shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the insurance limit on priority mail?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to ship a piece of jewelry that is only worth about $1700. Do I need to go with registered/insured or can I get enough insurance with priority mail? I know I can look it up...but anyone know offhand?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
" Purchase Insurance at any Post Office
• Provides up to $5,000 indemnity coverage for a lost or damaged item.
• For items of greater value requiring additional insurance, try Registered Mail™, which covers up to $25,000. Registered Mail can be used with First-Class Mail® and Priority Mail®. "

http://www.usps.com/insurance/welcome.htm

:D Hope this helps.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 8:41:16 PM
Author:kcoursolle
I want to ship a piece of jewelry that is only worth about $1700. Do I need to go with registered/insured or can I get enough insurance with priority mail? I know I can look it up...but anyone know offhand?

I remember once sending off a ring to be repaired and I was able to insure it for $3000. I used Express Mail though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i know many friends that works for the USPS

they say...all registered mails are handle the same way no matter if they''re insured or not.
they say...just use registered mail and save the insurance money.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 9:09:31 PM
Author: Resonance.Of.Life
'' Purchase Insurance at any Post Office
• Provides up to $5,000 indemnity coverage for a lost or damaged item.
• For items of greater value requiring additional insurance, try Registered Mail™, which covers up to $25,000. Registered Mail can be used with First-Class Mail® and Priority Mail®. ''

http://www.usps.com/insurance/welcome.htm

:D Hope this helps.
This is helpful, thanks a bunch! It looks like priority mail should work!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 9:40:20 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

they say...all registered mails are handle the same way no matter if they''re insured or not.
this is a great point, but I wanted to send priority instead just so I could get it there faster. Last time I did registered it took a very long time, but it did get there safely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 10:11:41 PM
Author: kcoursolle

this is a great point, but I wanted to send priority instead just so I could get it there faster. Last time I did registered it took a very long time, but it did get there safely.
That''s not correct anyway, DF. You pay for the amount of insurance you have on the registered mail as well. I''d use the Priority for anything that can be easily replaced. For heirloom pieces, then I think registered is safer because they keep the packages under lock and key.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 9:44:59 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

That''s not correct anyway, DF. You pay for the amount of insurance you have on the registered mail as well. I''d use the Priority for anything that can be easily replaced. For heirloom pieces, then I think registered is safer because they keep the packages under lock and key.
my friend say just do registered mail w/o insurance.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 10:24:22 AM

Well, if your friend wants to take the very, very low risk of losing thousands of dollars, then more power to him! But if I was sending something worth thousands, it is worth the 10-20 extra bucks to me to get the insurance!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 1:28:58 PM

Date: 1/20/2009 10:24:22 AM

Well, if your friend wants to take the very, very low risk of losing thousands of dollars, then more power to him! But if I was sending something worth thousands, it is worth the 10-20 extra bucks to me to get the insurance!
ha,ha. i was wating for you say that...

when i was shipping rare coins across the country i was using registered mail with insurance. it cost me like $25-$30 to ship a $25K package with insurance. if i only use registered mail, the same package would cost less than $10.

I ask my friend why not purchase the insurance ?

he said...b/c there''s no way you can prove what was inside the package if the package had gotten lost or stolen,therefor you''ll have a very little chance of getting a $25K claim from the USPS.

i said...so basicly the USPS just ripping me off on the insurance ?
he said...yes.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You certainly have to have proof (such as an appraisal) for the lost item. But it is probably extremely rare for them to lose any registered mail. I have received a broken insured item, and they paid, but I had to furnish a receipt for the item. So I don''t see any way a claim would nto be paid as long as you can furnish the receipt or appraisal for the insured item. After all, this is no different than any other kind of insurance for valuables.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 7:13:08 PM
You certainly have to have proof (such as an appraisal) for the lost item. But it is probably extremely rare for them to lose any registered mail. I have received a broken insured item, and they paid, but I had to furnish a receipt for the item. So I don''t see any way a claim would nto be paid as long as you can furnish the receipt or appraisal for the insured item. After all, this is no different than any other kind of insurance for valuables.
i would have no problem with furnishing a receipt for that item(s),but his point was there''s no way i can prove that this particular item(s) was in the lost package,therefor my chance of claiming the $25k insured package from the USPS would be slim and none.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2009 7:57:00 PM

i would have no problem with furnishing a receipt for that item(s),but his point was there''s no way i can prove that this particular item(s) was in the lost package,therefor my chance of claiming the $25k insured package from the USPS would be slim and none.

