shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel opinions

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you Dana I absolutely do love it when things turn out right :clap: :dance: :appl:

I've not been able to stop looking at it all day, not to mention the Cheshire cat smile I've had plastered on all day too!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy you like it and that it worked out for you. Wear it well. :))

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks minous. Only problem now is I need another (bigger) one! I used to have a philosophy of only owning 1 of a specific type of genstone (because it's not like there's a shortage of choice right) but after seeing the fire and brilliance in this...I dare not imagine how much a bigger one would dazzle me! And I need it. :drool:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to read that it turned out much nicer than expected, which is always a bonus! :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Congrats! So happy it turned out well and you love it. :appl:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks sparkli!

I'm seriously considering a bigger spinel now but still a bit confused as to 'true red'. I really want the highly sough after red spinel...

Is my current one (in second pic) the right red? Or what exactly should I look out for next time?

Thanks for your time guys!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's more to red than just true red. Colour quality is broken down into 3 components, although they overlap.

Tone - medium dark is highly sought after. Too light and it becomes pink. Too dark and it becomes blackish.
Hue - pure red is very difficult to find. Some might have a hint of blue but most will have some orange.
Saturation - too little and it will become brownish. Highly saturated stones will pop and be noticed from far away, regardless of size.

S

SparkliesLuver

theredspinel said:
Thanks sparkli! I'm seriously considering a bigger spinel now but still a bit confused as to 'true red'. I really want the highly sough after red spinel...

You're welcome. :) Honestly, my best advice is to look, look, look and then look some more. See as many red spinels in person as you can because red is so hard to photograph. You'll learn to develop an eye for the 3 components that Chrono mentioned. You'll also learn where your tolerances are and what you must have versus what you'd like to have. Go by your eye though. It's fun to ask the opinions of others, but in the end, you have to love it. And lastly, when you do find one, it (most likely) won't be a deal. ;-) :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And adding to what the others have said, be prepared to spend top dollar if what you seek is a red red spinel. They are rare and pricey.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. I know for top gems I'd definitely have to pay top prices and I don't expect anything different; the allure of a rare gem that the mainstream doesn't yet know about always gets me!

I hope I can save long enough to in a couple of years get a decent size rep spinel...I'd love that. The immediate problem however seems to be I'm kinda addicted to gems and amassing too much too quick (which other then financial reprocussions) means I'm settling a lot (usually on size).

I just really don't have the patience to save for a few months and get what I want in the size I want!!

I'm still madly hooked on a hot pink spinel or a deep blue aqua. I really really hope I don't cave and buy something right now and comprimise on the size I'd like!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound so much like me...and seeing all of the beautiful stones on PS doesn't help, does it?

I think its okay to sacrifice size as long as you don't sacrifice color and it has a decent cut...especially if you find yourself wearing and loving your beautiful new ring. I built my collection that way since joining and realize I enjoy the variety as opposed to a few larger expensive pieces (and truthfully, I wear my under 2 carat stones more often than my larger ones). But that's a personal preference.

Personally, I would put a hot pink spinel at the top of your list - they are getting harder to come by and prices seem to still be going up- so you want to have the funds when you see one at a reasonable price. My first purchase after joining PS was a mahenge spinel and so glad I did. Yvonne Raley on Etsy is having a sale and/or watch LoupeTroop. Ask the seller a lot of questions because some of my best deals were from lousy pictures :) .

Can't wait to watch you build your collection...what a fantastic start!!

S

SparkliesLuver

I started PS with the mindset that I wanted a few larger stones - meaning around 10mm - and that was it. Size was really important to me as I have larger fingers (size 9.5). I've since come to realize that color is top of my list, and in order to have the colors that I want, I was probably going to have to "sacrifice" size. However, it was interesting because when you actually find the color, it doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to have it in a bit smaller size...hence the quotes above. Granted, I have a minimum size (in mm) that I try to be conscious of, but when I saw my red spinel, I never thought twice about the size. I'm grateful I found it when I did because if I had seen it when I first joined PS, I would have overlooked it. I've also realized that with "smaller" stones, you can have a lot more freedom and fun with the design. I really enjoy that part!

I took this picture last night as the sun was going down, so it's not the best, but these are two of my three favorite stones (the third being the paraiba in my avatar). And, honestly, all three of my favorite stones are smaller than my others. Weird to say but it's true because of their color. I can also agree with lilmosun about wearing the 2ct stones more often than the larger ones.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything - just sharing my experience and evolution since joining PS. You're on an exciting journey, that's for sure. Enjoy it! :)

img_9931.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1448456794|3953995 said:
I started PS with the mindset that I wanted a few larger stones - meaning around 10mm - and that was it. Size was really important to me as I have larger fingers (size 9.5). I've since come to realize that color is top of my list, and in order to have the colors that I want, I was probably going to have to "sacrifice" size. However, it was interesting because when you actually find the color, it doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice to have it in a bit smaller size...hence the quotes above. Granted, I have a minimum size (in mm) that I try to be conscious of, but when I saw my red spinel, I never thought twice about the size. I'm grateful I found it when I did because if I had seen it when I first joined PS, I would have overlooked it. I've also realized that with "smaller" stones, you can have a lot more freedom and fun with the design. I really enjoy that part!

I took this picture last night as the sun was going down, so it's not the best, but these are two of my three favorite stones (the third being the paraiba in my avatar). And, honestly, all three of my favorite stones are smaller than my others. Weird to say but it's true because of their color. I can also agree with lilmosun about wearing the 2ct stones more often than the larger ones.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything - just sharing my experience and evolution since joining PS. You're on an exciting journey, that's for sure. Enjoy it! :)

Hubba hubba on those reds! :cheeky:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg those reds... :love:

Totally agree with you lilmosun...I've brought myself a massive (in my jewellery collection) sapphire cocktail ring now so hopefully that would sort out the 'big' itch I'm having.

