shape
carat
color
clarity

Refurb gone really wrong - what to do?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Circe, when I saw this thread had been updated again I was hoping for more pics of the pretty only to find the worst! I am so sorry this happened! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately, this is the song that never ends, only not in a charming children's song sort of a way.

I e-mailed the owner of the company, and got a note back from the original rep saying that they were still committed to doing whatever it took to make me happy, that they understood that I wouldn't want to work with them again, and that I should have my jeweler contact them directly to discuss the nature of repairs, which they would handle directly. A few days later, I got a call from the owner reiterating that: I put my insurance claim on hold, and am trying to work this out with them. I do appreciate this.

Unfortunately.

(Because there is always an unfortunately in this saga, isn't there.)

Jon didn't think the setting could be properly salvaged - old metal that's already been worked on over and over and over, it's getting fragile. I'm getting a second opinion from my custom guy this week. If he thinks it's easy, I'll have him do it: if he thinks it's doable but finicky-pain-in-the-neck work, I'll send it to SingleStone; and if he thinks it's a lost cause, too, I won't be bothering with a third opinion, I guess I'll have to start thinking about a reset.

It makes me a little nervous that the original jeweler kept saying that he wants to be kept in the loop about repairs - like, what, I'll refurbish it too much? how? - and it honestly feels like I always have to be calling, fussing, doing something. Need to call my custom guy to set up the exact time, then report back to the original jeweler, and then, I suppose, either way, negotiate exactly what the hell will be covered.

If I tally up the sheer hours this has cost - going out to LI, four trips (and counting) to 47th, phone calls with insurance, with jewelers - I wish I could go back in time, slap myself briskly across the face, and say "LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE."

allowingtoo

Shiny_Rock
Did the owner/rep ever say what they did with your original side stone and why they had replaced it? Or did they just brush that off too - as something they had not done?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well they don't get to call the shots, Circe ;)) You can call and tell them you are not willing to do the extra work needed to keep them in the loop, and frankly you want them out of your loop forever. Tell them what you want (figure that out) and then demand it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
allowingtoo|1364911858|3418524 said:
Did the owner/rep ever say what they did with your original side stone and why they had replaced it? Or did they just brush that off too - as something they had not done?

They have proclaimed themselves baffled - say they asked both benches who worked on it, and that both denied it. But, as a character in my favorite movie once said - it ain't elves.

Dreamer_D said:
Well they don't get to call the shots, Circe ;)) You can call and tell them you are not willing to do the extra work needed to keep them in the loop, and frankly you want them out of your loop forever. Tell them what you want (figure that out) and then demand it.

Good advice as always. The setting was insured for two thousand three hundred (bless Dave Wolf for including that in the formal appraisal), which is in line with what I've seen them asking for comparable vintage settings. So, we'll see the - appointment with my custom guy is set for Friday.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you consult with your insurer to see if there is a time limit in which you must make a claim?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, I still think the jeweler has some responsibility rather than your insurance company.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
D, as I understood it from talking to my appraiser, I'm okay if I want to reopen it, because I filed the claim ... it's just suspended while the jeweler and I try to hash things out.

DS, they and I both agree. So we'll see how that goes ... seriously, I know it's the default for people to wish it were Friday (isn't there a song about that?) but right now, SO WISH IT WAS FRIDAY, I JUST WANT TO MOVE ON ALREADY, ARGH.

Ahem. Sorry. Now back to Circe's indoor voice.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What did Jon say about the value of the stone if you don't mind sharing?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1364953982|3419009 said:
D, as I understood it from talking to my appraiser, I'm okay if I want to reopen it, because I filed the claim ... it's just suspended while the jeweler and I try to hash things out.

DS, they and I both agree. So we'll see how that goes ... seriously, I know it's the default for people to wish it were Friday (isn't there a song about that?) but right now, SO WISH IT WAS FRIDAY, I JUST WANT TO MOVE ON ALREADY, ARGH.

Ahem. Sorry. Now back to Circe's indoor voice.

Okay, well that is good, considering. But I just hope for your sake they will resolve this more quickly than the "repair" process took. I would want to move on, too!

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
I have been following this and I'm still shocked and dumbfounded. I'm sick for you and frustrated for you and you certainly don’t deserve this entire headache. Hang in there and stick to your guns. I agree that YOU need to tell them in no uncertain terms how YOU are going to handle this from here on out and that YOU expect them to do the right thing from this time forward.

