shape
carat
color
clarity

REALLY want an emerald eternity...but afraid......so afraid.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello colored stoners! :wavey:

I've been gone a long time! I had my son about a year and a half ago and have been planning to get a sapphire push/baby/I survived ring since then but it recently occurred to me to do HIS birthstone. Sapphire is my birthstone and most of my jewelry is sapphire, which is why my natural inclination was to do a sapphire band. But...all I wear on a daily basis is my BGD bezel diamond wedding band and I think having an emerald piece would be that much more special and about him.

But emeralds scare the crap out of me. I'll post the two settings I am considering with the rectangular setting be the one I am much more in favor of but if I can't get it how I want it in my budget and I can even find the second style I would be very happy with it as well. I do not plan to take this ring off. I plan to wear it 24/7 with my wedding ring.

Is this le cray? Or am I good to go? Am I just asking for trouble to do emeralds or are they not nearly as fragile as I'm thinking they are?

option1.jpeg

option2.jpeg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Re: REALLY want an emerald eternity...but afraid......so afr

Emeralds can be worn everyday, but you must be careful with your jewelry. For an emerald eternity, the individual small emeralds are less expensive and valuable than having one larger emerald (and thus, easier to replace, though you'd still have to match for color and size) so I wouldn't worry too much depending on how much you spend in the piece. For something like this, I'd either have a vendor source the small emeralds, or buy an antique or vintage emerald ring.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Welcome back & congratulations on the babe -- I'm sure you're enjoying him like mad.

I have an emerald & diamond eternity & wouldn't dare wear it 24/7. Emeralds are too easy to chip or scratch, but also are vulnerable to some chemicals & of course heat. Organic solvents or petroleum distillates, strong soaps (which can degrade the oil used on almost all emeralds), steam -- stuff to avoid exposing them to.

They'd be less at risk from impacts in the bezeled settings you posted (pretty, btw!), but if you do half the stuff I do around the house, things still happen. I wouldn't want to expose them to hand or dish soap the many times per day my hands are in one or the other, either.

To replace one in that type of setting, you'd have to have the bezel re-made & re-soldered. (I'm not a jeweler so if I'm wrong, somebody correct me.) It isn't a case of slipping one stone out & a new one in.

I have a little dish in the kitchen where I park my rings when I come home. Something like that -- and wearing your ring at work or when you go out -- would keep it in much better condition.

--- Laurie

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

JF-you highlight a lot of the reasons I'm scared to get an emerald band. I've tried taking on and off my jewelry everyday and I never remember to put it back on. Hence why my daily wear is my bezel diamond band and a sterling necklace that is tarnished to the point of not even being able to read it.

Maybe it would be smarter to do a sapphire band and inset an emerald inside the band.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Or you could do tsavorites -- emerald may be the stone, but Green is the color for May's zodiac. Or go for something else that just turns you on. It will still be associated in your heart with the baby, but honestly, the type of stone/month is an invention -- probably originally to sell jewelry -- and not some eternal truth. ;-) Do what makes your heart sing, as your new kid does!

--- Laurie

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

Emeralds can be worn everyday, but you must be careful with your jewelry. For an emerald eternity, the individual small emeralds are less expensive and valuable than having one larger emerald (and thus, easier to replace, though you'd still have to match for color and size) so I wouldn't worry too much depending on how much you spend in the piece. For something like this, I'd either have a vendor source the small emeralds, or buy an antique or vintage emerald ring.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It isn't as easy to replace a bezeled emerald so it would be a ring I might wear everyday but remove it for housework and such activities. I think in your case, a sapphire + diamond eternity will be worry-free. Congrats on the new baby and welcome back. :appl:

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock

I get the extensive concern, but I have been wearing a .4 ct emerald ring for the last 4 years, practically non-stop. It's gone through pools, oceans, bumps, scratches, sleeping, showers... everything. It's not in perfect condition, but I didn't receive it in perfect condition. For stones as small as they would be in an eternity band, I wouldn't be concerned except for the ones that would have pressure on them from the underside of the hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JewelFreak|1381694814|3537088 said:
Or you could do tsavorites -- emerald may be the stone, but Green is the color for May's zodiac. Or go for something else that just turns you on. It will still be associated in your heart with the baby, but honestly, the type of stone/month is an invention -- probably originally to sell jewelry -- and not some eternal truth. ;-) Do what makes your heart sing, as your new kid does!

--- Laurie

I so agree with Laurie and wish that I was not so rule bound myself about such things. My worry would go like this: "well if the books all say emerald, then will I get karma credit if its tsavorite instead, or whether I make it blue sapphires because they match his eyes?" I'm not saying you're like me, but I totally agree with Laurie that if you create something in a loving way to commemorate your baby boy, then you will think of him every time you look at it...

Also, just as an fyi, my avatar is an Edwardian emerald and diamond ring that was my great Grandmother Madeleine's. It came to me with one of the emerald chips missing, and I don't have the heart to wear it for fear that others will go, so it sits. I don't know; I'm just not that into babying my jewelry, so part of it depends on you.