No offense, but I think your friend is a bit dumb...it seems stupid to me to ship without insurance. If they really wouldn''t ever reimburse someone then I am sure there would be news stories about the insurance scam.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, that is just nonsense. How could I make a claim to Chubb if I lose my diamond ring??? You just do it. You make the claim and they pay it unless there is some kind of fraud that can be proven. That is how insurance works!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that they would have to repay you for the amount you insured if they lost the package, that''s what insurance is for!

The items I am shipping can easily be replaced, so I think it should be fine to just add on the $1700 of insurance to the priority mail. I do think DS you are right though that registered is a bit safer since they keep it under lock and key.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 10:03:28 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 1/20/2009 7:57:00 PM

No offense, but I think your friend is a bit dumb...it seems stupid to me to ship without insurance. If they really wouldn''t ever reimburse someone then I am sure there would be news stories about the insurance scam.
this information came from a friend of mine whom has been working behind the USPS counter for 30 yrs. he said...small amount shouldn''t be a problem,but if it was $25k worth of coins,he said...good luck !!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 10:18:46 PM
DF, that is just nonsense. How could I make a claim to Chubb if I lose my diamond ring??? You just do it. You make the claim and they pay it unless there is some kind of fraud that can be proven. That is how insurance works!
we''re talking about the USPS not Chubb
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2009 10:50:08 PM
I agree that they would have to repay you for the amount you insured if they lost the package, that''s what insurance is for!

The items I am shipping can easily be replaced, so I think it should be fine to just add on the $1700 of insurance to the priority mail. I do think DS you are right though that registered is a bit safer since they keep it under lock and key.

this was UPS not USPS...

i wanted to send this package over-night insured for $12K.the guy working behind the counter went and told his supervisor that a customer wanted to insure a package for $12k. his supervisor came up to the counter and ask me...what''s inside the package?

i said...a watch, he said...if you wanted to insure it for $12K he would need to cut open the box and see what''s inside.

i said...go ahead,he then cut open the box and saw a watch inside.he then signed the repceipt and said...O.K. no problem.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 2:43:48 AM

I agree that they would have to repay you for the amount you insured if they lost the package, that's what insurance is for!

this was UPS not USPS...

i wanted to send this package over-night insured for $12K.the guy working behind the counter went and told his supervisor that a customer wanted to insure a package for $12k. his supervisor came up to the counter and ask me...what's inside the package?

i said...a watch, he said...if you wanted to insure it for $12K he would need to cut open the box and see what's inside.

i said...go ahead,he then cut open the box and saw a watch inside.he then signed the repceipt and said...O.K. no problem.

And what's the point there? They saw it was a watch and insured it. I don't see the problem...they would have paid the claim if it was lost...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 4:28:07 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 1/21/2009 2:43:48 AM

this was UPS not USPS...

i wanted to send this package over-night insured for $12K.the guy working behind the counter went and told his supervisor that a customer wanted to insure a package for $12k. his supervisor came up to the counter and ask me...what''s inside the package?

i said...a watch, he said...if you wanted to insure it for $12K he would need to cut open the box and see what''s inside.

And what''s the point there? They saw it was a watch and insured it. I don''t see the problem...they would have paid the claim if it was lost...
Neat
of course they had to paid,b/c i had a witness (his supervisor) that there was an expensive item inside,but if i had mail this package through USPS and if this package had gotten lost then i would of had problem making a $12K claim,b/c they (the USPS) never check inside the package.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results