shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut OEC

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hi!

Has anyone ever been told to re-cut their OEC or have they ever done it? When I asked what the benefit would be I was told

it would be brighter.

When I asked what cut they would do they said a modern cut that would decrease the size a little but increase the value :???:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm new to diamonds but I thought the whole point of loving a OEC was because of the cut and pattern?

I have MRB and while I love them I really love the floral pattern of a OEC.

Just curious what people's thoughts are and if they've ever heard this before.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No no no! The only reason to recut an OEC is if it's damaged or extremely poorly cut. This person clearly doesn't understand or value the old cut market - OEC pricing rivals that of RB's now, and will continue to rise as rarity increases due to people continuing to be misled into recutting them. Soon your OEC will be worth more than the RB you'd be left with.

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
thanks EricaD! that's what I thought as well- was kind of floored when they suggested it. Was awhile ago, but was just thinking out loud lol

I would never do this to my diamond- it has a lot of emotional/ sentimental value for one and for another I LOVE the faceting on it- so it was never an option- just curious if people did this and why.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1443545389|3933177 said:
No no no! The only reason to recut an OEC is if it's damaged or extremely poorly cut. This person clearly doesn't understand or value the old cut market - OEC pricing rivals that of RB's now, and will continue to rise as rarity increases due to people continuing to be misled into recutting them. Soon your OEC will be worth more than the RB you'd be left with.

Great advice! Definitely leave it as is. :wavey:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unobuck19|1443544870|3933174 said:
Hi!

Has anyone ever been told to re-cut their OEC or have they ever done it? When I asked what the benefit would be I was told

it would be brighter.

When I asked what cut they would do they said a modern cut that would decrease the size a little but increase the value :???:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm new to diamonds but I thought the whole point of loving a OEC was because of the cut and pattern?

I have MRB and while I love them I really love the floral pattern of a OEC.

Just curious what people's thoughts are and if they've ever heard this before.

Unobuck19,

From a purely personal standpoint, I am curious how the conversation came about. The sentimental value of a diamond (or any piece of jewelry) can far outweigh the monetary value. Diamonds are most often associated with an emotional event (engagement, birthday, anniversary, etc...) and when jewelers advocate making decisions purely on a monetary basis I am always curious about context. Can you enlighten us?

Unobuck19

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamond Hawk- great question! Thanks for asking!

The ring/ diamond is actually my grandmas wedding set. hence the emotional/ sentimental part.

The diamond itself is old- and I am wanting to do a reset on the diamond. I went to the jeweler looking to have the wedding set unsoddered since I am wanting to only reset the main diamond.

when the jeweler looked at the diamond he made a passing comment of it's "yellowish" and then made a comment of "have you thought of recutting the stone."
I thought he was suggesting something was wrong with it i.e. a chip etc... which is unlikely since the rings are in fantastic shape and I had them looked over less than a month ago. I then asked what the advantage would be he said "it would brighten it" then I asked what type of cut. the jeweler said a round brilliant.
I then told the jeweler thanks, but no thanks. I love the faceting of the diamond and I love the color. Plus I love the story behind the diamond and the history.

So that's my story- I was just curious about if anyone else ever had this happen to them and their reactions.
For me, I would never recut the stone unless there was an obvious reason such as a large chip etc... but to me the diamond is priceless because of the sentimental value. I loved my grandma and grandpa very much and I miss them still immensely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results