shape
carat
color
clarity

redesiging wedding set (family heirloom)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
side pic 2

ringwithbandshank2.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
last one

IMG_1197mm.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
The new pics make me like your ring all the more. I would definitely not have them remade. It looks like they were originally intended to be thin shanks, and with platinum, I am still confused why that should be a problem. If they are really getting so thin that they''re in danger of breaking or something, then maybe, but I don''t know. And chances are, if they''ve been worn for years and haven''t gotten bent or deformed by now, they''re not going to, but then I''m no expert. Maybe if you post pictures such as the following (I had taken these a while back, the one of the bottom of the shank specifically after a request someone had with a similar issue) in Rocky Talk, and ask the jewelry experts there what they think. One of these days I probably should get this reshanked, but I don''t know when I will.

Brodney profile 7_9.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
This is the picture I had taken of the bottom as mentioned above:

dscn7943 bottom of rings 7_9.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
I will have to take some picture when i get home for you -
I''m thinking that since the wedding band might not be able to be used as an actual ring i might take the diamonds out and use the platnium for the ering if needed.
Thank you for the compliments on the ring - since it was cleaned today i have had a hard time working and not staring at the diamond. aparently one jeweler is think 1905. before that, 1920. I love the idea that it has some serious history to it.
face18.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
sometimes answers are staring me right in the face and i swear if it was a snake, i''d be bit.
I''ve had the apraisal right infront of me this whole time...

"The ring measures 5.40mm wide and 6.83mm tall at the top, tapering to .99mm wide and 1.18,, thick at the bottom of the shank"

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
That is thin, but if I remember right, there was even a thread on PS about very thin bands. (in other words intentionally so - people who bought super-thin bands whether on e-ring or w-band) I still don''t think it is necessarily a problem, but again I''m not an expert. Good luck!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
thanks -
I had to put the ring away becuase i was annoying my boyf. technically we''re not engaged yet. phss! anyways, i did go to another jeweler who gave me a MUCH better price for platinum. I need to remember to stay away from the city so i am not paying someone''s rent with my ring :)

The new jeweler gave me some great suggestions and even a way to keep the original wedding band (with slight alterations to my style) and able to use!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results