shape
carat
color
clarity

Regrets-- the one that got away (or was booted out the door)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So we've done purchases we've regretted. Now let's do regrets for thing we've re-sold, returned or walked away from.

My biggest one is my mother in law's diamond ring. She describes it as a "spray cut" -- it's a transitional. It's about 1.2 carats D color and at least VS clarity (from the purchase papers and inspection). I don't know for sure about the clarity because I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET THE THING CLEAN ENOUGH. That's how amazing this diamond is even with 50 years worth of grime and oils it's still bright and shiny and beautiful.

I could have cleaned it since then but the setting is in such worn shape that once I examined it I was pretty sure the 'ick" was acting like glue and making the setting safer. :errrr:

WHY did I pass it up? I wanted a square cut. I didn't want a "round" and didn't know anything about old cuts except that her's was different in a very nice way from most rounds but it was still a round.

I love my asscher especially now that it's the reigning empress of my setting. And I am pretty sure that if I'd "settled" then I would still gripe about how I didn't get the square cut I wanted. And since my setting is the reason why I ended up on PS I'm not sure I would have even found this place.

But a couple years ago she gave it to my SIL who only sees a big center stone. She wears it to weddings and won't listen to me about getting the setting fixed. And she won't let me buy it from her. DARNIT.

So that's my "one that got away" story.

What's yours?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Regrets-- the one that got away (or was booted out the d

Gypsy|1316483572|3021081 said:
So we've done purchases we've regretted. Now let's do regrets for thing we've re-sold, returned or walked away from.

My biggest one is my mother in law's diamond ring. She describes it as a "spray cut" -- it's a transitional. It's about 1.2 carats D color and at least VS clarity (from the purchase papers and inspection). I don't know for sure about the clarity because I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET THE THING CLEAN ENOUGH. That's how amazing this diamond is even with 50 years worth of grime and oils it's still bright and shiny and beautiful.

I could have cleaned it since then but the setting is in such worn shape that once I examined it I was pretty sure the 'ick" was acting like glue and making the setting safer. :errrr:

WHY did I pass it up? I wanted a square cut. I didn't want a "round" and didn't know anything about old cuts except that her's was different in a very nice way from most rounds but it was still a round.

I love my asscher especially now that it's the reigning empress of my setting. And I am pretty sure that if I'd "settled" then I would still gripe about how I didn't get the square cut I wanted. And since my setting is the reason why I ended up on PS I'm not sure I would have even found this place.

But a couple years ago she gave it to my SIL who only sees a big center stone. She wears it to weddings and won't listen to me about getting the setting fixed. And she won't let me buy it from her. DARNIT.

So that's my "one that got away" story.

What's yours?

Wow! I don't understand that....very strange! :confused: Have you asked her why? It's not like you're asking her to give it to you outright or that you wouldn't treasure it.

As for me, the 4.50ct H VVS Tiffany Lucia that was in an action a few years ago. It's documented in PS somewhere. Still think abt it often about how stupid I was then! :nono: :sick: though I try to console myself that my BFF wouldn''t like me wearing a larger Lucida (her ering is a Lucida).

Oh and I have two more: the Lucida was / is my biggest regret; but once I saw this fancy pink - a while ago, before fancies started to gain recognition and hence were priced accordingly - it was just over 2ct and a nice purplish pink, a bit included but not too included, so was def eye-clen. The asking price was a "whopping" $20k+ and I decided I didn't want to pay that, and walked away! :o Yet one more time: I was in London abt 4-5 yrs ago and saw a 3ct OEC K colour on sale for GBP10k (abt USD20k, exchange rate was almost 2:1 then), and I decided K was too (mind-clean) yellow even though I didn't know it was a K until they told me as it faced up very very white and from the side, you could hardly see the tinge either - I'm betting now that it must have had SBF. :blackeye:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

by reading the title i thought you were talking about Ex BFs.. :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1316487664|3021127 said:
by reading the title i thought you were talking about Ex BFs.. :lol:

Actually, that was my initial thought too! :lol:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock

For the discount I got, I should have bought more when I worked at the jewelry store. Dummy, dummy. I wasted money on clothes, purses, and shoes, and never could make up my mind when it came to sparklies. There were plenty of things I loved, but I never got around to it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If it's BF's that's fine. Not limited to jewelry at all.

