shape
carat
color
clarity

Really bad 'professional' restringing -need to vent- need to learn to knott asap now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't think anyone would respond, so thank you all. I may have missed a lot of details, which, by the way, I'm still learning. I'd also like to share that if you don't have the right needles, it will be hard to get the thread through the holes. A very thin needle will help you do this. 20220602_095908.jpg
20220531_115159.jpg

I don't know which is better, but I think the one that saves you time is better. But in the end, it all comes down to tying knots between pearls. I also used extra-fine thread, which makes the knots smaller and prettier, but it broke easily when I tried to make a long and large pearls, heavy necklace, like an opera-length one. So, I use size 30 thread because it would be bad if the necklace broke while I was wearing it.

For the French wire, you can buy it online. Just get one that is 1.0mm in size. Getting one that is bigger is fine, but it might not fit in some clasps.

Thank you
im doing my best to try to process all this
At least all this great know how is all tucked up safe in this thread for when i come to use it
I have a set of beading needles here somewhere - assorted sizes

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sign
i just ordered some pearl silk with thredaed neadles to tempoaraly string something up for the NZ service for the Queen next monday
its coming by courier
so im finally having a go at this knotting caper

mamong

Rough_Rock
There are several methods that may save a significant amount of time. Here's a video of a different knotting technique that I've never attempted myself. It seems simple, but I'm sure it takes some practices. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNuLDdAlzX0/
Also, a way to fill pearls more quickly. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcYDO1Tly6m/

Wow, thanks so much for sharing this valuable tutorial pictures .

My bracelet strand is not fully knotted. Only 3 knots at each end I prefer it that way…

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
on the day of The Queen's funeral i tried really hard
i had some old corral beads, some Whitby jet and some Wen pearls
i had brough some pretreaded pearl thread - which was just a pit of nylon attached to the end of the thread - it was kind of hard to see being clear

but it hurt too much
like cramp
the hand holding the bead- not the hand doing the threading
i swapped hands and the pain swapped hands also

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
D&D You are probably holding on to tightly ... but I know what you mean . I get that sometimes - that pinching motion is easy to overdo and it makes my thumb joint sore !

I've watched that video so many times lol It seems so simple but takes a bit of stopping the film and starting to understand where the pearls are going and how the thread is being held. It would make for small knots though .

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&D You are probably holding on to tightly ... but I know what you mean . I get that sometimes - that pinching motion is easy to overdo and it makes my thumb joint sore !

I've watched that video so many times lol It seems so simple but takes a bit of stopping the film and starting to understand where the pearls are going and how the thread is being held. It would make for small knots though .

hmmmm
could be ?
i still have another packet of thread
i will try to loosen up

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so i did my best to grow some ...s when i rang the jewler
im taking them in
he did say did i ask them to be knotted ?

(surly thats the f-ing point of taking them in - i didnt actually say that)

but i know i talked about how i couldnt do it myself because my hands were too sore to knot
he's going to look out the job sheet
ill go in next week

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so i did my best to grow some ...s when i rang the jewler
im taking them in
he did say did i ask them to be knotted ?

(surly thats the f-ing point of taking them in - i didnt actually say that)

but i know i talked about how i couldnt do it myself because my hands were too sore to knot
he's going to look out the job sheet
ill go in next week

Write all the design specifications down on paper to give it to him in front of a witness, so that he cannot turn around and say you have not informed him blah blah blah?

That's what I would do in dealing with those with slippery shoulders.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Write all the design specifications down on paper to give it to him in front of a witness, so that he cannot turn around and say you have not informed him blah blah blah?

That's what I would do in dealing with those with slippery shoulders.

DK :))

will do
thank you DK
i learn all my lessons in life the hard way

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so.... i did my best to grow some

i went into the jewler to pick up a reapir and drop off the next one and then took my pearls out
the young lady tried to say they will be too long if they are knotted
im like they were knotted before and the pearls will be damaged if they are not knotted
a chap came from out the back and said they did send them away and its unusual they were not knotted
i said i dont feel safe wearing them as is now and that only one strand needed restringing
anyway
he sent them out on the 3pm courier
i hope i dont get another bill .....

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so.... i did my best to grow some

i went into the jewler to pick up a reapir and drop off the next one and then took my pearls out
the young lady tried to say they will be too long if they are knotted
im like they were knotted before and the pearls will be damaged if they are not knotted
a chap came from out the back and said they did send them away and its unusual they were not knotted
i said i dont feel safe wearing them as is now and that only one strand needed restringing
anyway
he sent them out on the 3pm courier
i hope i dont get another bill .....

Good for you!! I’m glad the second SA agreed with you, it IS unusual and they shouldn’t have given them to you like that! And you’d better not get another bill for a job so poorly done it had to be redone!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you!! I’m glad the second SA agreed with you, it IS unusual and they shouldn’t have given them to you like that! And you’d better not get another bill for a job so poorly done it had to be redone!!

i hope you are right Yssie
fingers crossed

mamong

Rough_Rock
After I read this thread last year, I bought some stringing materials and trained myself restringing a fresh water bracelet that had been laying for more than 10Y because I thought it wasn’t worth it to have it restring.
Today I have just finished restringing my necklace to replace the clasp.
I absolutely prefer the cleaner look of the strand without knots between the pearls so I just knotted the last 3 pearls on each end. The last knot is still ugly as I wasn’t confident enough to cut thread closer to the knot but overall I’m quite happy. I used a loop of single thread of griffin silk thread no. 2 pre-fitted with a needle. I may have been pushing it in term of caring and securing the pearls with only one single thread and without knots between all all pearls; I’ll see the impact next time I restring again.
So again, million thanks to D7BCEF2C-616D-4A1F-B910-D9567D0DD061.jpeg @cmwpearls and everyone here for generously sharing your knowledge x

Attachments

• 0814801F-53C5-471D-84D5-222711BFBBFD.jpeg
    0814801F-53C5-471D-84D5-222711BFBBFD.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 19
  • 42F3F60A-16AE-4C4D-BC1E-E3B8DE6530F5.jpeg
    42F3F60A-16AE-4C4D-BC1E-E3B8DE6530F5.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 20
  • AA862A95-DAA4-497C-8BA4-98FE6F61A98F.jpeg
    AA862A95-DAA4-497C-8BA4-98FE6F61A98F.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
some good news
was at work today
a lady came in wearing a very pretty multi coloured rope
i admired it and she took it off to show me
turn out she knotts pearls, can supply clasps and is local and does not cost a fortune
i now have her name and number

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I was going to suggest using bead bumpers like the Japanese necklaces .... but you found someone ! Even better !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
so ive been threading some beads to try out this new knotter i found
rang her yesterday and she isnt currently taking on new work because two weeks ago her mum had a heart attack and she is carring for her (the mum is ok but is elderly)
sigh
but she did recomend her brother who has the jewlery studio off the main street that my bus drives past every day
she says he is not exspensive

i just cant do it myself
my hands were so sore just threading the beads

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my goodness a year latter

:lol-2:

got my pearls back today
no charge and restrung
dont have my phone working so no pix
a bit scared to look at them
ive been a bit scared to pick them up

meanwhile found a new guy (a lot closer to a bus stop) who is stringing my Whitby jet and rose quartz for $45
i had completly missed the big sign in the window, repairs and redesigns welcome

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad they restrung them without charging!
Do look at them and tell us if they are ok!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
a bad photo
but im taking pictures with the laptop
i do still really like these - which is good
the knotts look good, not baggy and nice and tight
i do hate the catch though, i have really short nails and bad dexterioty but i dont want to have to get them restrung till i have to

WIN_20231109_12_33_06_Pro.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results