color
clarity

Recommendation

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Can someone provide some recommendations for the following specs:

1.15 to 1.20 ct
diamond will be in a halo Setting (platinum)
Round Diamond
Leaning towards an eye clean SI 2 or 1

Any links to online retailers would be awesome! I'm too overwhelmed by the different specs out there...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

gnc01

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1455550632|3991280 said:

Thank you for the links... For the diamond alone I'm looking to be around $4500 to 5000 USD... I also noticed on those links that the colour is not what I typically search for... I suppose it is not that important versus the other specs?

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color do you typically search for?

gnc01

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1455583874|3991421 said:
What color do you typically search for?

Usually G

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Consider expanding to H.

And do not go below SI1 clarity.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
gnc01|1455551218|3991283 said:
diamondseeker2006|1455550632|3991280 said:
Okay, here's a variety. I do not like SI2's because you can't tell whether their inclusions might hamper light performance and sometimes the eyeclean factor is a problem. I always recommend SI1 or higher for an engagement ring even if it means going smaller in a stone. It would help to know your budget, though.

Thank you for the links... For the diamond alone I'm looking to be around $4500 to 5000 USD... I also noticed on those links that the colour is not what I typically search for... I suppose it is not that important versus the other specs?

Hi diamondseeker2006 & gypsy :wavey: - just a comment if you're interested in some general info about more localised markets (based on your comments above about SI2s and H colour) - - the Australian market loves G+SI1-2+ goods, so allot of vendors (full disclosure - like me) tend to pick the eyes out of the top top SI2s first when buying as we know that the market is very strong here.
To the OP, I've got no idea where you're from, but keep in mind that there are some really schmick eye-clean SI2+ stones floating around out there if that is what you really want...you might just have to search and be a bit selective with your vendor to make sure it is what it is.
So like diamondseeker2006 said, make sure that you get assurances that the inclusions aren't affecting the stone. But like they've both recommended, if buying sight unseen, you probably should stick with SI1+ clarity.
Gypsy also makes a good point about colour - - if you’re looking at a G normally, and you can find a top end H, you’ll save a bit of money, while not likely noticing any difference in face-up colour.
Good luck with your search...but with these two on the case, I’m sure you’ll end up with a crack’n stone ;-)

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. Is it easy to tell the colour difference between a f vs a g or h diamond when placed in the setting? Should the halo diamonds have the same colour diamonds as well?

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
gnc01|1455624429|3991564 said:
Thanks for the info. Is it easy to tell the colour difference between a f vs a g or h diamond when placed in the setting? Should the halo diamonds have the same colour diamonds as well?

Usually telling the difference between 1 colour grade is difficult for an untrained eye (and some 'trained' eyes ;-) )...especially face-up in a setting. Generally, anything G+ is going to be very difficult to see any colour in - for an H...ehh...really depends on you and your tolerance for a tiny bit of colour...but it's usually going to still be a very nice/bright/white stone.
With the halo diamonds, they should be +/- the same as the centre, as you don't want to have a glaringly obvious colour difference. Unless you ask for a specific colour (i.e. you want only E colour smalls to match your E centre exactly), smalls are parcelled together in a bit of a like-with-like range - for example FG VS+ or HI SI1-2 (which if fine and completely normal) - - so for example, if you went with an F colour centre, you would make sure the ring is set with E-G smalls - - - or if you had an I colour centre, you'd want H-J coloured smalls...make sense? So while you want the same range of colours for the smalls, there is a little bit of play...just make sure that if you get an E coloured VS1 stone that the jeweller doesn't set the rest of the ring from their HI I1 smalls parcel...believe it or not...it does on occasion happen... :roll: :)
Hope this helps

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses so far... I'm going to go search for some and post what I find to get some opinions.

Just to confirm, going colourless D-F isn't recommended? I've seen the difference when comparing them side by side. But, I'm sure in the setting a G will likely look the same?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gnc01|1455669553|3991825 said:
Thanks for all the responses so far... I'm going to go search for some and post what I find to get some opinions.

Just to confirm, going colourless D-F isn't recommended? I've seen the difference when comparing them side by side. But, I'm sure in the setting a G will likely look the same?
If you prefer a colorless stone go for it!.. ;)) I am in the G/H camp, but if I had a big budget I'd go for an F colored stone.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
gnc01|1455669553|3991825 said:

I would 'recommend' you go with what you want :) - - G is fine for most people...but if you think a G is showing too much colour for your taste, that's perfectly fine...there is no right or wrong...only what you like/want from your diamond.
Some will say that they wouldn't recommend it, and that they don't like paying for higher F+ colour or VVS+ clarity because they can't justify the extra spend based on what they can't see, or what is returned in the look of the diamond/ring. However, many people are happy to know that they have purchased the 'best' to meet their personal requirements/preferences.
The members here on PS can guide you in making a good purchase, but it's up to you to determine what characteristics in a diamond are suitable for you personally.
Good luck

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Full disclosure - I can't comment on specific stones posted on the forum because I'm in the trade and sell diamonds/jewellery.
But keep in mind these general tips when dealing with SI clarity:
- You want to make sure it's eye-clean - - there are varying definitions of this, but basically if you can't see anything in the stone without magnification at a normal viewing distance, then it should be fine.
- Look for light coloured or colourless inclusions that are wispy or scattered throughout the stone, & stay away from big solid black inclusions as these are usually much easier to see with the naked eye.
- Position of inclusions - if you can find a stone where the main inclusion is right on the girdle, you might be able to cover it with a claw...instant VS clarity once set ;-) - - also, if you can find something where the main inclusions are not right under the table, there's a better chance they'll get lost in the sparkle of the stone - directly under the table are much easier to see.
- Surface reaching (or open) inclusions are undesirable.
- Watch out for any inclusions that may represent a durability issue (pretty rare in SI goods, but worth being aware of)
Hope this helps

gnc01

Rough_Rock
ADN|1455673611|3991858 said:
Full disclosure - I can't comment on specific stones posted on the forum because I'm in the trade and sell diamonds/jewellery.
But keep in mind these general tips when dealing with SI clarity:
- You want to make sure it's eye-clean - - there are varying definitions of this, but basically if you can't see anything in the stone without magnification at a normal viewing distance, then it should be fine.
- Look for light coloured or colourless inclusions that are wispy or scattered throughout the stone, & stay away from big solid black inclusions as these are usually much easier to see with the naked eye.
- Position of inclusions - if you can find a stone where the main inclusion is right on the girdle, you might be able to cover it with a claw...instant VS clarity once set ;-) - - also, if you can find something where the main inclusions are not right under the table, there's a better chance they'll get lost in the sparkle of the stone - directly under the table are much easier to see.
- Surface reaching (or open) inclusions are undesirable.
- Watch out for any inclusions that may represent a durability issue (pretty rare in SI goods, but worth being aware of)
Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips! Really appreciated.

gnc01

Rough_Rock
Ok been doing some more research... here is what I am searching for:

1.3 to 1.4 ct
G colour
SI 1 or 2
excellent cut, symmetry, and polish
Fluorescence - none to faint

Can someone help post some decent diamonds for the above and what a fair price should be? it will be set in a platinum or 18k white gold halo setting. the halo diamonds will be F coloured VS2, excellent cut.

Is the VS2 halo diamonds ok to match with a SI 1/2 center stone?

As an example I found this:
http://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond-details/LD06041316

Not withstanding the twinning wisp, the HCA tool gives it a score of 0.7

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results