shape
carat
color
clarity

Reasonable private party sale price for this diamond/ring?

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thanks for the useful comments to my newbie post yesterday about a stone I am considering in a private party sale. Can I please ask for y'alls opinion on what is a reasonable third party price to pay for that diamond? See thread link below. Is $5000 reasonable if everything checks out? It is in a white gold setting and was worn for 6 months. I won't use the setting and I guess would subsequently sell it (it was likely $300 new on BlueNile).

The diamond is 1.24 ct RB, H color, SI2 clarity, GIA Ex/Ex/Ex, and I think the geometry is also consistent with AGS Ideal (I know not the same as an actual AGS Ideal grade), and the HCA score is 1.1. It has strong blue fluorescence. Further details and GIA report in the link below.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/awesome-forum-any-red-flags-with-this-stone.197432/

Of course I will thoroughly inspect it myself, make sure I like it, and also have a qualified independent appraiser scrutinize it. Assuming it checks out, what's your opinion on what I should I pay?

Many thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Thanks! Scott

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Reasonable private party sale price for this diamond/rin

Its reasonable if
1.Its a genuine SI2 and not a low one.
2.If the florescent is not causing a hazy /milky affect.

If so price is quite good

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Also, you can use the diamond quote calculator at the top of this page to find quotes on a stone similar to yours.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the comments treasurehunter and iLander.

Treasurehunter, can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "genuine SI2"?

Also, when I look online for diamonds with comparable specs, I see "retail" (online) prices ranging from approx. $5.5k - $7.5k. What are the main drivers for this spread? Thanks, Scott

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Not an exhaustive list, but drivers include things like

-Location and severity of inclusions (including those not shown on report like clouds, twinning wisps). SI2's have a huge range of severity and types of inclusions
-Cut quality (even among similarly graded diamonds)
-Wholesale price of rough diamond (timing, quantity, source)
-Timing the diamond gets to the market

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Honestly, I might would go in a littl. lower. It is a third party/used ring. We use to say
40 to 50% off retail but I think sellers are getting more these days. They can always counter you
Or you can make a higher offer if they say no.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks teobdl and tyty333! Any other opinions out there on a good price for this private party sale?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How much are they asking for it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Look up the closest comparable on BN and use that as a starting point. Try to pay 50% of the full retail price, or less if possible ;-) But 60% of the full retail would be ok too if the diamond is exactly what you want.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you really like the stone offer the seller 65% of retail.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the comments all!

tyty333, they are asking 5k but I am checking to see if they will accept 4.5k.

A few commenters have suggested offering 50-65% of "retail", but the online retail prices vary quite a bit for "comparable" stones. Is there any way to figure which price in that wide range of prices this stone is comparable to? I know I need to see it to know for sure that it is good, but even BN (for example) has prices ranging from 5.6k to 7.6k for comparable stones (within 0.01 ct), including a couple with strong blue fluorescence like this one. I personally view the fluorescence as a bonus as it seems to drive the price lower but is actually a trait my wife and I think is cool.

Assuming it checks out as a pretty diamond, is there a way to hone in on what retail price it is comparable to - assuming it is eye clean (to my standards) and not milky/hazy? Thanks! Scott

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Hi Scott!

I'm actually all in favor of offering 50-65% retail but my spidey senses would perk up if they agree to the deal readily. Most sellers are aware of what their pieces are worth and just like buyers, most are knowledgeable! Unless there is a pressing need to sell, which is a different story.

I would caution that you make sure you take that ring to a well-qualified appraiser to make sure that you are getting the same stone. Better yet, if they agree, ask to have the stone unmounted. This way, you appraiser can not only match the weight, but also match the inclusions to the plot.

Personally, I think an offer of $4k to $4500 is a good, fair price.

Good luck! :))

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

As a frequent pre-loved buyer, I think 5K is too high. The SI2 will scare a lot of people but they would be more willing to risk it if there was a price incentive. I think you will land at $3500 - $4000 if you really want to sell. At $4000 - $4500 would be probably the top end for what you would get.

The other piece is that the people checking loupetroop and diamondbistro are likely also the people reading the forum.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo|1390152486|3596205 said:
As a frequent pre-loved buyer, I think 5K is too high. The SI2 will scare a lot of people but they would be more willing to risk it if there was a price incentive. I think you will land at $3500 - $4000 if you really want to sell. At $4000 - $4500 would be probably the top end for what you would get.

The other piece is that the people checking loupetroop and diamondbistro are likely also the people reading the forum.

He is buying the stone not selling CharmyPoo or am I reading your response wrong?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are finding $5.6 to $7.6 right?

