shape
carat
color
clarity

Recommend a Local Jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My ring is from A. T. Thomas Jewelers (no website) in Lincoln, NE. Very nice, professional, they made FH feel comfortable and provided lots of information to him, and they have an easy payment plan (so he tells me). Also, they touched up the satin/brushed finish on my platinum wedding band (bought from Signed Pieces - also great!! www.signedpieces.com) for free! Very honest also - we brought the design from FH's band in to see if it would be cheaper to have them recreate it, and they told us that we should order it online.

FH's band is from www.billbarnes.com, based in Texas I think. Very fast shipping, great correspondence.

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!
1.gif

Jeweler Recommendation: Bracken Jewelers

Location: 1454 1/2 Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, CA

Description: They specialize in antique-style and estate jewelery. The store is the cutest little jewelry store that you can completely imagine in England somewhere. They have the most unique, delicate and strinkingly beautiful pieces I''ve ever seen.

How I know them: My fiancee had my engagement ring custom-made there through a recommendation from his aunt whose parents used to be jewelers until they retired a few years ago. I found several rings I liked (on Pricescope) and Todd (the jeweler and owner of Bracken Jewelers) sat down with my fiancee several times to design a unique and jaw-droppingly gorgeous ring. I always receive compliments about my ring and people say the ring perfectly embodies the style of myself and my fiancee.

Extra perks:
- Todd made me fiancee feel comfortable about this huge purchase
- Todd truly listens to the input of the customer and is honest about his opinions in pricing, feasibility, etc.
- My custom-ring was surprising VERY affordable!
- Since the store is small you get a very intimate, warm home-like feeling
- Todd made sure to stay within my fiancee''s budget (even on the low side of the budgeted range!)

(Their website is not very impressive but I would definitely recommend going to the store itself)

If anyone is looking for a jeweler in Los Angeles but is too scared of going to the Jewelry District (I don''t blame you) and can''t afford the Rodeo Drive/Beverly Hills/Brentwood prices, but still want a beautiful ring (or other jewelry for that matter) I would HIGHLY recommend Bracken Jewelers.

bj_storefront.gif

san diego

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give me feedback on their thoughts on Ben Bridge??? I am looking at their Ikuma Diamonds, .92ctw. SI2 / H, for about $5,200.00. Am I getting ripped off???? Thanks for your help.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Ben Bridge is a chain and will have higher overhead. If you look up a price comparison here on PS''s homepage, you''ll see you''ll get something comparable for about $3300 - $4000. So, yeah, you''re probably not going to get the best price from Ben Bridge...

boston12345

Rough_Rock
I bought my fiance's Elexese princess solitaire at Long's in Burlington Massachusetts.

SUPERB service and price.

Long's Jewelers

boston12345

Rough_Rock
FYI - That is the first time I've typed "my fiance", I haven't even said it yet.

san diego

Rough_Rock
Is there any advantage or is it worth paying extra for their "signature" cuts???

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 12:16:47 PM
Author: san diego
Is there any advantage or is it worth paying extra for their ''signature'' cuts???

In general, "signature cuts" sold in "maul" or chain stores aren''t usually much better. If you educate yourself on this forum and then use that education to question Ben Bridge, you''ll soon learn that you probably know more than the person who is trying to sell you the ring.

If you check out this thread you''ll see how uneducated chain jewelry stores can be.

Start with the "Knowledge" menu up above to learn about your preferred diamond and then take it from there...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing (for the chains that is!!!)

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
For the person looking for someone in VA beach.

Take a short drive on west I-64 to Williamsburg. Goodman and Sons is WONDERFUL! They are a family owend bussiness that has been around for years! http://www.goodmanandsons.com/ I have my ering that we bought at an AGS jeweler in Seattle WA (Ben Bridge who I just love also.) It needs to be inspected every 6 months. Goodman and Sons does it for me with a smile everytime. They never make me feel odd that I am going to them to have my ring serviced at no charge. They always make me feel like family there. I know that sounds dumb but it is true. They are totally worth the drive.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
I have a Ben Bridge Signature diamond. I love it! My hubby and I shopped and educated ourselves for about a year before buying it. I can tell you that going to www.benbridge.com and emailing the jeweler will tell you everything you need to know. Ask to talk to Laura. She is WONDERFUL! Tell her Karen from VA sent you. LOL! Also any Ben Bridge ring you see in their store you can get through the web site. In other words what I am trying to say is if you want the 3/4 carat Ben Bridge Signature setting you can email or call them at their 1-800 number and they will work with you. Their Signature diamonds are VS and GH in color. I ended up with an .80 VVS1 and F in color just by dealing with the Jeweler online verses going to the store.

