shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut a round heirloom diamond

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
I have a >1 ct round heirloom diamond. Is Brian Gavin still the best person to go to for recuts? It seems like this stone could make a nice stud or even engagement ring for someone in the family someday if it's recut. It's a good size but I need to take a closer look later to make a guess on clarity and color.

_37930.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hate to see such beautiful piece to be dismantled and re-cut.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Hm...do you think so? It's not anyone (alive)'s style so the alternative is sitting sadly in a jewelry box. Is it even worth anything?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, please don't. That's a very lovely ring and beautiful diamond. Why spend money to shrink it in size and make it just like the 100,000 or more smallish diamonds around? If someone in the family wants a modern cut brilliant in a new setting, it would be more cost effective to sell that ring as is and use the proceeds to buy the new ring. In my opinion, once a diamond has been removed and recut and the original setting scrapped, it isn't really a "family heirloom ring" anymore anyway.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
You guys really think so? How much do you even think it would sell for? My impression was that settings are worth almost nothing.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light performance is important. But you also need to see a jewelry as a whole.
It belongs to your family. It has history and story.

I am not just being emotional. It is very unique and beautiful, regardless of the cut quality of the diamond. I mean it. I like the prongs and milgrain work.

If it really sits in the jewelry box and noone in your family wears it... then re-cutting is an option. But if I had a piece like that from my family member, I would not alter it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not an old cut. It needs a recut. And yes, I would use BGD for MRBs.

I am not sentimental however. And I think the setting would look great reset with a colored stone that fits it, affordably.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, it needs a recut. You can reuse the setting if you like or sell and let someone else enjoy.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the center stone is underperforming - a lot - and would benefit from a re-cut. it could make a lovely ring or a beautiful pendant. The setting doesn't appeal to me - to my eye it's very dated without having a vintage feel - but if you can find someone in your family who likes this style of ring, it might make a nice gift and they could insert the center stone of their choice. As it is, however, it's a potentially nice stone just waiting to shine.

I had a stone recut with BGD; best thing I could have done with the stone in question. Size is all well and good, but if it's not sparkling like a diamond should, you're not getting the value from it that you could. (I have a horrible feeling that sort of rhymes. Oh good...) :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recut it. Put a colored stone in the setting so it might get worn more and let someone use the diamond.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone! I think I will be pursuing this. BG said the stone needs to be appraised/insured prior to sending it in so getting that done is the first step. I hope the appraisal doesn't cost too much.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good decision! Pls come back with some 'after shots' when it's been done. :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlguineapig|1475170790|4082045 said:
Thanks everyone! I think I will be pursuing this. BG said the stone needs to be appraised/insured prior to sending it in so getting that done is the first step. I hope the appraisal doesn't cost too much.

I would have the stone removed from its setting before you get it appraised so they can get accurate measurements.
The depth could have an impact on whether it is worth re-cutting.

junhox212

Rough_Rock
How much carat weight is lost and how much money does it cost approximately to have one recur? Just curious

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junhox212|1475186430|4082180 said:
How much carat weight is lost and how much money does it cost approximately to have one recur? Just curious

Generally, steep and deep stones are good re-cut candidates; recut can be done without losing much spread.

However, for shallow stones, carat and spread loss can be significant.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-recut-analysis-what-would-you-do.219187/#post-3981313?hilit=recut#p3981313']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bgd-recut-analysis-what-would-you-do.219187/#post-3981313?hilit=recut#p3981313[/URL]

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
$350 per carat with a minimum of $350, plus shipping, certification costs ($150?), and I guess initial appraisal/insurance. From looking around, maybe 10 to 20% carat weight would be lost? But a lot of times the face up diameter doesn't change much because the initial stones are deep.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Alrighty, time for some fun. :) Here are some photos of all the stones I have together. The four from this family member are the yellow gold ring, the heart, and the two studs.

It looks like the round diamond is yellower than the other ones I have. But the gold setting could be affecting it? Face up it looks pretty good. Size-wise, it seems a tad bit larger than my 1.05 ct AVR.

I have no idea what color the studs are. I would guess they are about 0.6 ct each.

In the next post will be the ASETs I took.

all_together_3.jpg

all_together.jpg

all_together_2.jpg

all_rings_face_down.jpg

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
These ASETs weren't perfectly photographed by I think you can get a decent idea of each stone.

round_aset.jpg

heart_aset.jpg

stud_1_aset.jpg

stud_2_aset.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to the recut! Us "oldies" all vote yes. It isn't an antique or vintage piece.. just an outdated, poorly cut modern brilliant. Many PSers have had their parents' hand me downs from the 70-90s like these. They STILL cut diamonds like these. Bleh! BGD can make Cinderella beautiful again!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YES!

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
I’m back! It’s been a long process. I initially contacted Brian Gavin in September, got the appraisal for the stones in October, got the SARIN reports in November (their machine was broken) and paid for the recut, and got photos for the results today. The next step is to get the new SARIN reports and send the stones off to AGS for grading.

The stones were all super shallow so I lost a lot of carat weight. But, I am biased toward ideal light performance as opposed to being value conscious, and selling wasn’t an option because of the sentimental value. I told the team to maximize cut and I think they did an amazing job.

First, the initial SARIN reports with *predicted* final proportions.

**Files removed to protect privacy, please re upload without names on them**

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Next, analysis and photos from the appraiser.

screen_shot_2017-01-16_at_6.png

screen_shot_2017-01-16_at_0.png

screen_shot_2017-01-16_at_1.png

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Result images for diamond #1, the smallest one (looks like the SI1 diamond).

1-aset.jpg

1-di.jpg

1-heart.jpg

1-ideal.jpg

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Result images for diamond #2, also around a half carat now probably.

2-aset.jpg

2-di.jpg

2-heart.jpg

2-ideal.jpg

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Result images for diamond #3, the biggest and highest clarity diamond.

3-aset.jpg

3-di.jpg

3-heart.jpg

3-ideal.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh, I can't wait to see them in person!!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
girlguineapig|1484619640|4115867 said:
Result images for diamond #3, the biggest and highest clarity diamond.

Oh- nice recut!!! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

(Wow- I just red the pre recut specs. Did they really have 60-something % tables and <60% depth? Nice call on going for the recuts!)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You may want to edit the sarin reports because they have your name on them FYI.

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
@liaerfbv: Yeah I noticed that but wasn't too concerned since I don't post anything on here that I wouldn't want connected to real life, and my name is very common. But if an admin would give me edit rights to that post, I could edit the images.

@bunnycat: Yes, they were super shallow! It's a bit sad to lose all the carat weight after the recuts, but I didn't like the way they looked so I'm going to be so happy to have the new versions in my paws. :D

Right now I am thinking 1.04 ctw 4 prong basket studs and a bunny ear pendant for the larger (0.78 ct) stone. BGD is having a 10% off sale right now which is great timing for me. :)

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-earrings/studs/four-prong-basket-earring-14k-white-gold-5382w14
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-pendants/4-prong-pendant-14k-white-gold-5481w14

BGD sent me "before" images so here are before and afters. They are SO different from before. They sent them out to AGS today and I'm excited to get the grades back, hopefully within a week.

1-aset_before__amp__after.png

1-di_before__amp__after.png

1-ha_before__amp__after.png

1-id_before__amp__after.png

girlguineapig

Shiny_Rock
Diamond #2 befores & afters

2-aset_before__amp__after.png

2-di_before__amp__after.png

2-ha_before__amp__after.png

2-id_before__amp__after.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results