But most important, congratulations on your son! How awesome! He must be so much fun and now be changing before your eyes...

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still back and forth with emeralds or sapphires. I think I would be happy with either. It might just depend on which one comes my way, in my size, in my budget!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I recently bought an emerald eternity from a fellow PSer. She got it off ebay, and it's an oldie. The emeralds aren't in great shape anymore, but I wear it every day, and personally think it's still looks beautiful. So, part of it depends on your tolerance for imperfection.

img_7728.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB|1381803080|3537827 said:
I recently bought an emerald eternity from a fellow PSer. She got it off ebay, and it's an oldie. The emeralds aren't in great shape anymore, but I wear it every day, and personally think it's still looks beautiful. So, part of it depends on your tolerance for imperfection.

NK: when you say they are not in great shape any more, what exactly do you mean? TIA

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, and I love the combo of diamonds and emeralds - your combo especially of your ER and that band. :cheeky:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks, MB - none are missing, but some are chipped, or maybe a little dull, but the colour is still there, which is the most important part to me. :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NKOTB|1381865104|3538193 said:
Thanks, MB - none are missing, but some are chipped, or maybe a little dull, but the colour is still there, which is the most important part to me. :D

I see. Yeah, it sure seems like chips are all too common. :((

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Preg-sadly, no. I have size 7.5's!

NKOTB-That is beautiful!!!

I am working with a few vendors but still very flip floppy on emerald vs sapphire. Very flip floppy.

A few days ago I found a french cut platinum sapphire band in my size, perfect height, perfect stone color, perfect everything. I was like....THIS is my ring...nope...sold and web site not updated. Grrr!

I'm still pretty set on the baguette style if its possible and in my budget though.

merlin123

Rough_Rock

Very cool ring design, really like it, it will look great will sapphires or emeralds

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Now I'm thinking ring two in emeralds. This should not be THIS HARD to decide on.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

stepcutgirl|1381940413|3538841 said:
Now I'm thinking ring two in emeralds. This should not be THIS HARD to decide on.
Why not? Dude, it takes me YEARS to decide how to set things sometimes. Take as long as you want! No one is rushing you! Better to get it right and love it for a lifetime than to just settle on something!

(The two most recent stones that I've set, I had had in my possession for over three years. The only reason they got set when they did is that I had money when I happened across settings that I really liked! Otherwise they'd still be sitting in my gem case, unset.)

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I have a few dimes to run together right now. That's an oddity. My parents gifted me some money for my birthday for a different jewelry project I'd been saving for and since that one didn't go as planned id like to get this one done before theory I have gets spent bit by bit here and there until there is not enough left.

Plus I've found both rings in my budget but dude...I am the queen of indecision.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Rub*

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I hope Gypsy doesn't mind me commenting on her emerald band (which she won over my bid on ebay by $20...yay one day I will get over that one). Anyhow I have the sapphire mate to it and actually another PSer has the ruby version to complete the set :bigsmile: Dover is **cough cough** not very good at really tracking the details of their jewelry. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the emeralds are synthetic or tsavs. Dover just isn't details oriented. So if you really like the look of it perhaps you should look into those two options if you are having one custom made. They would both be less brittle then natural emerald and stay brighter.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

photo__100_.jpg

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

SB621|1381971869|3539162 said:
I hope Gypsy doesn't mind me commenting on her emerald band (which she won over my bid on ebay by $20...yay one day I will get over that one). Anyhow I have the sapphire mate to it and actually another PSer has the ruby version to complete the set :bigsmile: Dover is **cough cough** not very good at really tracking the details of their jewelry. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the emeralds are synthetic or tsavs. Dover just isn't details oriented. So if you really like the look of it perhaps you should look into those two options if you are having one custom made. They would both be less brittle then natural emerald and stay brighter.

I stalked both you and Gypsy's threads all day and finally bought this about 2 hours ago!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200941344635?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Congratulations! I love these. How did you find it? It doesn't look like it's from Dover.

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

pregcurious|1381973016|3539183 said:
Congratulations! I love these. How did you find it? It doesn't look like it's from Dover.

I was on a thread where someone said they had a great ebay experience with this seller so I looked them up and found it! This is after searching 15 ways from Sunday for the terms emerald and eternity on ebay for a week! I'm still not 100% sure I don't want the baguette version but I know where to find the baguette version for pretty cheap, this ring I have not been able to find anywhere and was looking to have it made custom and got a custom quote yesterday that was way out of my budget. Hell, this was out of my budget but not so far I couldn't juggle some funds to cover it!

I got this one because it has the return period and I can see it in person to decide if I really want it or the baguette one.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

What?! Girlfriend, seems like you have a $4!+ ton of decision making abilities!!!! Congrats! Post lots and lots of pics when you get it!

(And I swear, if you make me regret listing my tsavs for sale, I'm going to come out fighting!)

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hahahaha freke! I will.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm glad you went with emerald!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results