shape
carat
color
clarity

Red spinel opinions

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Hi everyone! New here. I've just purchased this red spinel for a really good price and wanted the experts opinions on it. It was described as true red. The attached picture is taken in doors in window/sun light.

There are a couple of inclusions that don't effect the integrity of the stone and it is about .70 carets. It's also of burmese origin.

Thanks for your opinions!

screenshot_2015-11-14-17-41-21_2.jpg
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,798
It appears to be well proportioned in the ring and as a whole, seems to be a pretty ring. As for the stone itself, as you probably know, from your one photo, it appears to be dark in tone and not a highly saturated stone. In other words, not the trade ideal. I don't know what to say when stones are described as "true red." To me, true red is a pure red, medium tone and strong to vivid saturation. Unfortunately, your stone is not that.

ETA: Forgot to say welcome!! :doh:
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Thanks for your response! It's definetly saturated, it comes with GIA detailing it's medium to medium dark tone and strong saturation.
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,798
Are you sure its from GIA? I have never seen a lab report from GIA that specifies saturation level. Could it be that what you are referring to is some sort of comments from a GIA-certified gemologist?
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Oh sorry I missed out the main words! Meant to say GIA employee assured... :wall:
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Btw the seller did tell me very clearly it was just her educated opinion rather then a proper appraisal so I wasn't misled.
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,798
Oh good, because GIA doesn't offer opinions like that. In fact, from your photo, it definitely does not have strong saturation, nor would it be considered anything other than medium dark to dark in tone, unfortunately, so it really is just the seller's opinion I'm afraid.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
I know how hard coloured stones are to photo accurately so I will definetly post back when I have it in my hand! Can't wait :dance: :dance:
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,798
Oh yes, please! I did not realize that you didn't have it yet. Here's to looking forward to a lovely ring - and more photos from you. :))
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Haha I did want to wait until I had the ring in my hand to post but just couldn't wait.
 

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 30, 2014
Messages
2,390
For me, red and yellow stones are the hardest to photograph and judge by a picture. Also, red seems to me like one of those stones where ideal can vary a lot on personal preferences/taste (and that is what is most important).

I think it's a pretty red but I have no idea what makes a stone trade ideal or not (frankly, I've learned to stop stressing over that when I love something). You will need to show more pictures once in hand!
 
S

SparkliesLuver

Guest
Welcome, theredspinel! :D :wavey:

I too love red spinels, but I quickly realized true red is rrrrrreeeeeeeeeaaaallllly hard to find. In the end, you go by what you and your eye love, since you'll be the one wearing it. Although I wouldn't consider yours to be true red from the one picture - and I know just how hard it is to capture an accurate color - congrats on a pretty ring! Can't wait to see your pictures once you have it in hand.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Thanks guys! I do love the red tone in this (from what I see in the pics) and I specifically brought from this person because she came personally recommended. I was very excited at the thought of having a 'true red' spinel at the price I paid for this ring haha and due to her credentials (currently gemologist at GIA) trusted her eye and judgement. Even if another GIA employee was to disagree with her and wouldn't call it a true red (as happens frequently) I'd still love it purely for the colour it is (whatever it's called)!

So....how much do you guys think this is? I really don't have much of an idea about accurate prices especially for spinels but I'm jus happy I got something I loved for less then I had planned to spend :appl:

ETA forgot to mention she did say the cut of the spinel was to save caret weight and hence made it darker in tone then could have been....
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
I would wait on the ring to arrive before making the decision to keep or return. Does it have a return policy or is the sale final because it is a personal sale?

1. Does it colour shift?
2. Does it fluorescence?
3. Is it confirmed to not be treated?

If you didn't pay much for it, the above 3 questions may not matter, especially if you fall in love with it hard. :))
 

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
12,798
I would suggest that it is worth what you paid for it. :))
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
There is a return policy. In answer to those questions, I don't know about colour shifting, yes to florescence and define no to any treatments at all.
 

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
9,083
What really matters is if the ring speaks to you. The ring doesn't speak to me, though I think its pretty.

If you're at all concerned about the stone, have it independently checked by AGL. They will take rings, though it will cost a bit more.

If you're not too concerned about it and find it pretty, but you don't think its worth bothering because it didn't really cost much or, it costs more to have it checked than what you paid, then its not really worth bothering. Enjoy it for what it is; a pretty ring :)

But I would not take the word of any ol gemologist if I paid a lot of money on a piece. That's just me though.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Thanks for all the furthur opinions its really appreciated. But c'mon guys I need some numbers here. Roughly those of you worth years of experience in buying, how much should this ring be?

I think it's a good deal but I have a history of overpaying and no spinel buying experience to base it on.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
I cannot give any numbers because:
1. I have not seen proof of non-treatment. Many spinels are now treated without disclosure
2. I have not seen proof of whether it has fluorescence
3. I do not know how accurate the colour of the spinel is in the picture. I also need to know the extent of the colour shift.
4. I need to see extreme closeup of the spinel to better evaluate the cut and clarity/inclusions

All the above affects the pricing, whereby the the ring could be $300 or it could be $1000.
 

