shape
carat
color
clarity

Registered mail and USPS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has it worked for you? Have you had bad experiences? Would you do it again?

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i like it, i''ve used it for a couple packages.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve done it twice... over $500 but if under $500, i just used the priority insured, and was fine, but only in the states. is this international or in the states you are going to send things? I can''t comment on international as I am yet to do one (soon-with Sally/Etsy)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this the lock and key method? I think it was registered/certified and it cost $15 dollars but if I just sent it insured it was $45 (so I did the first). I mailed my brooch to Denverappraiser in Denver and it took 8 days to get to him from where we live FC; he fedexed it back overnight which was nice. It all depends though because I sent my ering to Solomon Brothers to be set and it took only 5 days for them to receive in Atlanta.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve done it several times. Once from TN to FL where it took 10 days. Once from TN to VA which only took 2. I''d do it again if I had to but the wait is just nerve wracking so I''d rather pay the extra and use an overnight or 2 day method that at least has tracking.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh, the first time, I did it, I chose priority registered, and it took 5 days to get to TX and the second time, it took only 3 days to TX but regular First Class Registered
33.gif
so don't pay extra for the priority registered, becuase apparently from my two experience regardless first class or priority registered, it gets there when it gets there, it slows down quite a bit due to having to account for everyone who touches the package.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I mailed something to Chicago on May 13th. It arrived at the 60604 post office on the 18th. According to the lady on the phone, the mail carrier delivered it with other mail, but did not scan it, and that''s why it''s not showing up as delivered on track and confirm. However, the recipient has not received it, and they have been harassing the same post office just as much as I have been. Last time I called (only twice mind you), the lady put me on hold for about a minute when I asked for a supervisor, and then came back, told me they weren''t in, call back later and hung up on me.

I''m not sure what to do next.

BTW this is jewelry related.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 3:16:13 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I mailed something to Chicago on May 13th. It arrived at the 60604 post office on the 18th. According to the lady on the phone, the mail carrier delivered it with other mail, but did not scan it, and that's why it's not showing up as delivered on track and confirm. However, the recipient has not received it, and they have been harassing the same post office just as much as I have been. Last time I called (only twice mind you), the lady put me on hold for about a minute when I asked for a supervisor, and then came back, told me they weren't in, call back later and hung up on me.

I'm not sure what to do next.

BTW this is jewelry related.
it's not there today either? hmmm..12 business day today?. I'd try to call the usps customer service again. only select the lost package option, can't remember the time frame you have to wait to claim insurance on it.

ETA: btw I ship lots of usps stuff (in state), but have an account with their click and ship, and absolutely love it so I 99% of the time avoid the post office only the 1% time I have to go in for registered items.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've done registered mail once with no problems. The problem (well, one of the problems) is that it requires a responsive/responsible recipient.
11.gif
3.gif

I'm growing to hate the USPS more by the minute. I plain to ignore them for all packages in the future
20.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The recipient is no longer the problem. They have called and complained as much as I have. What a long $#!++y story this is turning into.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, I am so so sorry about this
7.gif
they're really ripping all the fun out of what should otherwise have been a very happy process. Yuck.

I really hope it gets resolved in the next couple of business days at least... one way or another. I just don't understand this at all.

ETA: Do you want to post the other thing? Would that lift your spirits? Or do you want to wait until this is a little more calmed down?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll post it eventually. Probably not for a few days though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is rare for registered mail to be lost. But that is what the insurance is for. You may have to make a claim. Not sure how long you have to wait to make it, though.

(Oh, and yes, I've done it with diamonds several times with no problems at all.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding some of the other posts, I think you can insure priority mail up to $5000. So if the item is over $5000, you need to use registered.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 2:57:55 PM
Author:FrekeChild
Has it worked for you? Have you had bad experiences? Would you do it again?
yes,they''re the safest way to ship expensive items. they are slow but it''ll get there.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 7:04:15 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
It is rare for registered mail to be lost. But that is what the insurance is for. You may have to make a claim. Not sure how long you have to wait to make it, though.

(Oh, and yes, I''ve done it with diamonds several times with no problems at all.)
small dollar claims,no problem. if they lost a $15k package your chances would be slim and none.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s not true, DF. That''s what the insurance is for! I just think you have to wait a certain amount of time before making the claim if an item is lost. If she has the paperwork saying she sent it (and the documentaion of value), and the recipient didn''t sign for it, then it should be able to submitted for a claim.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Liz,

It is my understanding that USPS Registered mail is tracked every place it goes and has to be signed for each step of the way. If the package is lost, then heads will fly and someone will lose their job.....this is according to my friendly postal clerk at my neighborhood post office.

As long as you have your receipt, then they should be able to track the package. The last USPS employee to sign for the package has some explaining to do!

File a complaint with your local post office and let them have it....you shouldn''t have to be doing all of the investigative work since they are responsible for your package!

My Dad is a retired 30 year US postal service employee, from back in the day when they had a good reputation, and I''ll ask him what to do.

Lori

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 7:58:04 PM
That''s not true, DF. That''s what the insurance is for! I just think you have to wait a certain amount of time before making the claim if an item is lost. If she has the paperwork saying she sent it (and the documentaion of value), and the recipient didn''t sign for it, then it should be able to submitted for a claim.
DS...it ain''t as easy as you think.
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-the-insurance-limit-on-priority-mail.105199/

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Liz,

Another suggestion is to go to USPS.com and go to the Customer Service area. Go to the Email Us section and fill out the online form. This way, you''ve got another way to get them looking into this for you.

