shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting MRB to OEC approx cost and weight loss?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I picked up this diamond for $2042 before tax.

It seemed like a good price and with 30 days to return it if this plan doesn’t work I figured why not…

Thoughts? I haven’t found lab OECs on the cheaper side but if I can get this project done around $3k (before tax cause 10.1% really messes up my lower budget ideas) I’ll keep it + my ACA.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
DEFB357D-DC87-4665-9520-2408AF9A15EE.png

The cert for quick review. I’m on mobile and didn’t know how to just save it as a pic :roll2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I picked up this diamond for $2042 before tax.

It seemed like a good price and with 30 days to return it if this plan doesn’t work I figured why not…

Thoughts? I haven’t found lab OECs on the cheaper side but if I can get this project done around $3k (before tax cause 10.1% really messes up my lower budget ideas) I’ll keep it + my ACA.

The link brings you to a general search on their website.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
D9500EDB-7C93-4BC5-A9FC-C873B1C446FC.png
Here’s a pic if it doesn’t work. This + the cert is all the info.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The link didn’t work again but the diamond for that price is a win! Did you find a place to have it recut?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
The link didn’t work again but the diamond for that price is a win! Did you find a place to have it recut?

Ugh links… not sure why I can’t get them to work.

They offered me a G for the same price. I posted a thread on that here and need to decide ASAP.

I reached out to Southwest Diamond Cutters and am pending a response.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Parks? His lab stones have a beautiful pattern. It seems risky to buy a modern stone and have it recut hoping you will like the pattern. Just my 2 cents :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Parks? His lab stones have a beautiful pattern. It seems risky to buy a modern stone and have it recut hoping you will like the pattern. Just my 2 cents :)

I have! All his stuff is higher color and more $ than I’m willing to spend on a lab piece. Plus everything sells faster than I can move.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have! All his stuff is higher color and more $ than I’m willing to spend on a lab piece. Plus everything sells faster than I can move.

I thought your budget was 10k in which case earth mined and/or his labs are attainable. Or did I miss something?

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Great minds think alike! I had also thought about buying a larger MRB and have it recut to OEC and still be cheaper. I would like a pair of lab OEC in the size of around 2.2 to 2.5 ct each, and Alex has a lot of great finds, exactly what I have been looking for....except for the price. His price is overall reasonable, but still much higher compared to some similar quality MRB that I am seeing on B2C or Clean Origin. I also don't care to have a high color OEC, I prefer OEC to have slight warmth. I don't see the value of spending extra $ to buy from Alex for the super white OECs.

I thought about checking out Tianyu, but just not sure about the hassle if I have to return to an international vendor. I also looked into Ouros, the pictures look great, but seems like some people are not very happy about his custom cut service. I am still looking for a value conscious way of buying some lab OECs.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Great minds think alike! I had also thought about buying a larger MRB and have it recut to OEC and still be cheaper. I would like a pair of lab OEC in the size of around 2.2 to 2.5 ct each, and Alex has a lot of great finds, exactly what I have been looking for....except for the price. His price is overall reasonable, but still much higher compared to some similar quality MRB that I am seeing on B2C or Clean Origin. I also don't care to have a high color OEC, I prefer OEC to have slight warmth. I don't see the value of spending extra $ to buy from Alex for the super white OECs.

I thought about checking out Tianyu, but just not sure about the hassle if I have to return to an international vendor. I also looked into Ouros, the pictures look great, but seems like some people are not very happy about his custom cut service. I am still looking for a value conscious way of buying some lab OECs.

I spoke with Southwest Diamond Cutters and it sounds like I can get this project done just a smidge over $3000 pre-tax. They said we’d go down from 2.6 ct to 2.4 ct and 8.9mm to about 8.6 mm. That does all work perfectly fine for me size wise, but I just saw Alex Park post lab diamonds super cheap (3 pc, 3.42 ctw, $1600 total). Now I’m wondering if I should wait to see where lab prices go. The diamond is arriving Friday and it would be cheaper than any comparable lab OEC, so I’m still weighing it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results