My darling hubby pointed out I was getting a lot of little stones as a pose to one big stone, with the sapphire ring so I might still want that big center stone..We'll see.

I'm happy to have heat only treated stones with fun pieces like the LeVian sapphire ring...but the stones I care deeply about like the mahenge spinel or the first of any other rare gem that I want.. I would rather go all out and get a great specimen at a small size (and making sure it's unheated and untreated etc).

Maybe if/when I have a few fun pieces, my 'serious' stones won't leave me feeling like everything I own is small.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed SparkliesLover new stones :love: I can't wait to see what she does with them...her paraiba ring is to die for. I am a size 8 so also dismissed rings with small center stones until I came to PS. I still need finger coverage but get it from the settings I choose. The stone still remains the focal point when it has color that pops.

The sapphire cluster ring looks like it will be a fun bling piecel! Eye catching and sure to get a lot of compliments. My first serious CS purchase was the cluster ring in my avatar - because I couldn't find a larger one in my budget and still can't- is still one of my favorites. LeVian pieces have often caught my eye and my aunt has a few pieces..they have some great designs. You may want to confirm untreated except for heat if its important to you (if you haven't already) because I didn't know they guaranteed that. Not that treatments are necessarily bad as long as you are aware...even high end lines sell treated stones and many of us own/love irradiated electric blue topaz stones. I only asked because you mentioned it and it's a ring I would love to own/wear regardless (of course this is coming from someone who loves wearing vintage czech glass necklaces :shhh: ).

My first mahenge spinel was only 1/2 carat (5 mm) bought pre-loved. It was supposed to be a placeholder until I got a larger one. Surprisingly, I still love wearing it to this day (although as a stack ring)...so I've kept it despite offers from others to buy. Some of my favorites are my smallest - cobalt spinel, mahenges, paraibas - agreed again with SparkliesLover - when the color screams at you, you don't really thing about size as a sacrifice. Hope you find a beauty to get you started soon :)

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I really didn't want irradiated sapphires so emailed them prior to purchasing. They responded really fast and stated the saphs are only heat treated, they are ceylon saphs and this ring was part of a very limited line.

I am just going to take their word for it (plus I have it in writing should I need it haha).

I was umm-ing and ah-ing over the heat thing but I realised there's nothing wrong with having a mixed collection, some 'pure' stones, and some heated, and maybe one day a nice blue topaz and such..

Gosh I sound like a snob but I swear I'm really not! Most of the appeal of a gem to me really lies in the knowledge that this is something Man had nothing to do with and it's still so beautiful...call me strange but it gives me a really strong grounded feeling amidst the crazy ness of life!

I don't think I'd pay full retail price for a LeVian piece though as lovely as they are as they are usually heated and hence I don't think worth the initial price tag. Wait for a sale :D

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono I came across that thread when I was doing my ps research!!

I've got it in writing from LeVian that the stones are only heat treated and I'm not sure if the 'cirtificate'/ paperwork they provide will also reiterate it.

I think a massive name such as there's would know the implications of not disclosing all treatments/enhancements and outright lying so for now I'm just happy to take their word for it. I think (because this ring was 1 of their mid to higher priced items) also that it's much more plausible they don't mass produce this ring in the millions hence not needing to use diffused sapphires.

They were very clear to point out in general, the saphs maybe diffused but by no means are they always, even in the bigger single main stone type rings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They seem to hedge around treatment, even in their main single sapphire stone rings. I've looked at their listings and they state that their sapphires are often heat treated and sometimes diffused. That's it. No further proof and no further clarification. I also wouldn't take the word of their sales representative because they often are not knowledgeable about the product they sell. It is quite scary that most CSers know more about gemstones than jewellery salespeople. Even Tiffany sells diffused stones and do not disclose it. Another PSers suspected a high end store selling pink CZ as a pink diamond or topaz or something. The salesperson just had no clue what she was talking about.

Regardless, I think it is a pretty ring and it will turn a lot of heads!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes their website is useless!! It wasn't a sales person I was talking to it was the son (or grand son-i forget) of the designer.

ETA I was just enquiring about my specific ring so couldn't say for another other ring. I did get told the lower prices items (still in the hundreds though!) Would take the bulk of the diffused/heavily treated stones, but again not impossible for one of their top items to have diffused stones.

I think the safest thing to do if anyone wants to purchase a LeVian ring is send a really serious email asking for this type of info and get them to state things clearly/dirextly and not sales speak.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theredspinel|1449070048|3956416 said:
Yes their website is useless!! It wasn't a sales person I was talking to it was the son (or grand son-i forget) of the designer.

ETA I was just enquiring about my specific ring so couldn't say for another other ring. I did get told the lower prices items (still in the hundreds though!) Would take the bulk of the diffused/heavily treated stones, but again not impossible for one of their top items to have diffused stones.

I think the safest thing to do if anyone wants to purchase a LeVian ring is send a really serious email asking for this type of info and get them to state things clearly/dirextly and not sales speak.

I disagree. Imo, the safest things is to do what we always suggest here - make the sale contingent upon a lab report from a reputable lab like AGL. I tend to agree with Chrono, that a written statement from Levian is not worth much, unfortunately. :(sad

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks minous, you're right. Generally nothing other then a recognised lab cert will give total peace of mind (and even that's debatable - which lab is most trust worthy etc and not to mention the hacking re GIA :o )

I meant if a person wants a LeVian ring and is happy with heat at the very least, won't hurt to ask and get info directly from the horses mouth.

For a fun ring like this I. E. with such tiny saphs, I'm happy to accept their word based on their Name.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a nice red. Great job!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results