LGK

Ideal_Rock

The OEC I saw that started my fascination with them all- it was at my work, a *gorgeous* 1....25? ct with a beautiful, ornate platinum filigree setting. Bright white, tons of fire- I had no clue what it was at that point and why it was so fiery but boy, did I love it. It was "outrageously" priced at $4K :rolleyes:

Hmmm. The thing I really, really regret though- years ago, while still broke college students DH & I found a Rene Lalique Sirenes inkwell, with a teal wash, for $250. We couldn't believe it was really a Rene Lalique piece and not a newer one, and went home to research it, stupidly without putting it on hold or anything. It was sold the next day when we realized yes, yes it was the real deal. OMG I still kick myself over it, and this had to be over a decade ago!

The other one is a Kerr sterling Art Nouveau calling card case, which featured a woman with butterfly wings. It was on ebay. There were two pieces listed by the same seller, obviously from the same amazing collection- I won one, but didn't bid enough on the calling card case. I adore the one I got (a smoking nude blowing smoke rings, with poppies all around- probably meant to be an opium stash box) but wish I'd bit a LOT more on the case. I've never seen it's like in the decade since, it was museum worthy and easily worth every penny it sold for ($600 if I recall).

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I was hunting for my new diamond in 2009, the sky was the limit and I could have picked any shape I wanted. But I didn't know anything about cushions or old cuts, and AVCS had just come out so they weren't really on my radar. So I went with a traditional round. Now I've realized that chunky cushions and OECs are what make my heart sing. :(( I coulda had an AVC and I am bummed I didn't get one back then!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sure! My last e-ring which was a 1.5 RB, J, SI1 that I had my bro ebay for me and netted $3500 for. I HATED to see it go, I loved that solitaire (plain, tiffany style solitaire in platinum), but it had to be gone from my household. I believe my ex paid around $6k for it back in 2002. Yikes. Not very happy about letting it go so soon. And, find me another one of its kind for less than $6k retail now! Sheesh!
I traded my platinum wedding band containing 1.38 ctw princess stones to Pearlman's this past spring to also get it out of our house for some beautiful Gurhan pieces I wear every day. Fair trade to me. Metal to metal wise? Not. Stone to stone wise? Not. Peace of mind wise? Definitely.

I've held onto everything else I have jewelry-wise. Gold pieces I've had since I started working in jewelry in 1994, gold pieces I've been given since I was a kid...serious, solid stuff that wouldn't be considered pretty now (chunky solid herringbones, anyone? Ropes a la Mr. T? Nah, didn't think so...hefty nugget bracelets that weigh more than I care to think about because they were SOOOO tacky? Yup. I have those, thanks to Dad's midlife crisis.) Still hangin' on. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1316495123|3021174 said:
When I was hunting for my new diamond in 2009, the sky was the limit and I could have picked any shape I wanted. But I didn't know anything about cushions or old cuts, and AVCS had just come out so they weren't really on my radar. So I went with a traditional round. Now I've realized that chunky cushions and OECs are what make my heart sing. :(( I coulda had an AVC and I am bummed I didn't get one back then!

Sell your round and get an AVC :naughty:

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock

I have posted about this one before, but I really regret not snapping up Softlysoftly's OEC when it was listed at JbEG. I knew it was a good deal and told DH it was too, but I should have been more insistent! He would have let me have the extra $5k I needed if I really pushed. Le sigh. I'm pretty sure such a beauty is now firmly out of my price range.

