very friendly. Recently I had the opportunity to see some of his rings in person at a local vendor and the quality is lovely. They are low set and very practical for daily wear.

1508003_995793180439600_3544569277011034965_n.jpg

slider-2-plain.jpg

c2_7-2822583-copy-slider-front-e1409959246734.png

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
All great suggestions (and those Vram bezels are stunning!)

I think I might reach out to a few of these vendors and just ask about the process. I hadn't thought of what PintoBean suggested--looking at the CADs as a basis for the decision. Depending on the cost of the CAD creation, I could have a couple of vendors create CADs and then choose based on the CAD. Thank you all!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had lovely bezels done by BGD. You can look up my Odds and Ends necklace.

And they do CAD work. Don't do multiple CADs from different vendors. Just pick one CAD vendor whose bezel work you like and work with them.

CAD fees are usually a minimum of 500 bucks, not refundable. So it's just throwing money away.

I prefer BGD because they do everything in house. And do it well.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
hi- I love bezels!
I have had beautiful bezel rings made by CVB and David Klass. Loved working with them both for very different reasons. Caysie more of an artist and can create your vision and David will help create a design and works quickly. I think bezels are timeless and in my area, I don't see them often, so I love having something a little different :)

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm a big fan of BGD, but for this project I decided to go with David Klass because he had some great ideas about the setting and made me really excited about the final product. He answered all of my questions, had some great suggestions (which made me feel like he really understood what I was aiming for) and was very courteous. Thanks to all of you again for the suggestions!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard of Vram before, but my goodness, those are beautiful bezels! I love my bezelled ring - a 3-stone by James Meyer - but I wasn't expecting to respond to this thread since JM stopped working with customer-supplied stones years ago. From what I can tell from these pictures, Vram's bezels rival JM's. I especially like the bezel work on the solitaire, which is very similar to that on my ring, with a milgrained inner bezel. I will warn you that that style of milgraining is so fine that it's not obvious at normal viewing distances... yet it does somehow manage to soften the design. I do see it when I look at my ring up close, so in some ways it's like my little secret. The more obvious milgraining has its place too, of course, but I've pretty much been spoiled by subtle effect of the micro-milgraining.

ETA: I see we cross-posted. Good luck with your ptoject. I'm looking forward to seeing you re-made ring!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
That's awesome! He's a gentleman and was a pleasure to work with. He's very easy to work with and even though my ring design was complex, he delivered it on time :). Cannot wait to see your designs and project come to life!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what it's worth since you have already decided....I LOVE your current ring and would get it fixed!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
NewEnglandLady|1464096023|4035709 said:
I'm a big fan of BGD, but for this project I decided to go with David Klass because he had some great ideas about the setting and made me really excited about the final product. He answered all of my questions, had some great suggestions (which made me feel like he really understood what I was aiming for) and was very courteous. Thanks to all of you again for the suggestions!

Ooh, very excited to see the finished product!!

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my DK bezel reset. Besides being very well done and exactly what I wanted, changing from a high prong-set to a bezel set has made my ring easier to wear in daily life with 2 toddlers. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am excited for you!

I can't wait to see it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
N-E-L -

Here's my DK bezel ring which I received earlier this year. He does lovely bezel work and I adore this ring!

Looking forward to seeing your ring come to fruition. Good luck!

img_11796.jpg

img_11797.jpg

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
I'm no help with a vendor as mine was done in Australia but I thought I'd post my tourmaline ring as the shapes are similar. Another option of how to set the pears!
20160303_143007.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!! And I love all the pics--very helpful! I've gone from being really upset about this project to being really excited. Ring is on its way to DK and will arrive tomorrow. I'll definitely be posting throughout this process since you are all so knowledgeable.

DK offered to melt down the original setting so that I could use the old platinum in the new setting (this is what I THOUGHT I wanted to do to keep the sentimentality), but he suggested that since the setting is so sentimental for me, that I should keep it and he could strengthen it as much as he could. And re-set it with new stones to use as a RHR. I really liked that idea and want to think about how to re-use my original setting. My husband was a big fan of that suggestion as well.

Since I'm keeping my old setting, my husband suggested I get whatever kind of setting I want for the new ring. As you all know, that's like opening Pandora's Box, but ultimately I decided I still wanted to essentially replicate my old setting, but in bezel form. Might be a little odd to have 2 rings that look similar, but it's what I think would make me happiest.

So the journey begins!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go down the bezel path, take a look at designs with "raised shoulders" rather than a tube set. My grandmother dealt in high-end antiques and praised those for daily durability. Also, there have been lots of threads here about pave and its potential fragility (don't shoot me folks). She was forever replacing lost diamonds from pave settings. Also, for the value, you can't beat a pre-loved or vintage ring.

Shoulders of ring meet the bottom of bezel.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-emerald-center-item-3257

http://erstwhilejewelry.com/products/1-03-carat-vintage-art-deco-diamond-solitaire-engagement-ring

Tube-type setting
https://www.etsy.com/listing/229927252/set-7mm-moissanite-bezel-engagement-ring

Here is a bezel with pears.
http://www.jbriggsandco.com/product-p/bezpear3steng-rg.htm

Caleb Meyer has some great bezels (check out Item 3339, 3201, and 3316, but he won't generally work with stones you provide).
http://www.calebmeyer.com/showcase.php?collection=Diamond%20Rings&status=SOLD

Have fun stalking the bling!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results