Just my 2 cents.
21.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
::running in a bit late::

I had a terrific experience at Harper & Faye in Boston, MA
Harper & Faye Jewelers
75 State Street
Boston, MA 02109
Phone (617) 330-1943
Hours M-F 10-6
http://www.harperandfaye.com

They sell Lazare Kaplan diamonds, but were gracious about taking my diamond for setting. They carry a few wonderful designers, but also offer custom made services. They took the time to meet with a very disheveled young lady interested in the low end of their diamond sizes. They actually recommended that I check out the lower colors and clarity for the best price for performance (I fell in love with a lovely little J/VS2 there before I came across my stone).

Hooray for Harper & Faye!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
rfath - thanks
21.gif
I shall include them too but I gave up email jewelers and beg for more information about their own business
19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Leonid,

I thought I would add Norris Jewelers in Milford, OH, just outside of Cincinnati. Very friendly atmosphere. On site jewelry repair, benchmen, watch repair, beautiful custom designs, and great prices. My brother-in-law bought my sisters rings there and had a wonderful experience. Hubby and I also purchased our wedding bands from them years ago.

i know you're not trying to contact the local guys anymore, but if you could add them here it might be helpful

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Late comer too, but I would recommend NewStar Jewelers in Naperville, IL. Their main store is in Joliet but the Naperville one is closer to me. I never bought a diamond from them but they were extremely helpful when I was considering buying a Gotliebb & Sons wedding set a few months ago. They carry Tacori, Scott Kay and Simon G so when I need my eye candy fix I go there.
2.gif
They also have a little play area set up for the kiddies.
9.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Added last three
21.gif
I''ve got to make it possible for these jewelers to sign in and edit their information themselves
26.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

well since GOG has already been added, here is the jeweler I worked with to get my Tacori setting.

Long Island, NY

They have lots of settings on display, and were very helpful with working with the setting vendors. At one point I was interested in a heavily modified Scott Kay setting - they called, got pricing and made the experince easy. I ended up going with a Tacori setting, with my GOG stone and they had no problem setting it. Bill the setter is a super nice guy - and will spend lots of time with you explaining and discussing the finer points of what he does.

Now that I am going back to re-set a larger stone in the setting Bill spent a lot of time with me discussing how my new larger stone would fit into my exisiting setting. He kindly took the time to answer my silly questions "What do you mean by vector set vs. pressure set?" and so on.

The also worked with me on price!

Fishman Jewelers
361 South Oyster Bay Road
Plainview, NY 11797
http://www.fishmanjewelers.com/
Phone: 516-822-5105

Brands they carry include:
Tacori Fusaro Richard Landi Scott Kay

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2005 4:39:03 PM
Author: justbuyingaring
Robbins Diamonds in Philly, PA is one of the best on the East Coast! I live in D.C. and have been to countless jewelry stores from Virginia to New York and have also done extensive searches through internet stores, Robbins is where they have the BEST customer service coupled w/ an OUTSTANDING selection of settings and diamonds for a GREAT PRICE! I travelled up to Philly as there customer service and prices were UNBEATABLE! I STRONGLY recommend you talk to Christina Gonzalez, she is your friend when buying a diamond. She is the reason I went to Robbins after finding several internet stores selling diamonds and prices for about the same price, she is very patient, knowledgable, trustworthy, and will find you what you want(even if all you can do is explain it to her w/ out all the diamond expert jargon).

I received the PERFECT diamond ring at a FANTASTIC price! After visiting as many stores as I have over the course of the past couple of months I can tell you that you will not receive any better customer service than what Robbins provides if you like a no pressure, very knowledgable staff w/ an OUTSTANDING selection of settings and diamonds!

I just bought my diamond ring and would highly recommend Robbins to anybody on the East Coast.
I second Robbins Diamonds. We went to their store in Delaware (Tax-free shopping there!) at the beginning of our search. They have a ton of settings and the customer service was outstanding! Very patient, wanted you to try everything, cut is king, wanted to educate you about diamonds, not pressure you into something. I cant remember the name of the woman who helped us, but as mentioned above, Christina sounds awful familiar!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the best jewelery shops in downtown Philadelphia is Linde Meyer Gold & Silver. The store is in Liberty Place, which is on 17th street between Market and Chestnut streets next to the Westin Hotel. She''s a highly knowledgeable independent jeweler who worked with Georg Jensen and J. E. Caldwell before starting her own business. She carries all styles from antique (some signed estate pieces, all in pristine condition) to modern at reasonable prices and will work with you if you want to create your own design or re-style something. No high pressure sales tactics or other bullduty. I bought an Edwardian pendant/brooch signed by Tiffany there- it was in its original container that was monogrammed "RFC 1906". I don''t think she has a website, but this is the address: Linde Meyer Gold & Silver 1650 Market Street - Philadelphia, PA. 215-851-8555. Google has some reviews of the store.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
Any recommendations in the Pittsburgh, PA area????

mustang05

Rough_Rock
Can anyone recoomend a jeweler in Big-D? Dallas, TX that is for those still wondering. It would be a great help...thanks.