I did a search using all your main specs plus GIA 3X and AGS0. I found 5 stones that scored under 2 on HCA. Average price
was about $6.6 if that helps. At the SI2 level I would think the price would be highly dependant on how eye clean (or not) it is.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for the valuable input!

So, when the folks above recommend offering/paying a certain percentage of "retail" (be it 40, 50, 60%, etc.) for a private party diamond for sale, which "retail" are we referring to? The B&M store retail prices for loose diamonds, or the more competitive online prices from reputable vendors? Thanks! Scott

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

tyty333|1390182650|3596600 said:
CharmyPoo|1390152486|3596205 said:

He is buying the stone not selling CharmyPoo or am I reading your response wrong?

Oops ... no you read it right. I read the original post wrong (or should I say that I didn't read it).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ScottGBP|1390226844|3596864 said:
Thanks everyone for the valuable input!

So, when the folks above recommend offering/paying a certain percentage of "retail" (be it 40, 50, 60%, etc.) for a private party diamond for sale, which "retail" are we referring to? The B&M store retail prices for loose diamonds, or the more competitive online prices from reputable vendors? Thanks! Scott

We go by the online competitive prices because that's where we shop (mostly) .

We don't care that the original buyer overpaid when they bought the ring.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks all for your opinions and suggestions on this stone. Thanks tyty333 for the search results - I've since learned that I can now do that too, lol.

So, we know the online price range for new "similar" stones is $5.6k - 7.6k, and the average is $6.6k for GIA certified Ex/Ex/Ex, H, SI2 stones of similar size (1.24 ct) and HCA score (1.1). It's geometry even puts it in the AGS0 "candidate" category. Of course I'll know more when I see it (sparkle, eye clean, etc.), but is there any way to tell by what we already know if this stone would LIKELY be retail-priced on the lower, middle, or upper end of the price range above? Would the strong blue fluorescence be a significant driver to the low end in this regard? Again, SBF is something we think is nifty as long as it doesn't impact the performance of the stone in normal light.

I am working this (overworking this? :tongue: ) because due to logistics I need to hone in on a reasonable sales price range before I commit other resources and time to appraising/seeing the stone. The seller is not budging from $5k and I'm wondering how that flies based on what we already know, and how the stone might rank in the known price range of $5.6k to 7.6k retail. I keep working this in case it is a nice private party stone (which I am looking for based on budget), as they are not easy to find with my desired specs. Many thanks! Scott

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

Thanks TC1987 for your post on third party sale price in my other thread! I am copying and pasting here since it adds to this discussion:

" by TC1987 » 20 Jan 2014 10:42
If the stone is eyeclean and has great performance, I think it would be unrealistic for anyone to except the seller to accept any offer in the $3000s. It's 1.25ct stone, essentially, and that is a nice desirable >1ct size. Unless that seller is desperate for fast cash, I really can't see it selling for some of the low prices people here have quoted. Just sayin'. It's not my stone. But well-cut diamonds seem to go up in price every year, not down. So why would a seller just dump it for 1/2 of retail. "

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If was going to say, if you were going by the percentages of retail price, and the 40-65% spread, you are looking at a spread of 2640-4290.
If the seller is not budging on 5K, then why are you asking how much you should pay?

You just need to figure out if you are willing to buy that stone for the price. Alot has to do with what are other available stones, and your budget.

At least in my area, there is at least one pawn shop that focuses on the jewelry and diamonds, that have a wide selection of both set and unset rings with stones, many with grading reports. Is there a way for you to check out any of those?

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock

part gypsy|1390326068|3597738 said:
If was going to say, if you were going by the percentages of retail price, and the 40-65% spread, you are looking at a spread of 2640-4290.
If the seller is not budging on 5K, then why are you asking how much you should pay?

You just need to figure out if you are willing to buy that stone for the price. Alot has to do with what are other available stones, and your budget.

At least in my area, there is at least one pawn shop that focuses on the jewelry and diamonds, that have a wide selection of both set and unset rings with stones, many with grading reports. Is there a way for you to check out any of those?

Thanks for the pawn shop suggestion part gypsy, I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not asking how much I should pay, I am asking in my last post about what do folks think the retail value of the diamond may be, within the $5.6k to $7.6k range we established for similar stones. The question is, is there any way to tell where this stone is likely to lie within that range? I know it has to be seen personally and appraised, but is there anything in the info we already have that gives us clues as to the retail price? I would likely pay a private party price of $5k for a nice $7.6k stone (~65%), but wouldn't even consider paying $5k for a $5.6k diamond. Am I at a dead-end with the available info and it just needs to be seen and appraised?

All, any thoughts? Many thanks, Scott

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results