shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend me a nice cushion brilliant for under $1500

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
The search is giving me headache, lol. So I''m asking for opinions from cushion-loving PScopers.
My requirements:-

Cut : EX / VG
Carat: > 0.60 ct
Color : K or higher
Clarity: SI or higher
Cost: $1500 or lower
Polish: EX/VG
Symmetry: EX/VG
L/W Ratio : 1.0 -1.25

Thanks, guys!
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... I can''t find seem to find cushions for my budget at GoG nor ERD. Perhaps they stock higher end stuff?

Geoffrey, thanks for those selection from JA. I like the overall presentation of the I/SI, H/SI even the J/VS2 with the smaller table. Which one would you pick?

Would a pave setting crowd out this smaller center stone?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:55:46 AM
Author: DiamondFlame
Hmm... I can't find seem to find cushions for my budget at GoG nor ERD. Perhaps they stock higher end stuff?

Call Mark @ ERD. He has access to much much more than what is on the website.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a pave shank would be pretty as long as the pave is small.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock

Geoffrey, thanks for those selection from JA. I like the overall presentation of the I/SI, H/SI even the J/VS2 with the smaller table. Which one would you pick?

As far as which one I'd pick, that's a tough question! It's a balance between clarity/color.
The 0.7 I SI1 looks nice and should have good sparkle but is lower on the color range.
The 0.71 H SI1 does show some inclusions but they shouldn't be visible to the naked eye. This one also has strong fluorescence
The 0.7 J VS2 is the least expensive and best clarity grade but you're sacrificing color.

Either of these should be a fine pick. I believe JA has a trade up policy that's really good also, just for an option down the road

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 11:04:34 AM
Author: geoffreysnow

As far as which one I''d pick, that''s a tough question! It''s a balance between clarity/color.

The 0.7 I SI1 looks nice and should have good sparkle but is lower on the color range.

The 0.71 H SI1 does show some inclusions but they shouldn''t be visible to the naked eye. This one also has strong fluorescence

The 0.7 J VS2 is the least expensive and best clarity grade but you''re sacrificing color.

Either of these should be a fine pick. I believe JA has a trade up policy that''s really good also, just for an option down the road

Geoffrey, I don''t mean to be rude, but what makes you think these stones will be good performers? Just a pictures doesn''t tell you anything about light leakage and to *me* some of these stones are pretty off kilter with regards to cutting...

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Geoffrey for the extra options. I do love the antique styles.

Neatfreak, you raised a good question. How do you judge light leakage in a cushion? Without other info / diagrams / light study how do you make sure when buying online that you get a cushion with good light performance?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 12:02:52 PM
Thanks, Geoffrey for the extra options. I do love the antique styles.

Neatfreak, you raised a good question. How do you judge light leakage in a cushion? Without other info / diagrams / light study how do you make sure when buying online that you get a cushion with good light performance?
You can''t. That is why images such as ASET particularly, Idealscope and detailed photos are so important, plus a skilled vendor to advise you. Otherwise you are buying blind and have no way of knowing what you have until you open the box....

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch. This is giving me more headaches, lol. I bet some online vendors must be grumbling at PScopers who keep asking for ASET or IS images. But hey, if I''m gonna spend hard-earned money, I gotta make sure I don''t end up with an overpriced lemon, right?

I don''t live in the United States so returning diamonds could pose a problem. I don''t mean to offend anyone but is there any vendor here whose recommendation (particularly on lower end CUSHIONS) I can absolutely trust? Someone with a sterling reputation who wouldn''t even think of giving Pricescopers ''dodgy'' deals?
31.gif

I''ll start umm ''bugging'' the 2 names I''ve got so far...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark at Engagementringsdirect.com is the person you need to speak to.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 1:15:20 PM
Ouch. This is giving me more headaches, lol. I bet some online vendors must be grumbling at PScopers who keep asking for ASET or IS images. But hey, if I''m gonna spend hard-earned money, I gotta make sure I don''t end up with an overpriced lemon, right?

