shape
carat
color
clarity

Registered mail and USPS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
good luck Freke hope they find your package.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it''s not insured. That is due to my inexperience with registered mail.

I just hope it''s not gone forever.

Haywood74

Shiny_Rock
Having briefly worked for the postal service, I can tell you that your local mail person was right, someone will loose their job over a "lost" piece of registered mail. As stated elsewhere in this thread, each time a piece of registered mail is moved, someone must sign off on it. The is typically a secured area in the mail room specifically for registered mail as well. So, in regards to registered mail, those pieces don''t get "lost." Someone, in this case it sounds like the final delivery carrier, has some serious questions to answer. By the sounds of it, having someone getting Postal Inspectors involved for you is a good sign. Those folks are none to be messed with and will be certain to get to the bottom of things for you. Hope this info helps!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Anyone else here actually try to file a claim with USPS for a lost package?

I shipped a box of my son''s stuff to him last year and insured it for $150. Apparently, if the amount is under $200, no signature is needed. USPS says they delivered the package, but my son never received it. His apartment complex has a lot of similar buildings, so we figure it was misdelivered. I filed a claim, it was rejected (because USPS records showed it as being delivered), I appealed, my son submitted an affidavit that he never got the package, I had to provide receipts for everything in the box (good luck if it wasn''t new stuff!), and finally USPS gave us a check for about half of the amount we claimed.

Next time, I''m saving my insurance money. It''s a rip-off.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used USPS Registered mail umpteen times for diamonds and gemstones. So far, only 1 package was lost and this was nearly 7 to 8 years ago. Fortunately, it was under $200 but I really would have loved to have the gem instead. I was expecting to receive a cuprian tourmaline.
15.gif
The vendor claimed the money back from USPS and it was fairly easy although it took a few weeks and had to show a lot of paperwork.

Freke,
I hope it'll show up soon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think registered mail is just very slow due to the whole security process. However, I always insure everything for full value. That way, I know that no matter what, I can get my $$$ back.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 11:14:03 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Anyone else here actually try to file a claim with USPS for a lost package?

I shipped a box of my son's stuff to him last year and insured it for $150. Apparently, if the amount is under $200, no signature is needed. USPS says they delivered the package, but my son never received it. His apartment complex has a lot of similar buildings, so we figure it was misdelivered. I filed a claim, it was rejected (because USPS records showed it as being delivered), I appealed, my son submitted an affidavit that he never got the package, I had to provide receipts for everything in the box (good luck if it wasn't new stuff!), and finally USPS gave us a check for about half of the amount we claimed.

Next time, I'm saving my insurance money. It's a rip-off.
exactly !!! that's what i been trying to tell you guys...

my friends that works for the USPS for many many yrs.

they say...all registered mails are handle the same way no matter if they're insured or not.
they say...just use registered mail and save the insurance money,cuz you AIN"T gonna get paid if you ever submitted a large claim.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 6:58:10 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Thanks for all of the support guys.

I emailed USPS about it, and got a ''Ok, that sucks but there is nothing we can do.'' response--which is FINE, and what I figured.

BUT I also got a call from my Post office station manager who got cried to yesterday, and he said that it was delivered by the mail carrier in a large bunch of mail (according to the carrier), BUT that there is no documentation of this. Apparently said mail carrier only delivers to businesses in this area, so they are off today because the businesses are closed, so the station manager in Chicago is supposed to talk to the mail carrier again on Monday, and call my dude back. He then said that if they don''t find anything, he''s going to call the Postal Inspector because he''s POed for me, and because he thinks it''s BS that they could lose a registered package. I think that he''s taken this on as his own personal mission to get this package back in my or the recipient''s hands.

So, at least I FINALLY have someone on my side and working for me, instead of hanging up on me.

I could really use some PS dust guys. My PS Gift and Big Blue hang in the balance.
Hi Liz!

Thank goodness things are happening now! The postal carrier who "delivered" the package should lose his job if he didn''t receive a signature upon delivery! THAT IS THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF REGISTERED MAIL! I''m really PO''d about this and am sorry you''re having to deal with this at all.

That package had better turn up or else....
38.gif

Lori

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 6:58:10 PM
Thanks for all of the support guys.

I emailed USPS about it, and got a ''Ok, that sucks but there is nothing we can do.'' response--which is FINE, and what I figured.

BUT I also got a call from my Post office station manager who got cried to yesterday, and he said that it was delivered by the mail carrier in a large bunch of mail (according to the carrier), BUT that there is no documentation of this. Apparently said mail carrier only delivers to businesses in this area, so they are off today because the businesses are closed, so the station manager in Chicago is supposed to talk to the mail carrier again on Monday, and call my dude back. He then said that if they don''t find anything, he''s going to call the Postal Inspector because he''s POed for me, and because he thinks it''s BS that they could lose a registered package. I think that he''s taken this on as his own personal mission to get this package back in my or the recipient''s hands.

So, at least I FINALLY have someone on my side and working for me, instead of hanging up on me.

I could really use some PS dust guys. My PS Gift and Big Blue hang in the balance.
GOOD! Glad you have an ally. Sending mountains of dust your way, hon! ****DUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUSTDUST****

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2009 10:34:17 PM
No it's not insured. That is due to my inexperience with registered mail.

