shape
carat
color
clarity

Really bad 'professional' restringing -need to vent- need to learn to knott asap now

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So yesterday was raining
A perfect pearl wearing day in my world
Got out my recently restrung 3 strand necklace and as i sat on the bed fiddling with the catch i became more and more unhappy

so this is a strand i brought for fun from Micheal Hill
But you know they probably still cost half a week's wages
So ok Its from Micheal Hill
half of NZ shop at Micheal hill

I didn't wear it
3 years latter after feeling encouraged to make more of an effort from being part of the PS community i wore it about 3 times last year - then the end came loose off one strand as i changed my shirt at work
i imangine it was caused by the thread being cut too close to the knott rather than being threaded back through a couple of neighbouring pearls
Luckily only one pearl came off and i found it in my clothes
Anyway this would not have been a problem if it was still in its one year warrenty
Alas it was not

and i did not want to have a go myself
The lady online i wanted to use was swamped over lockdowb and had temporarily stopped taking on new work till she caught up
So i took it to the local main street family long established local jewler (also the only option in my town)

Because they were just a fun piece (i actually am very found of) i asked for it to be restrung with the strand that needed fixing twisted around the others (Camilia the Dutchess of Cornwall wears some twisted like that)
So i supplied 3 loose pearls if they were needed to lengthen the strand

Well i got it back, nearly had a heart attack at the price, it wasn't twisted and all three strands had been restrung
I put it down to a leaening experience for me

Any way so yesterday i discovered all three strands are now not knotted
So two strands are now worse than before !
And its way too loose
i don't think its safe to wear it as is

Im going to have to grow some, and go back to the jewler and voice (calmly) my displeasure
20220531_103827.jpg 20220531_103915.jpg 20220531_103931.jpg

Attachments

• 20220531_103938.jpg
    20220531_103938.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 46

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
How can that shop not knowing that they need to knot between the pearls. If no knotting is required, I can ask my 6 years old daughter to string pearls.

I would be very angry if I were you too! They probably doesn't know how to do the job. I hope you can get your money back.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How can that shop not knowing that they need to knot between the pearls. If no knotting is required, I can ask my 6 years old daughter to string pearls.

I would be very angry if I were you too! They probably doesn't know how to do the job. I hope you can get your money back.

I was under the impression it was being send out to their pearl knotting lady ???
It certainly cost enough to have been an outsourced job

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry this happened to you; I share the frustration of receiving poor work from jewellers, and I hope they re-do them for you immediately! You deserve better!

I gotta be honest
I hate confrontation of any kind
Im chickening out ringing
i think i might just go in there on friday

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know even the cheapest pearls or fakes or any kind of beads just look better knotted
I bet Mrs Barbara Bush's fakes were beautifully knotted

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apart from Gary hospital appointments the only place i go is work
Due to covid we dont even go to the drive througj at McDonald's

and there is no way i can trust those to not get snagged and fall apart at work
So its completly not fit for purpose

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh. :???:;(

So you can prob twist them yourself by just twisting one end. But the lack of knots is a total dealbreaker for me, too. Definitely go back and ask for a refund - that’s a ridiculous “knotting” job :x2 The only reason to knot just the end three like they’ve done would be for teeny tiny seed pearls, where the knots would be nearly as big as the pearls, which is *clearly* not a reasonable excuse here!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took two strands of pearls to be professionally restrung as I was not able to do them at home due to the pets being around.

One had a basket clasp with 2in/5mm of smaller pearls at one end so that it could be worn in various lengths to suit an outfit.

I can't remember how they did it, however it was wrong, so it had to be restrung with specific instructions provided by me.

The other strand was a baroque Tahihian strand from PP, and they did it so that some of the more directional drop shaped ones were pointing in the wrong direction on a strand.

Whoever restrung that strand did not line the pearls up as they were removed from the original thread. Otherwise this would not have happened.

I was upset, and shan't use them again.

Therefore, I know exactly how you feel!

DK :(2

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you find you are scared of confrontation, write a letter setting out your problem. A 'proper' letter cannot be ignored and can be useful if you decide to take legal action. It seems as if the jeweller (who is the person who you have the contract with, even if they try to pass the buck to the knotter) has not done the job for which they were engaged and for which they were paid. This can be the basis of a claim, although I don't know the finer points of consumer law where you are.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you find you are scared of confrontation, write a letter setting out your problem. A 'proper' letter cannot be ignored and can be useful if you decide to take legal action. It seems as if the jeweller (who is the person who you have the contract with, even if they try to pass the buck to the knotter) has not done the job for which they were engaged and for which they were paid. This can be the basis of a claim, although I don't know the finer points of consumer law where you are.