First time writing, but daily reader. Truly enjoy the vast amount of info provided on this site.

Thanks to all!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh, Madame B and Tony: I live in the Main Line! Anyway, There is a family owned store in Bala Cynwyd and now in Boyd''s downtown, Govberg''s. They have nice things and all my dealings have been positive...and once a year they have a 50% off sale where EVERYTHING in the store is 50% off. They win Best of Philly for their watches, new and preowned stuff. They have all the gamut, from very pricey, to great stuff like Honora and fun things, Michelle watches, etc...thought I would throw that in. I have been to all the shops here, and keep going back there.

jasper

Shiny_Rock
Leonid,

I encourage you to NOT add Ben Bridge Jewelers to your list of recommended local jewelers. Unless their business ethics and "gemologists"' training have dramatically improved during the past year, I would not recommend that any PriceScope member trust Ben Bridge's "education" about ideal-cut diamonds.

If you would like specifics about the company-wide problem I have had with this chain, I would be happy to discuss it with you off-line. (I have already discussed it with the Ben Bridge executive who was responsible for the problem.)

Sincerely yours,

Jasper Paulsen

[Edited to add:]
If Ben Bridge is not eligible to be on the list of local jewellers for other reasons (such as being a 60-store chain that is part of a gigantic conglomerate), please feel free to remove this post.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jasper, thank you... Since this our own initiative, it is up to the community to decide whether a company should be recommended/listed. In this case your opinion is very valuable.

Tony S.

Rough_Rock
Diamondfan,

I actually considered Govberg during my process but never made it there. Based on what I know the three stores who are known for their brands and just having superior quality in Philly are Bernie Robbins, Govberg and Jack Kellmer. That is not to say there are no other high quality stores but based on ads in Philly magazine and through word of mouth those three were on the top of my list to visit. I had a consultation at Kellmer and I really liked everything about the store but somehow I wandered into Bernie Robbins one day and really took a liking to the sales consultant. Bernie Robbins has a ton of brand names which is pretty cool if you are into that...they sell all the big name watches and branded diamonds Daniel K/Hearts of Fire and other jewelry like Van Cleef. Overall I was very happy with the price I paid there when comparing similar diamonds on price scope and the customer service was literally amazing. Its funny how Bernie Robbins always gets confused with Robbins Diamonds. There is something about buying a diamond from a guy with a diamond in his beard that turns me off. Maybe I am just crazy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a big fan of Bernie Robbins. I bought my watch there, and think their customer service is excellent. I also love Jack Kellemer''s in Haverford. I bought my pink sapphire loose from them and had them build the ring in Platinum. They were excellent to work with. I need to check out Govbergs, I have heard great things about them.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy visiting Govberg''s. Their selection has greatly improved from the time they used to be on Jeweler''s Row. I also like Kellmer''s ( I got one of my eternity bands there and I think my next adventure is going to be a Royal Asscher from them), but their pricing system for rings is goofy--they charge separate prices for the stone and the setting. Each ring has 2 price tags on it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux,
That must be a new system. I saw that when I was there on Tuesday. I don''t care for it at all. It''s a little wacky. I was trying on asschers to get a feel for size etc...

Tony S.

Rough_Rock
Kaliegh,

What are some of the other local jewelers at the level of Kellmer, Govberg and Bernie Robbins? This was my first major jewelery purchase so I serached online then went to Kellmer and Bernie Robbins based on reccomendations and the fact that they do a lot of advertising in higher end magazines, etc. If I had to do it again I might have been a little more trustful of buying on the internet but I strongly reccomend Bernie Robbins from a quality and customer service perspective.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charley Dolan of Desinger and Dolan is excellent Tony. He is setting my new 1.20 RB that I got as a trade in and am having him set it in a 3 prong setting for a pendant. Very much like the one Jenn just posted in the pendant thread. He is in Bryn Mawr in an office building, no store front. In Narberth I love Optima Jewelers, Ron and Wendy are both GG''s and are young and fun. They have great stuff, and he is my bench jeweler. They are at The Shoppes at Albrecht''s where the farmers market is.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results