Fortunately the lovely Maplefemme snapped it up so we still get to drool over it :lickout:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

My emerald halo ring. It was an ebay lucky strike, years back before I knew anything at all about jewellery. I just thought it was pretty. I could have been buying anything at all, but the seller was honest and I paid a very good price indeed for a 1.5ct eyeclean Columbian emerald cut emerald with a 1cttw halo of F VS rb diamonds, all set in platinum.

This thing was a work of art, it was stunning. Finest emerald I ever saw, a really beautiful halo. It was just too big and fine for me to wear round here - it made people point and snigger. I wasn't comfortable wearing it, never really enjoyed it, as beautiful as it was. I was in my late 20s. Have to say, I could rock it now, I wish I still had it. It wasn't a special or sentimental piece, I just saw it on ebay and liked it. It was expensive, but not outrageous.

I sold it when I was pregnant, for over twice what I paid, and it bought all our baby things, a redecoration of our nursery and a good chunk of a new car. I don't regret any of that, but oh how I wish I could still wear the emerald!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

Gosh I have several. A pair of sapphire and diamond earrings that I just loved, that were a great price, but that I just didn't purchase.

A five stone white gold tanzanite ring. I don't normally wear white gold, but again it was a great price and I could have reset them.

There's a lavender sapphire pendant in a jewelry store near by that I love, but that I still haven't asked for. I can't really justify it either.

The arabian mare that I sold. I wish I had her back. She was really a cool mare, and seeing her daughter makes me kick myself for not getting babies.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

When I was shopping for my earrings, Dover Jewelry had two pieces that made my mouth water up for auction: a 30" DBTY and a vintage crescent brooch set with old cuts, roughly 2.5 tcw if I'm remembering correctly.

I decided it was more important to me to get the best pair of earrings I could than to split my budget. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my earrings - but the DBTY went for $300, and the brooch? A cool $550.

The earrings are upgradable. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

That still isn't as bad to me as what happened last year around Halloween, though. There's a lady there who has a table of vintage clothes where just about everything is $7. I've gotten delicate beaded flapper dresses and velvet opera coats from the 50s ... for $7. Well, on that day, I left the house a little later than usual, just in time to see some horrible little man grad The Most Beautiful Jacket in the World.

Oh, it was a thing of beauty. Red and gold brocade, with crimson patent snakeskin trim, and bat-wing sleeves. He was planning to use it for a pirate costume. I? I would be loving it and squeezing it and calling it George every damn day.

Sigh. I still think wistfully about that coat, sometimes ....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nothing really got away, b/c I never had it, but I wished I had recognized my love of old cuts before I bought my first modern cushion. I could have had a smokin OEC for what we paid for that dang cushion. :blackeye:

lvcushion

Rough_Rock

I always thought I wanted a two-carat AVC so my SO and I went to look at them in person. With the price of diamonds shooting up, we had to look in a different size range. I tried on a 1.23 H SI2 and fell in love. It was the perfect size on my finger and I loved the facet pattern.

I followed it on GOG's site and just a few weeks later it was sold (http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8204/). I was hoping it would be mine, and I even watched on PS for someone to post about getting it, but it hasn't shown up anywhere. :sick:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

I still pine for this ring I fell in love with 5 years ago before I bought my diamond. I fell for it HARD and it was *perfect* for me but four things were wrong... one, it was a FC piece and I was hearing a lot of bad stuff about them... two, I posted about it and the response wasn't even lukewarm and I let that sway me... three, my husband liked it and appreciated the appropriateness of it but thought it was a whim and I wouldn't like it after a while... four it seemed really expensive and WAY over budget but in the end I spent as much on just my stone so I would have saved 5k if I got this ring.

Well, I love it even more now than I did and I kick myself for listening to anyone else. It's NOT very traditional but it IS *very* ME. I love everything about it and there is nothing I would change. Nothing.

Center stone was 2.59 FLY VS1 OEC surrounded by 10 1.32ctw OEC VS/VVS G/H stones.
17mm in finger coverage.

