shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD recut analysis.... what would you do?!

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My mom has a beautiful wedding ring that while she has always loved, she has always felt that it didn't sparkle as much as other peoples diamonds. I knew it wasn't a great cut.... but I didn't know just how bad it was! Due to having hand surgery she has been unable to wear it for the past few weeks so I thought it would be a great opportunity to get it recut.

We just got the analysis back from BGD and sure enough, its a bad cut but it will loose a lot of weight if we were to go ahead and get it done. It has a starting weight 1.926 ct and projected finished weight of 1.519 ct. It currently has a diameter of 7.9-8.12 and I think it will go down to 7.5

I would love to hear peoples opinions on what we should do! It's hard for me to decide as it's my moms ring!

8200_pre_recut_ids.jpg

5908_pre_recut_aset.jpg

6129_pre_recut_sarin.jpg

5712_pre_recut_hearts.jpg

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And the last few attachments including the estimated result.

1263_pre_recut_arrows.jpg

9028_est_recut_sarin.jpg

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
If I was planning on keeping the stone (not selling at some point), I'd absolutely get it recut. That's not a very noticeable diameter loss (yes, a loss in carats but you don't see carats, you see diameter) and the brightness she'll gain will most likely makeup for the smaller size. It'll be so much brighter, the stone will appear bigger. Plus, it sounds as though the stone will remain above the 1.5 carat mark, which is great if she does sell at some point.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
maccers|1453743973|3981208 said:
If I was planning on keeping the stone (not selling at some point), I'd absolutely get it recut. That's not a very noticeable diameter loss (yes, a loss in carats but you don't see carats, you see diameter) and the brightness she'll gain will most likely makeup for the smaller size. It'll be so much brighter, the stone will appear bigger. Plus, it sounds as though the stone will remain above the 1.5 carat mark, which is great if she does sell at some point.

Thank you for your input Maccers. I don't think she will ever sell the diamond. She got it for her 20th anniversary and they just celebrated their 40th. I just know she is very nervous about this. I even had to go with her to mail it to BGD as it was so hard for her to see her ring go away!

ssgg

Rough_Rock
Look, the decision is very simply. ITS UP TO YOUR MOM.

Why? After recuting it will not be the same diamond that she has cherished for 20 years.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
ssgg|1453745340|3981231 said:

Why? After recutting it will not be the same diamond that she has cherished for 20 years.

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. It doesn't matter how logicial we are or how beautiful the diamond will look. If your mom has loved this ring for TWENTY YEARS she may have an adverse reaction to losing some of that diamond, and you can't get that bit back after it's been re-cut! You can explain to her how much more the ring would sparkle, but also be completely clear that it will lose a tiny bit of size but that it will look really nice. If she isn't 100% on board with the process, I'd recommend against it, as good as it would be for the stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it will be the same diamond! It will just be a gorgeous diamond instead of a "meh" diamond!

I had a diamond from my mother which was as badly or probably worse cut, and I had BG recut it. It was only 1 ct and went down to .80. But it is 100 times prettier than it was before!

Obviously this is your mother's decision. But I will tell you I think making a cherished stone more beautiful and a nicer heirloom is well worth the small cost of recutting! My thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/details-on-a-diamond-re-cut.160957/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/details-on-a-diamond-re-cut.160957/[/URL]

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Why? After recuting it will not be the same diamond that she has cherished for 20 years.

I totally agree that it is up to her! But she is also asking for my (and your) advice as she is a total diamond novice. She asked me to post and see what others would do in the same circumstances. I am waiting to hear back from BGD if the diamond would still fit in her current setting as I that is important to her.

I have heard her say multiple times that her diamond never sparkles well and she has even been embarrassed to show it to jewelers. She had a jeweler offer to clean it as it must have been dirty... only to find that it was very clean, just didn't sparkle like it! :lol:

I guess it's a question of just how bad is it currently and is it worth the trade-off in effort, time and size. I mean, obviously the symmetry is terrible....

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1453745902|3981236 said:
Yes it will be the same diamond! It will just be a gorgeous diamond instead of a "meh" diamond!

I had a diamond from my mother which was as badly or probably worse cut, and I had BG recut it. It was only 1 ct and went down to .80. But it is 100 times prettier than it was before!

Obviously this is your mother's decision. But I will tell you I think making a cherished stone more beautiful and a nicer heirloom is well worth the small cost of recutting! My thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/details-on-a-diamond-re-cut.160957/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/details-on-a-diamond-re-cut.160957/[/URL]

Thank you DS for your reply, I value you opinion immensely!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
kemurphy|1453746119|3981238 said:

I totally agree that it is up to her! But she is also asking for my (and your) advice as she is a total diamond novice. She asked me to post and see what others would do in the same circumstances. I am waiting to hear back from BGD if the diamond would still fit in her current setting as I that is important to her.

I have heard her say multiple times that her diamond never sparkles well and she has even been embarrassed to show it to jewelers. She had a jeweler offer to clean it as it must have been dirty... only to find that it was very clean, just didn't sparkle like it! :lol:

I guess it's a question of just how bad is it currently and is it worth the trade-off in effort, time and size. I mean, obviously the symmetry is terrible....

