VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think vanilla diamonds have black flecks in them like vanilla bean ice cream

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I didn't notice that.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
The majority of their stones are treated. I have a beautiful LeVian sapphire diamond halo ring. The certificate says "natural". But, on their website, it has a disclaimer that most of the stones are treated.

I love my ring. But, I know the sapphire isn't the best one on the market.

Have you seen their paraiba tourmaline rings?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Yes. They look decent.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like some of their settings. I was thinking of getting one second hand, popping out the center stone, and putting in one of my own.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm just curious but does anyone know why is it listed as "Blueberry Sapphire™"? what did they trademark? the use of "blueberry"?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ,
I have no idea about the Blueberry Sapphire name, and the same goes for Vanilla Diamond name, which is puzzling. I wonder if the diamond is trademarked or if there is something different about it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ,
Thanks for doing more investigative work on the Vanilla Diamond trademark. It does not tell me what it means though or what makes it special. Admittedly, I'm not good at searches so I hope those with a nimble keyboard will be able to find out more. The same goes for the Blueberry Sapphire name.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it means they have trademarked and have exclusive use of Blueberry Sapphire, Vanilla Diamond, etc.
that means other vendors cannot use those terms in marketing for sale their items.
the one that would concern me if i were a vendor is "chocolate pearls" as listed on page 1 of the le vian applied for/rec'd trademarks.

from the uspto website:
What is a trademark?
A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a combination thereof, that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jsp#_Toc275426672

interesting that this type of thing that went on with other industries is now happening within the jewelry business.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I understand what you mean now. So the item doesn't necessarily have special characterstics that makes it stand apart from other similar items, only that other vendors can no longer advertise using words such as VD and BS? :read:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
They seem to be using food-related marketing a lot, with their chocolate diamonds and all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love chocolate diamonds, in darkened metal. I saw a brown pearl surrounded by rose cut chocolate diamonds in darkened metal, and it was so beautiful. I guess that's why I enjoy Levian when I do occasionally walk by a mall store.

aaronl

Rough_Rock
As the USPTO link indicates, the term "vanilla diamond" is meaningless except as a marketing tool - like "Corinthian leather" or the panoply of names given to cubic zirconium. "Bracelets; Diamonds; Earrings; Gems; Jewelry; Necklaces; Pendants; Pins being jewelry; Rings; Watches; all of the foregoing made in whole or significant part of diamonds." So if they have a diamond that is... made in whole or in significant part of diamonds... they, and only they, can call it a "vanilla diamond". Vanilla gold means "Jewelry made in whole or significant part of gold". I will not be surprised to find, if they're pursuing a registered trademark, to ultimately learn that a "blueberry sapphire" is a sapphire made in whole or in significant part of sapphire.

I probably would have stayed away from the emphasis on vanilla, as a competitor might distinguish its products, "... because not everybody wants plain vanilla."

In relation to the abbreviations used above, I am not sure if they would appreciate the gemstone community referring to their "blueberry sapphires" as "BS". ;-)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol. You guys missed the "Vanilla Gold"! I believe they are marketing rose gold as "Strawberry Gold" too.

Oh good grief. "Honey Gold"? Let me guess, yellow gold?

ETA: "Blackberry Gold"?! WTF?! Black rhodium plating maybe?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
didn't miss it.....just didn't single it out.
its sad, imo.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Cheesy marketing aside, it actually confuses me that they have some actually nice, high end pieces. When I think LeVian, I think of low end treated stones, but that is an incorrect assumption. The should separate their high end from their low end pieces with a different name. (Similar to Banana Republic, Gap and Old Navy.)

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1382031767|3539599 said:
I think I understand what you mean now. So the item doesn't necessarily have special characterstics that makes it stand apart from other similar items, only that other vendors can no longer advertise using words such as VD and BS? :read:
I would like to see vendors use VD and BS :lol: Good ones Chrono

Edit: Android system also uses Food Name and they sell very well

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aaronl|1382036592|3539650 said:
In relation to the abbreviations used above, I am not sure if they would appreciate the gemstone community referring to their "blueberry sapphires" as "BS". ;-)

In looking back at my post above, VD isn't a good abbreviation choice either. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results