shape
carat
color
clarity

Awesome forum! Any red flags with this stone?

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Howdy all! First off let me say that searching and reading this WONDERFUL forum has given me immense knowledge during my bid to purchase a diamond for my wife for our anniversary. Many thanks to all the numerous posters who have helped me learn. It's time for me to stop lurking and finally post :wavey:

Would love y'alls opinion on this diamond that I am considering purchasing. It is a 1.24 ct RB, H color, SI2 clarity. The GIA number is 2146105837 and I've attached the report. If I've done the HCA input correctly, the HCA score is 1.1, with 4 "excellents". If purchased, we will have it set in white gold. It will take me a little bit of a drive to go see it so I am just trying to see if anyone sees any red flags before I commit the time and effort to see it first hand. Long story, but shipping to me for my inspection and potential return is not an option.

One of my criteria is that it has a CHANCE to be eye clean to my standards - which are nothing obvious to a layman observing the stone from 8-12 inches. I'd also like it to not show obvious color (should be good with H color, I think?), and have a chance to be a really pretty diamond where the inclusions don't inhibit light performance. My wife's criteria are mainly similar, but she just ultimately wants it to be "pretty and sparkly" :twirl:

I would be very grateful for your general thoughts on the GIA report, the inclusions (twinning wisps appear to be the grade setter, feathers, a small knot low on the inclusion list), the strong blue fluorescence (which won't bother us as long as not milky/hazy), etc. Unless there are any showstoppers, I'll take a closer look at the diamond.

Sorry, long post! I'll shut up now and hope for some helpful comments! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2146105837.pdf
    542.9 KB · Views: 177

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to comment RockyRaccoon. I appreciate the link and am definitely looking at many stones online. I'll be able to inspect the stone I posted about above (and others) myself, as will my independent appraiser, just wondering if you or others see any red flags in the one I posted? Many thanks!

c-k

Shiny_Rock
ScottGBP|1389989832|3594836 said:
Thanks for taking the time to comment RockyRaccoon. I appreciate the link and am definitely looking at many stones online. I'll be able to inspect the stone I posted about above (and others) myself, as will my independent appraiser, just wondering if you or others see any red flags in the one I posted? Many thanks!

The GIA report does not look bad, just remember those numbers are rounded. The spread of the stone faces up large. Be sure to examine the stone in all light both bright as well as dim. Be sure it is eye clean to your definition. The color H in a setting will look very white. I have a stone that is a 60/60 similar specs which I like very much, the nice spread makes it look much bigger.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your time and input c-k! In my research and learning I hadn't yet come across the 60/60 concept. Anyone else have any thoughts, concerns, or things for me to look out for? Thanks again!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
A 60/60 tend to have less fire, but more white light return. Not a bad thing, just a slightly different flavor.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Thanks Andelain! Do any other experts think this stone has the chance to be eye-clean (to my standards above) to justify my going to see it? Is the small knot an issue (e.g., can the surface crystal fall out leaving a cavity)? Since all inclusions (except the twinning wisps and a small cloud) are not under the table is that potentially a good thing? Thanks again!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since we can not see the diamond either it is impossible for us to say whether it will be eye clean to your definition.

However, with twinning wisps as the main inclusions, it may well be. Twinning wisps tend to be colorless and harder to see than many other types of inclusions.

If you are meaning eye clean from all directions, above, below, through the side etc, then it is unlikely to be eye clean. In the trade we grade diamonds from the top, as that is how they are viewed It will be exceedingly rare to find an SI2 that is eye clean from all directions, but when viewed only from the top most will be eye clean under normal viewing conditions.

As always, it is YOUR eyes that must make the test. Enjoy taking the time to give it a look.

Wink

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Thanks Wink! Anyone else have any thoughts on issues to look out for or red flags on this one?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
If the stone is eyeclean and has great performance, I think it would be unrealistic for anyone to except the seller to accept any offer in the $3000s. It's 1.25ct stone, essentially, and that is a nice desirable >1ct size. Unless that seller is desperate for fast cash, I really can't see it selling for some of the low prices people here have quoted. Just sayin'. It's not my stone. But well-cut diamonds seem to go up in price every year, not down. So why would a seller just dump it for 1/2 of retail.

ScottGBP

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing your opinion TC1987!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results