shape
carat
color
clarity

Rectangular cushion pendant? (sapphire)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2006 10:50:24 PM
Author: stermag

I have certainly become quite suspicious of any pictures in which some facets of any given stone appear completely white.

And the converse... a dark stone with plenty of back lighting appeared cute (in the picture from The Natural Sapphire Company).

Isn''t the white flash glare?

Anyway, I am less confident than that guessing what the conditions in which the gems are photographed are each time. IMO, the chance to reject goods and favor bads by any rule of thumb is far too great, and there are not that many sapphires of fine color around to afford misses
7.gif

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Definitely a photoshop job. You can tell by looking at the background of the picture. Gems are super-difficult to photograph. You can''t blame them for needing to do some photoshop on a near $1k gem. Pictures need to be adjusted for white-balance typically anyway. It just looks like whomever editted that one cranked up the saturation and the lightness. That thing is glowing. I''d expect to use a gem like that as a nightlight.

Another common problem is monitor screen differences. I have 3 screens at home, and they all show color differently. Granted, that stone will look an incredible blue in each picture.

My vote for you is to go with the heated stone. It is really much more rare to have a stone cut by him, than to have an unheated stone cut by a laborer. Take that into account. Plus, I''m sure most of the unheated stuff you''ll find is a bit sleepy. That other stone will sing to you.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Well, Photoshop or not, the stone doesn''t match the photo as well as I hoped. I did see it in strong daylight finally yesterday and it''s beautiful, but it really requires a strong light source to be at its best.

Sadly, we''ve decided to return it. But I have a couple of other prospects from WildFish and am constantly on the lookout. I''ve also not ruled out the concave cut heated stone from R. Homer.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Colorchange mentioned a good point on another thread -- and it seemed appropriate here too -- just because the grading report says there is no indication of heating, doesn''t mean it wasn''t heated. In Sri Lanka most sapphires are heated. However, you may put a premium on it if there is no evidence of the heating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results