shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel - what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welborn is trustworthy and I would make an offer on that piece via email instead of buying right off ebay. On a side note, please be leary of red spinel on ebay. The latest synthetics are very deceiving to the eye, and often passed off as natural all over ebay.

I likey that Welborn stone!!
31.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 8:23:06 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
AustenNut - thanks so much for the additional links.
9.gif
I have a concave cut spess much like the 1st paprika that you posted and it''s set as a pendant.

Date: 9/9/2009 7:58:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
What is the carat weight of the AJS stone? I don''t like guesstimating by dimension.
TL, It''s 1.85 ct. I almost always name my pictures the ct.weight and dimensions, so you can see it in the lower corner of my post.
2.gif

CCN - I''ve seen that one, and it was in my watch list, but I''ve tried negotiating with her before and she held fast to her price. For the record, she still hasn''t sold the stone I offered a bid on, and it''s been months.

I may see if she''ll move on this one, though. How''s her return policy?

LOL! .... I guess great minds think alike! ......and I am surprised that she was not more flexible, but that said, she does have a great return policy as I did return a stone from her. I like that she is in the USA too so you don''t have to worry about spending so much on a stone from overseas if you decided to return that one too. Maybe you can use the first stone as a bargaining chip!!
1.gif
Hehehehe! (no pun intended!)
3.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 8:24:57 PM
Hmm . . .

red-spinel-15.jpg
1.85ct.RedSpinel7.60x6.00x5.10.jpg
Pretty close...but I think the Weblorn stone is a bit more saturated and the color looks to be a little deeper...less orange. I see a little bit of that rust color in the AJS stone. WEBLORN!
30.gif
Where is colormyworld? He is who I consider the expert when it comes to spinel!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree CCN, the cushion is a better color than the AJS stone. The AJS stone is priced fairly, but I rather use that $$ for something a bit nicer.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 8:28:54 PM
Welborn is trustworthy and I would make an offer on that piece via email instead of buying right off ebay. On a side note, please be leary of red spinel on ebay. The latest synthetics are very deceiving to the eye, and often passed off as natural all over ebay.

31.gif
I generally stick with our trusted vendors, and it makes me feel better that many of you guys that I trust have bought from her. I''ll send her a note and see what she says.
1.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 8:46:43 PM

31.gif
I generally stick with our trusted vendors, and it makes me feel better that many of you guys that I trust have bought from her. I''ll send her a note and see what she says.
1.gif

36.gif
Good luck! I would love to see someone on here get this stone! Save me from myself!! LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Luck Lauren, I hope you get it too, because I want to see your awesome pics!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 8:49:58 PM
Author: cushioncutnut

Date: 9/9/2009 8:46:43 PM

31.gif
1.gif

36.gif
Good luck! I would love to see someone on here get this stone! Save me from myself!! LOL!
We''ll see. Negotiations have started!
3.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Looking forward to hearing how it all turns out, and to see the pictures as well!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
HERE is something pretty similar to a stop light red, but don''t set it in a ring
2.gif
And in case the perfect spinel hunt turns into a saga, I''d think about one of THESE bargains to get you through the wait
9.gif
Seriously, I think a trillion cut mozambique might be much lighter and much more red than you''d expect a red garnet (that''s not called a spess) to be, due to the specifics of the cut. Now, if you''d only get yourself to want a trillion...
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 7:27:59 PM
Author: AustenNut
Have you gone to Swala Gem Traders? I went to their website and found stones that I would say really are stoplight red. The first one is a downright bargain at a measly $14k. This second one is a bit pricier at $34k but still has that same red color.