Last time I had a car mechanic situation I talked and talked multiple times until I was blue in the face and couldn't get anywhere with the mechanic who completely mutilated my vehicle. I finally sent him a certified letter saying that I expected him to make it right, I listed exactly what he mutilated and exactly how much money I expected for him to reimburse me … or I was going to take it to a higher level (and I would have out of principal). All of a sudden I received a check in the mail for the FULL amount.
Good Luck and Bless You! I will continue to follow and remember we are on your side!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I also cannot believe that you are still going through all of this. Have you disclosed the name of the original jeweler who botched your setting? I hope that this issue is resolved soon and that you can once again enjoy your beautiful ring.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Circe, I really feel for you. I have been following since the beginning. You are living the ultimate jeweler nightmare. It was perfect that you have photos of your ring before & during the bad event! It may take more time, but this WILL work out in your favor. If nothing else, I think all that read your thread are learning proper steps to take before leaving a piece in the hands of someone else. I will keep reading to see how this gets resolved. You are a very clever gal, and I for one, have a good feeling that NO ONE gets one over on you! Keep up the fight Girlie!!!! You make us on PS proud!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Aww Circe, I feel so bad it was resolved, then not, etc., etc. I'm sorry I jumped the gun congratulating you on the fix then it all went terribly wrong :nono: Lots and lots and lots of PS dust to you. Keep us posted. We all still have nothing but sympathy and hope for a great outcome. Lots of love and stay strong sister! ;))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I haven't been on PS much lately - just saw these kind messages. Thanks, guys, all of you.

Trasid|1365037243|3419790 said:
I have been following this and I'm still shocked and dumbfounded. I'm sick for you and frustrated for you and you certainly don’t deserve this entire headache. Hang in there and stick to your guns. I agree that YOU need to tell them in no uncertain terms how YOU are going to handle this from here on out and that YOU expect them to do the right thing from this time forward.

Last time I had a car mechanic situation I talked and talked multiple times until I was blue in the face and couldn't get anywhere with the mechanic who completely mutilated my vehicle. I finally sent him a certified letter saying that I expected him to make it right, I listed exactly what he mutilated and exactly how much money I expected for him to reimburse me … or I was going to take it to a higher level (and I would have out of principal). All of a sudden I received a check in the mail for the FULL amount.
Good Luck and Bless You! I will continue to follow and remember we are on your side!

Trasid, that is GOOD advice. It's basically what I've done: I'm in the process of having my ring repaired by another jeweler, and the original ones that messed up my setting will either be footing the bill, or I'll be taking him to court, because I've lost all patience with the process.

babs23r said:
I also cannot believe that you are still going through all of this. Have you disclosed the name of the original jeweler who botched your setting? I hope that this issue is resolved soon and that you can once again enjoy your beautiful ring.

Hi, Babs - no, no yet. Initially, I wanted everything to be resolved so I could write an objective review ... and then it just stretched on and on and on. Ai-ai-ai. We are now at the two-and-a-half-month mark.

hearts-arrows_girl said:
Circe, I really feel for you. I have been following since the beginning. You are living the ultimate jeweler nightmare. It was perfect that you have photos of your ring before & during the bad event! It may take more time, but this WILL work out in your favor. If nothing else, I think all that read your thread are learning proper steps to take before leaving a piece in the hands of someone else. I will keep reading to see how this gets resolved. You are a very clever gal, and I for one, have a good feeling that NO ONE gets one over on you! Keep up the fight Girlie!!!! You make us on PS proud!

Thanks, hon! I am even more delighted now that I documented everything: when I took it to my custom guy to show him the before and after, he immediately spotted a thousand little differences between the original head and the refurbished one. Documentation for the win.

backwardsandinheels said:
Aww Circe, I feel so bad it was resolved, then not, etc., etc. I'm sorry I jumped the gun congratulating you on the fix then it all went terribly wrong :nono: Lots and lots and lots of PS dust to you. Keep us posted. We all still have nothing but sympathy and hope for a great outcome. Lots of love and stay strong sister! ;))

Oh, sweetie, that is so nice of you. Thank you - here's hoping I REALLY have something to celebrate by the end of the month!

I took the ring to my custom guy on Friday: he thinks he can find another marquise to match the original and bring the original setting back up to snuff with a new head. He's a master, does a lot of work for the big houses, and it was actually kind of hilarious to watch him examine the refurbished one, clucking in dismay and finding yet more things wrong that I hadn't noticed in all the weeks of despairing over it - "Look at this! The shoulders hit the head at two completely different points!" - and when I showed him the original photos, he spotted all the ways in which the old and new differed ... a smaller base on the original head, less metal over the join between the head and shank, etc., etc., etc.

I decided to leave it with him for repair instead of sending it to Singlestone or getting a new setting: honestly, even though I spent a few weeks trying to think of another setting design I'd like as much, I just couldn't. And while I know Singlestone is the ne plus ultra when it comes to refurbishing ... I just couldn't stand the idea of the mailing-back-and-forth and the not seeing work in progress because of the distance.

When I told him that the original jeweler wanted to be "kept in the loop," he looked at me like I was crazy and said "... or I'll just bill him." Which, I can't really argue with: what, he needs the headache of dealing with this nonsense? *I* don't even want the headache of dealing with this nonsense! And if when he receives the bill, the original jeweler wants to claim I've repaired my ring excessively ... I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime, I am just putting it out of my head. I have worried about this MORE than enough, I think. :rolleyes:

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
great attitude, girl! I am glad that your custom guy sounds so competent and capable. Hope this experience will soon be just a fading memory :))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update, I think everything you are doing is spot on! I look forward to the finished piece!

