shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting Saphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ice Scream

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

So I have a platinum ring with some Pave diamonds on the edges and a nice sized saphire in the middle. It was my great grandfather''s and now it''s mine.

The only problem is the saphire has a chipped facet. I don''t know much about colored stones, but it looks like it would be a RB cut in a diamond. The chipped facet is in the pavillion.

Can this normally be recut? Who would you recommend to do this? How much does something like this usually cost?

I will try to get some pictures up here when I can.

Thanks

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/29/2009 11:44:24 AM
Author:Ice Scream
Hey guys,

So I have a platinum ring with some Pave diamonds on the edges and a nice sized saphire in the middle. It was my great grandfather's and now it's mine.

The only problem is the saphire has a chipped facet. I don't know much about colored stones, but it looks like it would be a RB cut in a diamond. The chipped facet is in the pavillion.

Can this normally be recut? Who would you recommend to do this? How much does something like this usually cost?

I will try to get some pictures up here when I can.

Thanks
Ice Cream,
You stated the chipped facet is on the pavilion. Sapphires can/do chip from time to time, but they are known for their resistance to wear and tear. While this may very well be a chip, it is likely what you may be seeing is a 'parting' on the bottom of the Sapphire. Parting is one of the characteristics of Sapphire (and Ruby as well).

In today's Sapphire market, using all the latest technology including high tempurature heating and the filling or diffusion into/onto Sapphires, the chip you see on your great grandfather's Sapphire would have been filled in with 'other' substances and hidden from view. One way to envision this, is it could be considered similar to having the glass in your windshield 'repaired' with a high refractive index fluid. Not the same, but both have similar results.

As to having it recut, yes this is possible. However, it would need to be removed from the mounting. This, too, could be problematic, but unlikely for a skilled craftsman.

Regarding the cost of fixing the chip. If it is truly only the fixing of a chip, and the surrounding facets, it will not be expensive as these things sometimes can be. Although, you may want to have the faceter address adjusting the symmetry of the Sapphire to improve its overall apperance, and thereby masking the area where the repair took place. Of course, all of this is depending on the actual chip - its placement, its size, etc.

Ice Scream

Rough_Rock
I am fairly certain it is a chip; however, I will make sure when I get home.

Assuming it is a chip:
Are you saying it can be filled in? Would this material be like epoxy? Can most skilled jewelers do this, or does this take a special skill and someone who specializes in doing this?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/29/2009 12:51:05 PM
Author: Ice Scream
I am fairly certain it is a chip; however, I will make sure when I get home.

Assuming it is a chip:
Are you saying it can be filled in? Would this material be like epoxy? Can most skilled jewelers do this, or does this take a special skill and someone who specializes in doing this?
IceCream,
Assuming it is a chip....
It is something that can be filled in, but it isn''t done in north America. Also, to have this accomplished, it would need to be heated to very high tempuratures [roughly 1600*c] to allow the lead-glass filling to ''in-fill'' the void. This process may have other unintentional consequences that you may not like. The process is generally performed in the eastern Thailand province of Chanthaburi. They are the experts in performing heat-treating of Sapphire, Ruby and a host of other gems and minerals.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How obvious is the "chip" when you are wearing the ring? Could you live with not fixing it?

I personally would try to live with it since it is an heirloom ring. Unless it''s too large for your tastes and could be improved by a recut.

HTH

Ice Scream

Rough_Rock
I definately wouldn''t call it an "Heirloom" ring. It has pretty much just sat in various draws for the past 50 or so years. I don''t think anyone has put much thought into it since my Great Grandfather actually wore it.

There really is no emotional attachement to it by anonyone. It is very uncomfortable to wear. I''d like to take the sapphire, diamonds, and platinum and have something made that someone will actually wear. I figure while I do this, I might as well have the chip repaired.

It is pretty noticable to me. I''m not sure if the casual observer who might just catch a glimpse would notice it or not.

I might consider having a custom class ring made out of it since the bule of the saphire and the grey of the platinum would match my school colors. I''ve been kind of wanting one ever since I graduated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results