Looking through the ones on their website that have already sold, I''d say that the color you''re looking for is going to be quite costly. But then again, if Chrono got her spectacular stone for $600 then maybe you can still find something with the right color that''s reasonably priced. I''ll continue looking.
Austen,
The Swala spinels are no ordinary spinels: those are Mahenge spinels where they are known to have that distinctive look and glow. Initially, Mahenges were priced lower than regular red spinels but have now overtaken even the top red spinels. They are sure a beauty, aren’t they?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Welborn spinel has better saturation but also maybe a hint of purple? $800/ct is expensive but if you can get it down to at least $600ct or less, it’ll be priced more in line with what I expect.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are such enablers!!!!
2.gif

I haven't heard back from Welborn yet . . . will keep you all posted.
1.gif

Chrono - those spinels are serious eye candy.
30.gif
Just a hair out of my price range, though.
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Chrono, I probably wouldn''t pay more than $800 for the Welborn stone when I first saw it. That would be my cap.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the info. I had thought mahenge spinels had more pink to them but am glad to be corrected. What is it that makes those stones so costly? Is it just the color, and now there''s a cachet behind it to increase the demand (and therefore, price)?

Looking forward to hearing how the hunt is going.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The larger the Mahenge, the redder it gets. A high quality Mahenge should have absolutely no orange or purple undertone and those that I’ve seen all have fluorescence. What attracts the eye and kicks up the price is the vivid saturation and glow they seem to give. It’s pretty easy to pick a Mahenge out from a pile of regular red/pink spinels.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I know Dana has spinel rough that should be red. Perhaps you can contact her as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 9:25:49 AM
Author: Sarahbear621
I know Dana has spinel rough that should be red. Perhaps you can contact her as well.
I believe Dana is a "he".
9.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 8:27:59 AM
Author: Chrono
The larger the Mahenge, the redder it gets. A high quality Mahenge should have absolutely no orange or purple undertone and those that I’ve seen all have fluorescence. What attracts the eye and kicks up the price is the vivid saturation and glow they seem to give. It’s pretty easy to pick a Mahenge out from a pile of regular red/pink spinels.
Hey now!
3.gif
I adore my pink/orange mahenge and wouldn''t call it low quality by any means. But I agree with everything else.
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just caught up with this thread! How are the negotiations proceeding Lauren?

For what it's worth, the AJS stone is a tad too orange for me and I wonder if it will have a slight brown look to it in incandescent lighting? The cut is pretty though and the veil wouldn't be noticeable. I like AJS's return policy and their refunds are always swift.

I love the Weblorn gem BUT I do wonder if that's been lit to look lighter than it would appear IRL? It looks like it might be darker without the lighting?????? Also, will the lack of symmetry in the stone drive you nuts or are you ok with native cuts? If the colour is the same as the photo then yummy!

Can't wait to hear what you get!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for chiming in - Weblorn won't budge on the stone even though I offered her $500/ct. so I don't think she'll go lower than $900ish or so.

No worries - I don't need either spinel right now, and I can afford to keep looking.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a shame Lauren but I believe in fate so I think something better will be waiting round the corner for you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 2:33:52 PM
Thanks everyone for chiming in - Weblorn won''t budge on the stone even though I offered her $500/ct. so I don''t think she''ll go lower than $900ish or so.

No worries - I don''t need either spinel right now, and I can afford to keep looking.
Yes, I think you made the right decision to move on. Good luck on your search!!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 8:27:59 AM
Author: Chrono
With the first part of your statement I must disagree. An orangy red is nothing to poo poo so easily. As these are often the MOST expensive spinels. At least that is the what the guide indicates to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
I see I have not been clear at all: I was talking specifically about Mahenges only. An orange red spinel can be very beautiful and falls under a different "category" of its own: flame spinels.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry if I misread but it almost sounded as if you were saying an orange red mahenge would not be considered top quality.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is what I have been told by several vendors.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 4:33:37 PM
Author: colormyworld
Ummmmm ok

LOL! I was hoping you would put your thoughts into this thread.

LTP..... sorry that she wasn''t budging. It must be that she feels the stone is worthy of not bugding on. It must be even more spectacular in person, however, I am one to believe that if it is not meant to be, I am sure you will find one that is!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 4:33:37 PM
Author: colormyworld
Ummmmm ok
CMW,
I can tell you have your own and differing opinion which I''d love it if you don''t mind sharing it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results