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Circe you were sooooo smart in having such good pictures to begin with. A++ for you!!! This really has me thinking that I need to take very good pictures of my diamond before I go and have it set. I have taken the time to master good picture taking of diamonds yet but you've proven that it's time I learn.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I know it has been heartbreaking for you but I have learned 1) take good picks 2) know your diamond an setting inside and out and 3) have good insurance. Keep us posted and when you are ready please share the vendor name. I want to be certain I stay far, far away and if the guy you are using now fixes this for you, please share his name too.

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Just checking on you Circe. Did you get your ring back? Did things turn out okay?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for checking in, sweetie - nothing yet. He's still searching for a decent marquis to match. I asked him if he thought he'd be able to get it back to me by the 29th (it's my 5 1/2 year anniversary, and given that I celebrated the 5 year with a hurricane ... I would like to hit the halfway mark in style!), and he said he'd try. So in the meantime, I cultivate patience.

I hate patience. Did I mention that? Alas. So instead, I displace onto searching for other people - just posted a french cut band in the "Somebody's Gotta Buy This Eternity Band!" thread. At least it's productive, right?

Trasid

Shiny_Rock
Awwww.

I still wonder ... what in the world did they do with the original marquis??? Did it just fall out and they failed to reset it? It's so weird!!! What a bunch of ding-dongs!!!

Well here's wishing you the best and I will stay posted. I'm sending good thoughts your way in hopes that you get your ring back soon.

susanrachel28

Rough_Rock
Now that I made a profile, I thought I'd leave a comment. :) I am hoping for a great repair. I can't wait to see pics of the final ring! You're in NY right? Is your master repair man local or did you mail it to someone (Quest like you mentioned in my thread?).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Trasid|1366246594|3429398 said:
Awwww.

I still wonder ... what in the world did they do with the original marquis??? Did it just fall out and they failed to reset it? It's so weird!!! What a bunch of ding-dongs!!!

Well here's wishing you the best and I will stay posted. I'm sending good thoughts your way in hopes that you get your ring back soon.

Y'all have been SO LOYAL and supportive - thank you! I FINALLY have the ring back in my hands, and the new head is better than I dreamed it would be. I think it's even prettier than the original! (I'll take pics soon, swear!) The only thing is ... in the three weeks and change since I dropped the ring with my custom guy, he hasn't been able to find a suitable replacement for the marquise, GRR ARGH. He's still looking, though, and says it won't be a problem to swap out when the right candidate appears. As for what they did with it ... if I had to guess what could go wrong so as to necessitate swapping a stone in that spot while swapping out the head, I'd guess they burned it. Le sigh.

susanrachel28 said:
Now that I made a profile, I thought I'd leave a comment. :) I am hoping for a great repair. I can't wait to see pics of the final ring! You're in NY right? Is your master repair man local or did you mail it to someone (Quest like you mentioned in my thread?).

THANK YOU! All those good wishes paid off! When my kiddo naps, I'll snap a few shots of the finished product. :)

My custom guy is local, down on the 47th, so I popped down and back inside of an hour when I dropped it off. There is definitely something reassuring about working with somebody I know, and who's geographically convenient - he actually delivered it to my house on his way to pick his kiddo up from daycare! But it always begs the question of who's local, which is what makes PS so handy - you get the crowdsourced wisdom when you choose your vendor, regardless of location.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, in a more general vein ... MY RING IS BACK ON MY HAND, YAY! My jeweler did his usual amazing job - the craftsmanship is impeccable, and I can't wait to show it to you guys. He's going to invoice me, I'm going to forward it to the original jewelers, and if all goes well, this whole thing will be OVER soon, and I can close this thread out and start a new one in SMTB. Fingers crossed!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1367333365|3437332 said:
And, in a more general vein ... MY RING IS BACK ON MY HAND, YAY! My jeweler did his usual amazing job - the craftsmanship is impeccable, and I can't wait to show it to you guys. He's going to invoice me, I'm going to forward it to the original jewelers, and if all goes well, this whole thing will be OVER soon, and I can close this thread out and start a new one in SMTB. Fingers crossed!

:appl: :appl: :appl: Yay!!!!!!! So very happy for you Circe!!!! Wear her in health, happiness and much love!!!

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
So happy for you! I hope my repair gone really wrong has a happy ending as well.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks so much, Missy!

IE, I remember the pic of your ring from your thread - it is very beautiful, and I very much hope that you find a jeweler who can repair it properly. What on earth did they do to that gorgeous antique?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe, that is very great news!!! :appl: Can't wait to see this!

I do hope in the end you can reference the good repair bench and the poor one in order to help others looking for repairs in NYC.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1367337185|3437394 said:
Circe, that is very great news!!! :appl: Can't wait to see this!

I do hope in the end you can reference the good repair bench and the poor one in order to help others looking for repairs in NYC.

+1 on referencing at least the good one 8)

Congrats on having it back!!! Will be checking back for pics!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, what a relief!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results