shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut/repolish antique mine cut diamond before selling?

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
I have been dragging my heels since my divorce on selling my big chonky mine cut diamond. I was just looking at the GIA plot and realized that the SI1 grade was mostly from naturals, chips, and not from any internal inclusions. I started thinking if it would be worth it to repolish/cut to take out all the abrasions and then have it regraded at GIA for a higher clarity grading, or if it would just be easier to go ahead and sell it as is. 20220517_151612.jpg 20220517_151612.jpg 20230721_170123.jpg 20230721_170123.jpg 20230721_170115.jpg 20230721_170115.jpg

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the duplicates of the photos. I'm not the best at this.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it actually Cartier per the ring box? If it is and you have the paperwork, I wouldn’t touch it.
Alternatively, get it assessed by someone who knows old cuts and won’t just suggest recutting it into an MRB and see if they think you’d lose size or change the light return.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you would need to have it evaluated by someone like Sako. I think he does old stone clean-ups. Part of the
girdle is extremely thin which would make me nervous having work done on it unless it was by someone who has
a lot of experience with old stones.

Beautiful stone and ring by the way.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I think you would need to have it evaluated by someone like Sako. I think he does old stone clean-ups. Part of the
girdle is extremely thin which would make me nervous having work done on it unless it was by someone who has

Agree with this. I’d hate to see any damage done to this gorgeous stone. Your target audience I think would appreciate the true antique nature of this stone.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Is it actually Cartier per the ring box? If it is and you have the paperwork, I wouldn’t touch it.
Alternatively, get it assessed by someone who knows old cuts and won’t just suggest recutting it into an MRB and see if they think you’d lose size or change the light return.

Oh no, it is not Cartier. I was just using the box for taking pics. That was when the stone was set, but it is now loose.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going to say my opinion which is please do not inquire about a re-polish for this really wonderful historic diamond with anyone, no matter how experienced. A modern gem cutter will look at this stone’s polish and flea-bites and of course recomend that they work on it to make it “better“/ more sellable/pristine. (As modern diamonds are evaluated as “better”/more valuable when they are pristine.)

There is no one except DiaGem (who does not do commissioned recuts) who I’d trust to evaluate and possibly clean up a really nice antique cut like this.

This is a historic cut that will disappear when any modern gem cutter no matter how excellent, touches anything on it. Every gem cutter, like any artist, has a signature style. That style is passed on to the finished gem. A recut, or re-polish (which is actually a recut), will pass on another/modern cutter’s “signature”.

Someone will want it exactly as is. Or at least you should attempt to sell as is. This is just my romantic, impractical opinion.

PS one of my favorite diamonds on Pricescope is this one, which looks a lot like your diamond. I believe it’s an “antique cushion-like OEC” and they are rare.

Last edited:

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I have been dragging my heels since my divorce on selling my big chonky mine cut diamond. I was just looking at the GIA plot and realized that the SI1 grade was mostly from naturals, chips, and not from any internal inclusions. I started thinking if it would be worth it to repolish/cut to take out all the abrasions and then have it regraded at GIA for a higher clarity grading, or if it would just be easier to go ahead and sell it as is. 20220517_151612.jpg 20220517_151612.jpg 20230721_170123.jpg 20230721_170123.jpg 20230721_170115.jpg 20230721_170115.jpg

I tend to think the person that buys your stone is looking for the facet pattern and uniqueness rather than the clarity grade. It looks beautiful as -is (in my humble opinion). I think it would be worth a shot to it in its current condition rather than try to get a higher clarity rating.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Imho, the stone is already attractive as is. If you are not in a rush, I would consign it in the current condition.

This chart is for modern, round diamonds but I find as interesting data points.

