shape
carat
color
clarity

Really Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MSA1046

Rough_Rock
Can someone please explain to me how an EGL “Ideal Plus” cut grade (60.6 Depth, 58 Table, 33.7 Deg. Crown, and 43.8%. Pavillion), rates as an 2.9 (“worth buying if the price is right”) on the HCA scale? I’m very confused!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you getting the term EGL Ideal Plus from?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I like GIA and AGS stones. EGL is know for being off a bit in their grading. I also like tables that are a tad smaller. however, if you''ve seen it and love it, it would be worth buying if the price is right. I''ve never heard of ideal plus either, is that a new EGL term?

MSA1046

Rough_Rock
EGL "Ideal Plus" is on the cert. It''s their highest cut grade.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 3:34:37 PM
Author: MSA1046
EGL ''Ideal Plus'' is on the cert. It''s their highest cut grade.
How do you know it''s their highest cut grade...not that I question that.

Whoever knows can maybe also tell you what ranges they specify for ideal. Or...they can find out for you. The table seems a bit big...just on the face of it.

Knowing their parameters for "ideal," will also end up answering your question, I think.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/7/2006 8:42:27 PM
Author: Regular Guy

How do you know it''s their highest cut grade...not that I question that.

Whoever knows can maybe also tell you what ranges they specify for ideal. Or...they can find out for you. The table seems a bit big...just on the face of it.

Knowing their parameters for ''ideal,'' will also end up answering your question, I think.

I asked the same question recently...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/egl-usa-ideal-plus.54342/=

EGL USA never answered my email asking for a definition of Ideal versus Ideal Plus (apparently they use both, but no one seems to know how they actually define a difference) - at the Gem Show the other day they had EGL USA stones there - I saw several labeled ideal and ideal plus on the cards.

I also think the table on the above stone is larger than I prefer.

diamondpug

Rough_Rock
Try finding diamonds with similar (same is the best of course!) proportions online with GIA and AGS certs and see what the vendor / cert rates the cut. It takes some extra work, but it will be an additional data point.

Pugsy

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Never heard of the EGL "Ideal Plus"? Curious of how that relates to GIA, AGS? Should I be learning more about this as I search for an E-ring?

DBM

Shiny_Rock
yes i''ve seen EGL Ideal Plus'' . don''t know what standards they''re going by.. didn''t gary answer this in a differnet thread??

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Daniel,

Though I think Garry did suggest EGL may use AGS old standards, a quick google search for those confirms my guess that the table in the current specimen falls outside those standards, raising a question about the correctness of that idea.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
table %, AGS old 0: is it (x-57.5) or [ ]

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I called EGL USA today because it sounds like this will be a recurring question (and b/c they never answered my email!!) - EGL LA office told me the difference was ''simple'' and put me on hold. After a while I was someone else picked up, I repeated my question asking if she could explain what the difference is between ideal and ideal plus, and she hung up! (Hopefully the hang up was an accident! I am really curious and was not trying to be offensive) I then called EGL NY and after a while got through to a very nice lady who explained very politely that there is an industry standard and that it is scientific, and that if I was interested she would be happy to email me the specs on Monday as they are about to close. She also brought up to be sure to confirm an EGL USA report if looking at a particular stone - she said go to eglusa.com and go to online results, then type in the report # - if the report comes up then great, if it doesn''t, then they should be contacted b/c she noted there are a few fradulent reports out there.

I will post the results when I get them to clarify for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results