Lori

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going to do that right now Lori. Thanks.

I talked to my friend the mail carrier today and he said that if a registered package goes missing, they get fired, so I''m hoping it''s still around somewhere. I can''t imagine someone would risk getting fired over stealing a package. Especially because what is in it isn''t very expensive, as far as jewels go anyway.

I''m just beside myself.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Liz,

I''ve found that sending Registered mail is the safest way to go with expensive items, but it does take longer for the package to arrive at its destination. You can''t track it the normal way and only the Post Office staff can track it for you. That''s what I was told. I had to wait, with baited breath, until the receiver told me they had it.

When I order things from Dover, they always send it via UPS Second Day Air with my signature required. It costs $15.00, but we''ve never had a problem.

Lori

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 7:58:04 PM
I just sent two items registered mail and it seemed like they were taking forever. I called the post office and the postal employee told me you have to wait 30 days before filing a claim. I hope they find your package!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 12:49:07 AM
I''m going to do that right now Lori. Thanks.

I talked to my friend the mail carrier today and he said that if a registered package goes missing, they get fired, so I''m hoping it''s still around somewhere. I can''t imagine someone would risk getting fired over stealing a package. Especially because what is in it isn''t very expensive, as far as jewels go anyway.

I''m just beside myself.
Oh my gosh, I would be too! But hang in there--I''ve had stuff go missing where no tracking number could find it and then, weeks and weeks past when it should''ve arrived, it came through and everyone at the post office talked to me like I was an idiot to have ever doubted them. Try not to lose hope, honey!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/29/2009 7:04:15 PM

(Oh, and yes, I''ve done it with diamonds several times with no problems at all.)

I agree, DS! We''ve sent my rings registered mail multiple times without problems.

I''m so sorry this is happening, Freke. USPS is the worst
29.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2009 7:06:34 PM
Regarding some of the other posts, I think you can insure priority mail up to $5000. So if the item is over $5000, you need to use registered.
i do my majority online so only available up to $500 for APC, but you are correct and must be done in person.

Cady

Rough_Rock

Hi FrekeChild!

I''m really sorry you are going through this! I just used registered mail for the first time and had a similar experience (with a happy ending, so there is hope!). I mailed a package to Ari at SingleStone on April 4th and waited and waited and waited, tracking obsessively all the while. It finally showed up as having arrived at the LA post office on April 13th, but since I hadn''t received delivery confirmation, I called Ari, who told me it hadn''t yet arrived and that it''s not unusual for a package to sit at the post office for a few days awaiting delivery. He said that he''s had registered mail take 3 days or 30, but it always makes it and not to worry. He finally received it on April 21st. I have no idea why it sat around in LA awaiting delivery for a full week, but it did make it there, and after extensive restoration, I will have my great-grandmother''s wedding band back by June 10th!

I hope your package makes it to its destination safe and sound. You have my sympathy - the waiting around for delivery confirmation is the USPS''s own personal brand of psychological torture!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of the support guys.

I emailed USPS about it, and got a "Ok, that sucks but there is nothing we can do." response--which is FINE, and what I figured.

BUT I also got a call from my Post office station manager who got cried to yesterday, and he said that it was delivered by the mail carrier in a large bunch of mail (according to the carrier), BUT that there is no documentation of this. Apparently said mail carrier only delivers to businesses in this area, so they are off today because the businesses are closed, so the station manager in Chicago is supposed to talk to the mail carrier again on Monday, and call my dude back. He then said that if they don''t find anything, he''s going to call the Postal Inspector because he''s POed for me, and because he thinks it''s BS that they could lose a registered package. I think that he''s taken this on as his own personal mission to get this package back in my or the recipient''s hands.

So, at least I FINALLY have someone on my side and working for me, instead of hanging up on me.

I could really use some PS dust guys. My PS Gift and Big Blue hang in the balance.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/30/2009 6:58:10 PM
Thanks for all of the support guys.

I emailed USPS about it, and got a ''Ok, that sucks but there is nothing we can do.'' response--which is FINE, and what I figured.

BUT I also got a call from my Post office station manager who got cried to yesterday, and he said that it was delivered by the mail carrier in a large bunch of mail (according to the carrier), BUT that there is no documentation of this. Apparently said mail carrier only delivers to businesses in this area, so they are off today because the businesses are closed, so the station manager in Chicago is supposed to talk to the mail carrier again on Monday, and call my dude back. He then said that if they don''t find anything, he''s going to call the Postal Inspector because he''s POed for me, and because he thinks it''s BS that they could lose a registered package. I think that he''s taken this on as his own personal mission to get this package back in my or the recipient''s hands.

So, at least I FINALLY have someone on my side and working for me, instead of hanging up on me.

I could really use some PS dust guys. My PS Gift and Big Blue hang in the balance.

Oh gosh, I hope this is the turning point Freke! It sounds like the one break you''ve had so far in this mess - I hope it works. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Registered has to be signed for. So if he just left it with other mail and did not get a signature, then I think he may be out of a job. You insured your package, right?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results