shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommendation for star-shaped diamond necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
I stumbled upon this site and apologize for not having the time to thoroughly do any homework before asking for assistance.

I am looking for a diamond necklace and I want to make sure it is good quality and not over-priced garbage. Can anyone suggest some places that would fit this description?

I am looking for a star shaped necklace. The price under $2000-$2500

I have found a couple on the Shane Co website but the thread that brought me to this website also described how similar stores are not a good place for quality:

http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=30964&PageLevelID=1426&fromPage=

http://www.shaneco.com/catalog/productdetail.asp?ProductID=29885&PageLevelID=1426&fromPage=

Thank you,

Michael

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried on the star pendants at Shane Co and found them to be quite nice. I don''t have any complaints about thier quality or service.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Slightly different, but are you necessarily looking for a 5-pointed star? H. Stern has a gorgeous line of 8-pointed stars that might be worth looking into ... the design and quality are fabulous, though I''m afraid I have no idea as to the prices.

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Here is the dilemma. The star is something that has special meaning. I wanted to give a gift of a star-shaped diamond necklace. However, in my research I have made disappointing observation.

The linked example from The Shane Co. was along the line of something I was thinking of. If the quality from The Shane Co. is acceptable there is another problem to consider. I want the gift to look like it is worth what it cost or more. I'd pay $920 or even as much as $2000yet I found a similar looking necklace for much less.

I realize these are small jpeg images but I don't see much difference between what sells for $920 and what sells for $150. I don't see enough worth investing with the chance it would be mistaken as a $150 necklace unless I included the price tag or receipt.

If I can't find anything with the star theme that looks substantially better than what cost significantly less I may just go with standard teardrop earrings. Any suggestions?

Note: The size of each star as shown is not accurately relative in scale to the other necklaces.

Stars00000.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d much rather have one from Tiffany if it has special meaning and you want it to be really nice.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2008 11:17:07 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d much rather have one from Tiffany if it has special meaning and you want it to be really nice.
HI:

DS said what I would have.....................

cheers--Sharon

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thritto on the Tiffany choice

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2008 11:40:00 AM
Author: LegacyGirl
Thritto on the Tiffany choice
Quadritto!

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments.

The Tiffany name and reputation seems to go a long way. If I stick with the star theme I will give the $2600 Tiffany necklace.

Before these new posts came in I started looking in a different direction. The star theme could be set aside in lieu of assurance that this will be perceived for the significance that it is to convey. I could give her a diamond solitaire necklace however quality pushes this beyond my budget very quickly. I would not want the diamond to be too small even if it was high quality.

Obviously a high quality large diamond solitaire necklace will trump the Tiffany star necklace. Even though the star has a little history with this woman the star theme is not that important. "Special" is really the message not "star."

Given the same budget of $2600 I would be interested in hearing which is preferred: A diamond solitaire necklace or the Tiffany star necklace?

Thanks again,

Michael

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the solitaire....you could get a nice size and clarity with that budget :)

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 2:45:15 PM
Author: /Michael\

Thank you all for your comments.

The Tiffany name and reputation seems to go a long way. If I stick with the star theme I will give the $2600 Tiffany necklace.

Before these new posts came in I started looking in a different direction. The star theme could be set aside in lieu of assurance that this will be perceived for the significance that it is to convey. I could give her a diamond solitaire necklace however quality pushes this beyond my budget very quickly. I would not want the diamond to be too small even if it was high quality.

Obviously a high quality large diamond solitaire necklace will trump the Tiffany star necklace. Even though the star has a little history with this woman the star theme is not that important. ''Special'' is really the message not ''star.''

Given the same budget of $2600 I would be interested in hearing which is preferred: A diamond solitaire necklace or the Tiffany star necklace?

Thanks again,

Michael

I could get this Tiffany necklace with the earrings or do some research and aim for the highest quality solitaire necklace.
<a

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d have to agree that if you go in the direction of a solitaire pendant, you can get equivalent or better quality diamonds by going with one of the vendors such as WhiteFlash. I still think you could give her the Roberto Coin little star pendant sometime if that has special meaning, because it is better quality more than likely than all but the Tiffany ones.

However, if someone asked me if I wanted a solitaire pendant or a star pendant, I wouldn''t even have to think about it. I''d much rather have the solitaire pendant.

You can go with the ready-set-go kind or we could help you pick out an individual stone and setting. But the ready-set-go ones are great quality at a very competitive price.

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Somehow I can appreciate this from a receiving end even though I am a man and giving this gift. When I was discouraged at the star pendant prospects and began looking for alternatives I also considered a solitaire superior regardless of any special meaning the star carried with it.

I would like to investigate the option of selecting a stone and setting. If that does not work out I will go with a ready-set-go version. So if anyone would like to assist in the process I will be greatly thankful.

What shapes are preferred?

Which setting style?

Of course the real area for assistance is with all of the technical assessing of stone quality.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the most classic shape would be the round brilliant. I personally would prefer an oval, but I''m kind of weird. The second most popular shape would probably be the princess.

The question I have is how much time do you have before you want to give her this gift??

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/25/2008 1:53:20 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I think the most classic shape would be the round brilliant. I personally would prefer an oval, but I''m kind of weird. The second most popular shape would probably be the princess.

The question I have is how much time do you have before you want to give her this gift??

I like the look of the oval shape as well. It seems more elegant. I also have considered the round and a heart. I am leaning towards the round or heart.

I need this for the 2nd week of June.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Don''t go for the heart shape unless you know she loves it. It''s seen around here as sort of juvenile and not very appealing...just a thought!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the round -- I always see arrows in a round as looking like a star - then the stone carries the original sentiment :)

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Looks like it will be a round.

Is there a difference in the way the diamond catches light when it is mounted in a basket vs. a martini setting? I think the martini looks better judging from the pictures. The basket looks rather large and distracting but the two images are not really ideal for comparing. The shots are from different angles so a martini could be just as visible and an irrelevant issue.

I'd like to go with the .75ct basket and include a 1/2ct set of earrings. My budget would not allow this in the martini setting. I would be exceeding it as it is.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think the round is the best choice and I like the 4 prong basket the best. I think martini is fine for earrings, but I don''t think it looks as good for a pendant.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree go with the basket.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a RB solitaire over a star shaped pendant. I had a star shaped ruby pendant very much like the star shaped you are looking at and I was always stabing myself with it when I wore it. I eventually sold it because of that. And I love stars.

/Michael\

Rough_Rock
Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I have decided to go with this set:

Michael

WF_Diamond_Set.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice! They look lovely.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a classic and elegant choice! I think you made a great decision!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay!! I like them! Totally classic and perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results