shape
carat
color
clarity

Red Spinel prices - 2019 edition

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Ah, @TL, thanks, yeah. I had noticed they were more saturated on my phone...

Yeah, @VividRed, I don't know. Maybe after the Las Vegas show this weekend there will be more red spinels floating around? I lucked into my ruby-red spinel honestly on the description alone (the pics made it look more pinkish, but the vendor swore up and down it was super red -- and it was). Or look for something with that dash of pink, at least in the pics. And yeah, I think they are generally going to be pretty expensive these days unless you're willing to compromise on size or clarity :( (If only I'd bought spinel ten years ago! :) )

Maybe if you asked a vendor who knows what shade you like to keep an eye out for you?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a nice stone, but make sure to check the fluorescence, and most important of all: a lab report certifying it's natural.

If certified by AGL, GIA, or Lotus Gemology as NATURAL and UNTREATED, $5000/ct is reasonable. If the vendor is not willing to get it checked by one of the three aforementioned labs, I would be wary they might be trying to sell you a synthetic spinel. There are no inclusions in this stone, and although that in itself doesn't indicate synthetic, at the size and price you're looking to pay, a lab report should be a PREREQUISITE.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Everyones monitor shows a little different but to me it looks pinkish red.
It looks pinkish red to my screen, too, but in my experience some gemstones that appear vivid red to the eye can show up pinkish red on camera =\.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Hahbowen

Rough_Rock
It looks like a nice stone, but make sure to check the fluorescence, and most important of all: a lab report certifying it's natural.

If certified by AGL, GIA, or Lotus Gemology as NATURAL and UNTREATED, $5000/ct is reasonable. If the vendor is not willing to get it checked by one of the three aforementioned labs, I would be wary they might be trying to sell you a synthetic spinel. There are no inclusions in this stone, and although that in itself doesn't indicate synthetic, at the size and price you're looking to pay, a lab report should be a PREREQUISITE.
Thank you!

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would want pics out of sunlight though. The difference can be super dramatic due to fluorescence. ;)2

True. This spinel looks like it has incredibly strong fluorescence, so it would definitely warrant a video in indoor lighting to see what it looks like without fluor.

Reactions: T L

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice spinel!

Also very expensive, definetely out of my budget by a lot and then some ;-)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Found one that I like.

1.53ct. Red spinel from Burma. Has a couple of feathers clearly visible in magnified images but not too bad at arm distance. Highly fluorescent but tends to brown out a little bit in low light. Camera + white background really harm the color so I used a black background which admittedly is more flattering but it better reflects what I see.

USD 2.1k, if you ask me I think ot was a good deal.

Here the link to pictures and videos, shot today at around 9pm Swiss time, on balcony and with little light:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1k8gjL8RMcRExZIxaKlWYCdXnuVi7ct_A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D0D35B3A-5C8B-42F8-86A7-130CDBC6D51A.jpeg It’s a good deal. I took the liberty of blowing up the photo of it in the worst lighting conditions, so people could see it st it’s worst, because that’s how I think people should shop color. I’ll delete it if you want.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
D0D35B3A-5C8B-42F8-86A7-130CDBC6D51A.jpeg It’s a good deal. I took the liberty of blowing up the photo of it in the worst lighting conditions, so people could see it st it’s worst, because that’s how I think people should shop color. I’ll delete it if you want.

No problem at all, this forum is also here to educate :)

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is a picture of an old spinel I purchased 10 years ago. I do have a certificate somewhere. It’s 11 CT’s, very clean but a darker tone than I consider ideal

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 121

voce

Ideal_Rock
I want to see what other people think of this one.

Lotus reported minor fissure filling but did not say oil or resin, though in general Lotus says FF-O is poor stability.

I wouldn't buy this personally, as my bling budget for the year is spoken for or used up already, but I am curious as to what you all think of the price it is offered at.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to see what other people think of this one.