A Daisy :)

Makes me wanna cry ::sigh::

2.jpg

h.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

well there's the .51ct Fancy deep yellowish brown pear that was accidentally tossed in the trash

and then there's the really pretty blue green tourmaline I sold to Fortekitty. I hope she posts pictures soon, I kind of miss it :D LOL

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

davi_el_mejor|1317041346|3025757 said:
well there's the .51ct Fancy deep yellowish brown pear that was accidentally tossed in the trash

and then there's the really pretty blue green tourmaline I sold to Fortekitty. I hope she posts pictures soon, I kind of miss it :D LOL

I feel so bad for you on this one. Accidents happen, but... ;(

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

My James Meyer oec three stone ring. I sold it to fund my mahenge setting (see avatar), but I am really disappointed that I sacrificed it! ;(

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I regret trading my 1ct J ES diamond from WF towards the 1.5ct M I1 Infinity diamond. It ended up being just too included for me and the colour was too low for me also.

I hugely regret selling my WF halo for 1/7th of what I paid for it. But I am putting it down to experience and won't ever get to the place I was when I did such silly things ever again!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

you mean this one? she has it for sale!! ;)) ;))
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels-f92/blue-green-tourmaline-t166186.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels-f92/blue-green-tourmaline-t166186.html[/URL]

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Cehra, I would KILL for that yellow OEC

Swoon

:o

Aerix

Shiny_Rock

Upgradable|1317046783|3025798 said:
My James Meyer oec three stone ring. I sold it to fund my mahenge setting (see avatar), but I am really disappointed that I sacrificed it! ;(

This makes me sad, since it reminds me that I may never own a piece by James Meyer since he no longer accepts customer stones and I'd rather send in my own stone than have him source one for me, plus-I missed out when he had his big sale since I just didn't have the funds at the time. ;(

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

rainydaze|1317051077|3025844 said:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels-f92/blue-green-tourmaline-t166186.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels-f92/blue-green-tourmaline-t166186.html[/URL]

No no, not that one!! the one i got from Davi was a lot prettier... ;))

Aerix

Shiny_Rock

I had a beautiful 484 Van Craeynest scroll setting that I got for a killer deal (the seller had no idea of the brand) but I resold it because there was quite a bit of wear to the detailing, I couldn't find just the right stone I wanted to have set into it, and I decided I could use that money towards other things. I found out a month or so later, that I could've sent it back to VC and had them refinish it so it would be good as new. I think about it all the time and could kick myself for selling it at the price I did. I wish I had either kept it, or waited until someone wanted to buy it at a price I was more comfortable selling it for.

I've found that it's hard to resell ring mountings/settings, but the ironic thing is that when I'm looking for empty used settings on eBay I can never find anything nice, or even when I do, the seller wants too much for what it is.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sapphire and diamond eternity band set in 18k white gold at a fair about 2 years ago. Cost = $160ish.

Sold OECs earrings a few years ago on the bistro. Would love to have them back!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock

I often think about a vintage 22k wedding band on eBay. I did not bid because I thought the seller was asking too much over melt (this was a couple of years ago so at today's gold prices it would have been a steal). It was such a classic ring, and the maker is our last name. Why didn't I just bid on the darned thing?!? I check eBay often to see if someone has relisted it, or a similar one.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty|1317055934|3025922 said:

ah, ok! my bad! seemed like quite the coincidence.... :oops: (sorry if you saw this or my other thread for you davi, and i got your hopes up!)

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

rainydaze|1317059429|3025981 said:
ForteKitty|1317055934|3025922 said:

ah, ok! my bad! seemed like quite the coincidence.... :oops: (sorry if you saw this or my other thread for you davi, and i got your hopes up!)
:D Don't worry, I'm sure Forte is much happier with it than I would be as it wasn't what I was looking for. Don't you hate when a gorgeous stone isn't the right one for the project??? I would normally have just kept it, but something told me to list it on DB and fate so happened to align the stars for the both of us :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results