I don''t live in the United States so returning diamonds could pose a problem. I don''t mean to offend anyone but is there any vendor here whose recommendation (particularly on lower end CUSHIONS) I can absolutely trust? Someone with a sterling reputation who wouldn''t even think of giving Pricescopers ''dodgy'' deals?
31.gif

I''ll start umm ''bugging'' the 2 names I''ve got so far...
Sorry! But it really is the only way if you want to buy a good looking cushion. Also all of the PS vendors are reputable so no worries there. Mark from ERD is considered to be the go to guy for cushions, but some of the other vendors who have in house diamonds might be able to help you also.

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Good Old Gold has a very sweet looking .76 that might work for you. I think it is one of their prototype cushions cut specifically to their standards - old world chunky looks with great optics. Here is a link to some vid on the stone:

http://www.vimeo.com/3313233

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 1:21:25 PM
Author: Maisie
Here are some very happy customers..

There are loads more. If you put ERD in the search on the top right you will see them.
I''m one more of those extremely hapy customers! I flew all the way to NYC to meet with Jon at GOG and Mark at ERD. Jon had some gorgeous stones, which I could have been very happy with, not to mention he''s one of the nicest people I''ve ever met. Mark only had one for me to look at but when I saw it my heart sang! I would have to say that he really knows his cushions. It was exactly what I was looking for!!! I would have no problem buying from him sight unseen, and plan to for my wedding band.
Good luck! Please keep us posted I know it''s a big decision!

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link to GoG video. Wow! That''s one of the prettiest 0.76ct F/I1-clarity cushions I''ve seen! But at ~2000 for the stone alone, I might hv to get a plain setting.

I''ve already contacted Mark from ERD. Am excited to see his recommendations.
1.gif

Gregg

Rough_Rock
I put the specs you gave into a diamond search engine and got 57 loose diamonds. Did I miss a spec? (cushion cut, $1,500 or less, .6 ct or higher, very good cut or better, color K or better, clarity SI1 or better)

Since you also gave L/W, polish, and symmetry, I tried to find diamonds that showed that info, too. The first few didn''t. (I guess not all retailers publish that information.) But I saw two (from James Allen and Danforth Diamonds) that had L/W=1.0, and VG for polish and symmetry. Both were GIA certified, table 64, depth 69.8. The DD''s girdle was "Med-VTK" and the JA''s girdle was "Med." The DD was $1,160, and the JA was $1,200. If the vendors you are "bugging" aren''t helpful, maybe try these next.

:)

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
I like that GOG diamond the best. It''s very hard to find an eye clean I1 and the light performance of that particular stone is very excellent. F color is a bonus also.

See what Mark at ERD has to say first but that GOG one would be my choice even if you have to stretch a little dollar wise.

There''s also a risk of ordering from online w/o having a video like GOG puts up, like mentioned above my speculation of light performance from the stones posted was just that, speculation. It''s more of a gamble and to save time and money in shipping it might be better in the long run just to bite the bullet and get a proven performer.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in and say that I
30.gif
that F/I1 at GOG! It's spectacular! If that's the style cushion you're after, I'd go with that stone in a simple solitaire and give her the option to upgrade the setting down the road if she wants to. That's a beautiful, cushion-y cushion! Yay, Rhino!
36.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
I bet GoG's showcased 0.76 F/I1 will be sold out the moment it hits the market. It is stunning!

Thanks Gregg for running that search. Before posting this thread, I have already viewed countless images of cushions at JA. While I can ascertain the appeal of the shape, clarity and table size/proportions, there is no way I can determine the light performance from those images alone. The only conclusion I came to was that I need a reputable and trustworthy jeweler to pick me a stone I'd be happy with. I hear Mark from ERD is THE cushion guy to go to so here I am. Mark was upfront and told me he can't help me find my preferred antique-style cushions with chunky facets at the specified carat range. But he could get me nice cushion brilliants. If they look anything like the one posted at GoG, I'd be thrilled..

Geoffrey, my GF and I both feel that an e-ring as a symbol is much more important than the centerstone. We want the ring to last and have no plans for future resets. That's why I'm not willing to compromise on the setting just for the sake of getting a more substantial stone. We want to look at the ring remembering that this is the exact ring I proposed my wife with al those years ago, given my financial circumstances at the point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results