For instance, at the 4.0-4.99 ctw range, there is less an a $200 price difference per carat between M/SI1 and M/VS1. For that per carat delta, it doesn't seem to make financial sense to insure, ship, recut and recert your stone.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
After reading all the thoughtful replied, I have decided I will not have it recut/polished. One of the first reasons I loved the diamond (other than the large size and chunky facets) was the trigons and other parts of the edge of the original diamond crystal that were discernible. It warms my heart to know that more people appreciate the older cuts and the history of a stone. I still remember when older cuts were not in high demand and frequently recut. So happy so many have a love and appreciation for jewelry and it's history. :)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
After reading all the thoughtful replied, I have decided I will not have it recut/polished. One of the first reasons I loved the diamond (other than the large size and chunky facets) was the trigons and other parts of the edge of the original diamond crystal that were discernible. It warms my heart to know that more people appreciate the older cuts and the history of a stone. I still remember when older cuts were not in high demand and frequently recut. So happy so many have a love and appreciation for jewelry and it's history. :)

LOTS of old cut fan on PS (myself included)!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

It’s such a stunning diamond. I’m glad you’re keeping her the same way! I have a large OMC with a similar plot chart and I had the same debate - to polish or not - and I decided no for the same reasons.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Also - have you thought about keeping it an making it a pendant or something that is for YOU? I totally get keeping it in your engagement ring may not be desired…it’s just such a beautiful diamond and I’m imagining it a collet setting with a chunky gold chain!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think an M color old cut of this size should not be recut before offering it for sale. There is needless risk involved and you will not 'make more money" by getting this done and paying retail for the work. Probably such a stone will not get recut. A few nicks and chips may get repaired, but keeping it large and getting it free of problems will be what generally get's done. Dealers know how to get this done at a reasonable cost and then know where to sell it.

Shop the ring around to various buyers. Look into auctions. Look into consignment. Get to the price the market will bring you and let it go if you want to get it sold.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
Also - have you thought about keeping it an making it a pendant or something that is for YOU? I totally get keeping it in your engagement ring may not be desired…it’s just such a beautiful diamond and I’m imagining it a collet setting with a chunky gold chain!!!

So actually it wasn't an engagement ring. Yeah I have a jewelry problem....

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Just stopping by to say how beautiful your ring is! And I second, or fourth, or fifth keeping her as is! Maybe reach out to Sako or Grace about a spa day to just clean her up a bit and possibly be your go between but leave her imperfections…. Cause she’s perfectly imperfect just the way she is :kiss2:

And you should post a video!!! I love old cuts, I cannot imagine owning anything but!

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so glad you’re keeping it as is!! I think this would make a baller pendant, maybe in a collet setting? Or a killer RHR? Or massive bangle?

FWIW, if you were selling this 2 years ago, I would’ve JUMPED on it when searching for my HG.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock

It’s gorgeous and I love that it has a history! Super curious what a stone like this, in such “well loved” condition goes for these days???

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
It’s gorgeous and I love that it has a history! Super curious what a stone like this, in such “well loved” condition goes for these days???

I can’t figure out how to dm you @Eclectic . Interested in more info if still available.

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
there is no way to DM on this forum.

Dr_Diesel

Shiny_Rock

Agree! Sako is the person to address this with. I can't think of anyone else I would trust with a job like that.

I think an M color old cut of this size should not be recut before offering it for sale. There is needless risk involved and you will not 'make more money" by getting this done and paying retail for the work. Probably such a stone will not get recut. A few nicks and chips may get repaired, but keeping it large and getting it free of problems will be what generally get's done. Dealers know how to get this done at a reasonable cost and then know where to sell it.

Shop the ring around to various buyers. Look into auctions. Look into consignment. Get to the price the market will bring you and let it go if you want to get it sold.

But ultimately I agree wit @oldminer here. I personally would not recut. I would leave that to the buyer's discretion.

LoveMunkie

Shiny_Rock
I’m going to say my opinion which is please do not inquire about a re-polish for this really wonderful historic diamond with anyone, no matter how experienced. A modern gem cutter will look at this stone’s polish and flea-bites and of course recomend that they work on it to make it “better“/ more sellable/pristine. (As modern diamonds are evaluated as “better”/more valuable when they are pristine.)

There is no one except DiaGem (who does not do commissioned recuts) who I’d trust to evaluate and possibly clean up a really nice antique cut like this.

This is a historic cut that will disappear when any modern gem cutter no matter how excellent, touches anything on it. Every gem cutter, like any artist, has a signature style. That style is passed on to the finished gem. A recut, or re-polish (which is actually a recut), will pass on another/modern cutter’s “signature”.

Someone will want it exactly as is. Or at least you should attempt to sell as is. This is just my romantic, impractical opinion.

PS one of my favorite diamonds on Pricescope is this one, which looks a lot like your diamond. I believe it’s an “antique cushion-like OEC” and they are rare.

This is the post/stone that started my obsession with old cut stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results