Alright well if your mom wants to know what others would do, I'll amend my earlier comment a bit. I would recut it, especially if she is embarrassed to show it off! It will really look fantastic afterward so long as she is okay with losing a tiny bit. As a previous poster mentioned, you won't be losing toooo much diameter.

ssgg

Rough_Rock
may I ask how much does it cost around to have it recut?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you're asking what WE would do ...

I'd get it recut.
Yes, absolutely.
100%.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ssgg|1453746860|3981249 said:
may I ask how much does it cost around to have it recut?
350 per ct, plus return shipping and AGS certification. I think that's actually pretty amazing as I would imagine it's tough to recut a poorly cut diamond!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, I would have it recut to make it sparkly so that I would be happy and proud to wear it everywhere everyday.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she wants other people's opinions I'd say get it recut. It like the difference between a dirty window that gets cleaned. It's like wow what a difference.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she's "always known it didn't sparkle like other peoples diamonds" then she seems to have always had a problem with it.

If that's the case I'd absolutely do it.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for a recut. If it's embarrassing to show to jewelers, that would bother me. I think it's also a very special story to add on to the family history with the stone--that her daughter helped her get it recut to sparkle even more. It's very sweet of you to help with this project.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! Keep the opinions coming, I just sent her this thread so she could see what others would do in the same situation.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1453748421|3981268 said:
Another vote for a recut. If it's embarrassing to show to jewelers, that would bother me. I think it's also a very special story to add on to the family history with the stone--that her daughter helped her get it recut to sparkle even more. It's very sweet of you to help with this project.

Thank you rubybeth. That is such a sweet thing to say! I do just want her to be happy and love her diamond, as much as me and my Dad love her!

ssgg

Rough_Rock
kemurphy|1453747472|3981256 said:
350 per ct, plus return shipping and AGS certification. I think that's actually pretty amazing as I would imagine it's tough to recut a poorly cut diamond!

that's pretty amazing. especially after seeing diamondseeker2006 thread on her recut diamond.

I always thought that it would cost more since BGD seems to be very good at their job!!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kemurphy|1453748512|3981271 said:
... I just sent her this thread so she could see what others would do in the same situation.

That's a very good idea.
It's best when we get lots of varying opinions, each supported by its own reasoning.

After reading all this she may decide to not recut it.
So be it.

The nice thing about that decision is she's also free to change her mind any time she wants.
With a recut you can't go back.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would rather have a smaller stone that is full of life than a larger one that is dull and lifeless - and 1.5 carats isn't small by any means! Sounds like she has been unhappy with that aspect of the stone ever since she has had it - it is time to enjoy her ring!

Best of luck on the decision - I totally understand the dilemma but would want that stone to shine in all its potential glory!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will still be the same diamond, just sparklier! I feel like it's a face lift/botox for diamonds. Except it will look beautiful forever! I 100% understand she cherishes it and the memory, but if she doesn't find joy in wearing it or is embarrassed I think a recut would be wonderful. She won't be able to stop herself from showing it off to everyone after :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still the same diamond ... well ... most of it. ;-)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have it recut. Seventy-nine percent of her old stone will give her 179% more pleasure. So yah.

In fact, I have a stone of my own I'm considering recutting. How much is the "analysis"? And if you're just over the carat mark, do they charge you up to the next carat? Or prorate? And presumably the charge is on the rough weight or finished. And. Do you tell them whether you prefer tolk ideal or bic or fic or do they just figure on the least loss of rough?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not recut.

It looks like alot of "shaving" is to be done on the table to give a steeper crown angle. That's too much carat weight and spread loss. The diamond has some leakage under the table, and there are some less bright areas around the edge. Nonetheless, the diamond still gives very good bright light return with amazing spread. That's just how it behaves.

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ringo865|1453751806|3981305 said:
I would have it recut. Seventy-nine percent of her old stone will give her 179% more pleasure. So yah.

In fact, I have a stone of my own I'm considering recutting. How much is the "analysis"? And if you're just over the carat mark, do they charge you up to the next carat? Or prorate? And presumably the charge is on the rough weight or finished. And. Do you tell them whether you prefer tolk ideal or bic or fic or do they just figure on the least loss of rough?

The analysis was free. We contacted them, shipped the stone ourselves using usps registered and paid the cost of return shipping using their UPS account. We didn't specify what cut flavor we prefer, I think he assumes you don't want to loose too much of the original. I'm not sure if they prorate.... Ours is 1.9 right now so it would be 700 to go ahead with the recut. I think they is a pretty amazing deal in the end of we go ahead with it. I haven't spoken with my mom since half way through this thread but it is what I would recommend! We shall see!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd get it cut - if every time she looks at it now she's aware that it doesn't sparkle as much as it should and she's embarrassed by it, that's really sad for a diamond that's her anniversary upgrade. She deserves to have a sparkly beautiful diamond that gives her a thrill every time she looks at it or has other people look at it.
And even tho she'll lose a chunk of weight, the diameter loss isn't much and would surely be made up for by the increase in brightness and sparkle.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the decision process and keep us all posted on what you decide to do!!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I would recut!

What does her current setting look like? If she is worried about loosing some of the spread could she halo the stone?

Just a thought

Good luck
:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results