I just hope it's not gone forever.
Isn't it automatically insured if it was sent USPS Registered?
34.gif

Hang in there Freke, it could still show up!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 5:04:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

34.gif

Yes it is automatically insured! But only for a certain amount of $$, can't recall how much.

I'm so sorry Freke!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that there is a USPS manager looking into this for you. I really hope that they can locate your package...fingers crossed!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
FREKE! Sending tons of dust out to big blue!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could use some serious dust today guys. I''m hoping that I''ll find out one way or another today or tomorrow.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock

~*DUST*~

I was hoping it will have been resolved by now
40.gif
Any news?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
eeek... DUST DUST DUST Freke! I hope it turns up!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No news yet...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez Liz, it has to turn up somewhere. I hope they find it soon.
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uggh, I feel for you Liz, I really do. I pray this stone turns up. I am really floored by this story...
15.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
My heart is with you Liz....I''m really upset, too!

Lori

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif

This is just so difficult to ''watch,'' I can''t imagine how you''re feeling when you''re the one in it. I also can''t believe it''s been dragged out this long. They''re really putting you through the ringer.

I''m so sorry, Frekester. I really hope you''ll get news ASAP.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 8:27:19 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 5/31/2009 5:04:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

34.gif

Yes it is automatically insured! But only for a certain amount of $$, can't recall how much.

I'm so sorry Freke!!
http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/extraservices/registeredmailservice.htm

Looks like you can insure up to 25k

Dusting you Freke!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 8:08:44 PM
Author: choro72

~*DUST*~

I was hoping it will have been resolved by now
40.gif
Any news?
Ditto that! Oh Freke I''m so sorry! Kick someone''s heiney until they find it - the WHOLE POINT of registered mail is that they HAVE to sign off on it! Argh!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
They think it was delivered it to the wrong suite, and they are looking into it tomorrow, first thing.

...sigh...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/2/2009 1:32:33 PM
They think it was delivered it to the wrong suite, and they are looking into it tomorrow, first thing.

...sigh...
good luck Freke...hope they find it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DF. Me too.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
This gives me a knot in my tummy for you, Liz. Major dust going your way!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 1:32:33 PM

...sigh...
This makes me feel like a big ball of WTH.

I truly think they should be 'looking into it' NOW. Like, RIGHT NOW. It's not the end of the business day in IL (only 2:53pm there), and something like this should take number 1 priority. If they did deliver it to the wrong suite, and it can't be recovered, then they are in TROU-BLE, yeah?

Not that my feeling that way is a productive thing, this just really irks me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah if it''s gone, then the carrier is probably out of a job, so I''m guessing that they are going to bust their butts to do something about it.

I am with you though. Totally and completely. I''m so glad I followed my instincts though and started pursuing this though. At least there is a chance of recovery. If I had had to wait longer...

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I may be wrong, but I think when an item is sent registered, it is automatically insured. Anyhow, I hope you hear of some good news SOON! The more time goes by, the less chance you may have of them finding it. I don't mean to scare you, but I have had a HORRIBLE Year with USPS!! I won't go into my over 6 month long tale....as I am still going through it. In a nutshell, I sent a jewelry item to a buyer in Canada insured. She picked it up at customs, paid for custom fees, took it home, opened it.....and the earrings were missing from the velvet box they were in. Prior to sending these earrings... (they were gorgeous!) I went to my local Post office and asked if I could insure them to another country. They told me I could, however, they left out the fact that they had to be registered because they were considered a prohibited item!! What? So I had been back and forth with the recipient in emails. She had file a police report right away, and as she contacted the Canadian Post, they were on strike making this whole nightmare drawn out for longer. I had been on the phone with USPS international agents 20 umpteen times and it seems like one hand does not know what the other hand is doing!!! Again, no one mentioned anything about sending the earrings registered mail! After I finally received claim papers to fill out from USPS after they conducted there investigation and compared paperwork with the recipient, I still have no answer as to what they found out. About 2 months after I sent the claim forms in, I got a claim denial letter! The tears, anger and frustration started all over again!! Naturally I called USPS and told them I felt "RAPEd"!! They said I could send in an appeal of which I did so. My appeal letter was over 2 pages long pleading my case and how did they expect me...the consumer who had paid for insurance to know the policy...........if there agents (whom I had asked prior to sending the package) does not know it!! This agent has worked at my local post office for years. So a few days ago, I get another letter denying my claim !!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
I am now in the process of sending in another appeal letter to another department!!! I don't feel that I have done anything wrong except by using the USPS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally trust that the recipient did not steal the earrings. I refunded her $ as soon as the investigation was complete. Here I am left with no earrings and no money and the thief has gotten away with it. It just goes to show that if you pay for insurance, it may not matter..........the USPS if full of theives anymore!!! After reading your situation Freke, I am totally inflamed for you hon!!!!!!!!!!! I do hope that you hear some good news and that no one ever has to go through this nightmare as I am still going through!!! Sorry for the long rant! I just had to get this off my chest! Thanks for listening to me everyone! Sending you some PS Dust Freke!!!!

ETA: sorry for the typos.... but this is one of 2 situations involving theft with the USPS system in the last year!!! I did get my claim the first time it happened and the item was insured, but not registered??? From now on, I will never trust USPS with any item of value!.... oh, they also broke a gift that I sent to my mom! Same agent helped me wrap it.............she is just WORTHLESS! Doesn't even matter when the words FRAGILE are stamped all over the box!! o.k... I am done ranting........I think!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results