Lotus reported minor fissure filling but did not say oil or resin, though in general Lotus says FF-O is poor stability.

I wouldn't buy this personally, as my bling budget for the year is spoken for or used up already, but I am curious as to what you all think of the price it is offered at.

I think this one is dark for sure. I have a stone with lotus report. The photo on the report is much lighter than the stone IRL

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I think this one is dark for sure. I have a stone with lotus report. The photo on the report is much lighter than the stone IRL

I thought that the picture on Lotus looks similar to those of the hand held shots. I like that red but not sure about the "bowtie".

vik84

Rough_Rock
Just as an example of what pure reds are going for, here's a stone that is way out of everyone's budget, but fun to drool over. :) 7.20 carat GRS Vivid Red Tanzanian Spinel. About $7800/ct. This vendor used to be the Thai branch of Wild's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scintillat...973443?hash=item1caeb1d1c3:g:8yEAAOSwb39bIkDt

OMG that color! That's about as pure red as you'll find in a spinel. I think I may see a hint of pink in a few of the photos? But that stone is RED.

So I tracked down the seller for this one at the HK show and got him to send me a video:

I think the stone is very clean and a lovely rose-pinkish color but not the Vivid Red that GRS says it is. What do you all think ? Does it still merit a $7800/ct price tag ?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@vik84 I doubt that GRS graded this - video

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would want to see this marvel.

Good question about price - WWW

voce

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the video camera is inadequate to the task. UV fluorescence definitely makes cameras see pink where your eyes see more red.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I would want to see this marvel.

Good question about price - WWW
A lot of those spinels look unattractive to me in the pics posted. Even if I had the money, is pass on most of them lol.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I tracked down the seller for this one at the HK show and got him to send me a video:

I think the stone is very clean and a lovely rose-pinkish color but not the Vivid Red that GRS says it is. What do you all think ? Does it still merit a $7800/ct price tag ?

For this budget, you should go to any gem show yourself.

vik84

Rough_Rock
For this budget, you should go to any gem show yourself.

So a friend of mine did track down this dealer at their booth in the Hong Kong gem show. The dealer didn't even put out this stone on display at the booth but showed it privately upon request. It was definitely one of the better spinels at the show, but again more pinkish-red with a rose tinge rather than a watermelon red color. Considering an offer of $5K/ct given the clarity and size of the stone.

theresa.a

Rough_Rock
Good evening all!

In my search for ruby I have, thanks to the awesome advice received from this community, been shown some red spinels as cheaper and possibly better alternatives. I’ve read a bit about it but know very little about the spinel trade.

There was a threat on red spinel pricing dating back 2012 but the prices I see online today are way higher than those suggested then and there.

So I thought to create a new one, hopefully more relevant for the gem collector of 2019.

I saw a few that really struck me, here they are:

- 3.05 carats from National Gemstones. Top color incl. full AGL report: http://www.preciousgemstones.com/305buspfs.html

- 3.44 ct. also from National Gemstones. Similar color (a bit less red but better clarity) and AGL report: http://www.preciousgemstones.com/344buspfs.html

- 1.59 ct. from FineWater Gems. I saw more pictures + video from Gary and it looks incredible: https://www.finewatergems.com/store/p287/1.59_ct_Burmese_Red_Spinel.html

They are all superb and in the 3-5k per ct. price range. Surely there is cheaper stuff out there but of lower quality I presume. Is this the new standard for fine red Spinel? Vlad from Ivy New York has a few but the similarly or higher priced ones look pink to me :(

Looking forward to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Best,
VRed

Hello. I recently bought a 3.5 carat Burmese "pigeon blood" red spinel from a gem buyer in New Brunswick Canada. I paid $1,000 per carat. Beautiful stone from Myanmar, came with a certificate, but the buyer also ordered a GIA certificate to ensure there were no issues.

In 2017 I bought a blue Sri Lankan spinel from the same buyer through GemRock Auctions, the store name is GemRough. Very fair and reputable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results