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
9,083
Chrono|1447763978|3950697 said:
I cannot give any numbers because:
1. I have not seen proof of non-treatment. Many spinels are now treated without disclosure
2. I have not seen proof of whether it has fluorescence
3. I do not know how accurate the colour of the spinel is in the picture. I also need to know the extent of the colour shift.
4. I need to see extreme closeup of the spinel to better evaluate the cut and clarity/inclusions

All the above affects the pricing, whereby the the ring could be $300 or it could be $1000.


This. Anyone could throw out some arbitrary numbers but they won't mean a lot without some hard facts to back them up.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Well if everything is as I've said how much should one expect to pay for such a stone/ring?
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
I tried to be really diplomatic but it looks like you want the hard facts. :knockout:

On my monitor, the spinel does not look like a true red. It is a bit dark in tone, has some areas of extinction and is sort of brownish, given that it is photographed at almost the best lighting condition (shaded natural light source). I expect this colouration to shift significantly under indoor lights, to show more orange and "close-up" more. Presuming the stone is eye clean and the diamond looks like little chips, I'd say a few hundred for the setting and $100 to $200 for the spinel.

However, if it is a blazing true red spinel that holds it colour well, then it could well be at least $600 to $1K. Note that the vendor listed below is on the expensive side, so most people will wait for a sale before buying.
http://www.africagems.com/oval-red-spinel-gemstone-55677770.html?gclid=CPaoxqb2l8kCFVA6gQod94UDPw
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Thank you Chrono!!! Exactly the detailed hard cold facts I wanted to hear :)
 

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
10,258
Chrono|1447779247|3950776 said:
I tried to be really diplomatic but it looks like you want the hard facts. :knockout:

On my monitor, the spinel does not look like a true red. It is a bit dark in tone, has some areas of extinction and is sort of brownish, given that it is photographed at almost the best lighting condition (shaded natural light source). I expect this colouration to shift significantly under indoor lights, to show more orange and "close-up" more. Presuming the stone is eye clean and the diamond looks like little chips, I'd say a few hundred for the setting and $100 to $200 for the spinel.

However, if it is a blazing true red spinel that holds it colour well, then it could well be at least $600 to $1K. Note that the vendor listed below is on the expensive side, so most people will wait for a sale before buying.
http://www.africagems.com/oval-red-spinel-gemstone-55677770.html?gclid=CPaoxqb2l8kCFVA6gQod94UDPw


Or the stone could black out in some lighting. I highly suspect this stone will because it's already showing that in, what might be, optimum lighting. True red spinels are almost one in a million. This stone is not true red. Having said that, from what you've written you love it and that's the most important thing. What I would say is "do you feel comfortable with the price?". If the answer is yes, and you love it when it arrives, don't worry about anything else.

A word of caution - it's best to think that the gem when it turns up is going to be awful. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen in love with a stone and have high hopes and it turns up and I've gone "oh" (not in a good way). So I always convince myself I'm going to get a dud and when I don't it's so much sweeter! :lol:
 
S

SparkliesLuver

Guest
LD said:
A word of caution - it's best to think that the gem when it turns up is going to be awful. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen in love with a stone and have high hopes and it turns up and I've gone "oh" (not in a good way). So I always convince myself I'm going to get a dud and when I don't it's so much sweeter! :lol:

:lol: I've done this too, LD.
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
38,364
SparkliesLuver|1447938284|3951674 said:
LD said:
A word of caution - it's best to think that the gem when it turns up is going to be awful. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen in love with a stone and have high hopes and it turns up and I've gone "oh" (not in a good way). So I always convince myself I'm going to get a dud and when I don't it's so much sweeter! :lol:

:lol: I've done this too, LD.

Thritto! It's always great to be surprised by the stone looking nicer than pictured, rather than downed when the stone doesn't live up to the pictures.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Hi everyone....I'm so happy!!! My ring is here and....its gorgeous!

I've uploaded the best pic I've taken (while trying to fend of my toddler for the 'sparkly mummy sparkly') but it is so hard to capture the true brilliance and tone of the ring with my mobile.

I'm in England UK so I did stand by my window to get a 'in shade under natural sunlight' but I don't think I'll truly be able to do that until another 6 months or so! Even then it's hit and miss, grey and overcast is our natural setting :roll:

There seems to be no areas of extinction and whilst it is medium to medium dark tone it definetly is a red (and not dark red) spinel! So happy! In my front room which is the darkest in the house it's still such a lively and sparkly stone. I can't wait to take it outside but I won't bother until at least it's a bit brighter out.

screenshot_2015-11-21-12-28-40.png
 

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
10,535
What a stunning stone and ring!! Such a gorgeous and vibrant red :love:
Enjoy wearing your new beauty that looks like a ruby.
 

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 14, 2015
Messages
1,148
Thanks Acinom!
 

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
356
Great eye :appl:

It looks like a lovely red gem spinel to me... Open color and no dead spots :appl:

Do you not just love it when things turn out right ???

So happy for you as it looks like Christmas :)

Most respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master gem Cutter
#96CGE42
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top