Thank you
A letter is a good idea
tomorrow im not at work so maybe i email
i really want this amicably sorted out as where i live (a small provincial city off the beaten track) i dont have many choices of manufacturing jewlers and ive been happy with their work until this

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyway this whole sorry episode has hurried me along and ive reached out to the lady down south who specializes in fashion/ faux jewlery repairs and knotting pearls - she also works in stirling silver
I have already had an email back giving me an idea of the prices for knotting
$1 per cm min charge $50 and she has a selection of silver clasps
Im sending her my Whitby jet/ larmair necklace

cmwpearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why waste time and money when you can just restring yourself? Making knots requires no magic, all you need are needles and thread. Allow me to demonstrate how to thread your pearls logically.

1. Slip your clasp through the thread using your french wire if you have it to make it more attractive.
20220531_113143.jpg

2. Insert your first pearl and make two overhand knots.
20220531_113934.jpg

3. To save time, put all of your pearls on the thread.
20220531_115358.jpg

4. How do you tie a knot? Just tie an overhand knot between each pearls. Even babies can do it.
20220531_115427.jpg

5. Try to make knots as close to the pearls as possible. Each knot won't be perfect and will be loose, but don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Just pull the thread to tighten it, but don't break it.

20220531_115627.jpg

7. To complete your necklace/bracelet, put the end clasp in the thread with your french wire and form another overhand knot twice. If you want to make it more secure, use glue.
20220531_132932.jpg
Tadaaa!
20220531_133239.jpg

So, this is basically how I help people who don't have time to tie it themselves. It takes a bit of material, like 2 needles, a thread of size 30, and pearls with drill holes between 0.7mm and 0.8mm, but I mean long-lasting materials.
20220531_133417.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's good instructions. I keep meaning to learn two strand knotting and now I just might!

cmwpearls

Rough_Rock
Trade

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Why waste time and money when you can just restring yourself? Making knots requires no magic, all you need are needles and thread. Allow me to demonstrate how to thread your pearls logically.
Thank you for posting this - very helpful as I am about to restring a whole bunch of necklaces by hand rather than send them out. Cheers!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for posting this - very helpful as I am about to restring a whole bunch of necklaces by hand rather than send them out. Cheers!

remember that it really doesn't matter if the stringing isn't perfect first time. The pearls will be perfectly happy if you cut it up and start again. Practice makes skill and thread is cheap.

oceanblue

Shiny_Rock

1. Slip your clasp through the thread using your french wire if you have it to make it more attractive.
20220531_113143.jpg

20220531_113934.jpg

20220531_115358.jpg

4. How do you tie a knot? Just tie an overhand knot between each pearls. Even babies can do it.
20220531_115427.jpg

5. Try to make knots as close to the pearls as possible. Each knot won't be perfect and will be loose, but don't worry, it's not the end of the world. Just pull the thread to tighten it, but don't break it.

20220531_115627.jpg

7. To complete your necklace/bracelet, put the end clasp in the thread with your french wire and form another overhand knot twice. If you want to make it more secure, use glue.
20220531_132932.jpg
Tadaaa!
20220531_133239.jpg

So, this is basically how I help people who don't have time to tie it themselves. It takes a bit of material, like 2 needles, a thread of size 30, and pearls with drill holes between 0.7mm and 0.8mm, but I mean long-lasting materials.
20220531_133417.jpg

Thank you for posting, and the encouraging words, this makes it look so easy!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you @cmwpearls .
I will definatly give it a try once Gary has his last cataract opp opefully in two weeks
they arnt the ordinary run of the mill cataracts, his pupil is also stuck to the green part so his eye doesn't dilate so we live like vampires because bright light hurts him ....so we have to keep the curtain closed and use minimal lighting - its is a huge pain in the bum i tell you

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

20220531_113143.jpg

20220531_113934.jpg

20220531_115358.jpg

20220531_115427.jpg

20220531_115627.jpg

20220531_132932.jpg
Tadaaa!
20220531_133239.jpg

20220531_133417.jpg

Okay. Gotta ditto (thritto?). This is SUCH an awesome picture tutorial. Thank you for sharing @cmwpearls!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20220531_113143.jpg

20220531_113934.jpg

20220531_115358.jpg

20220531_115427.jpg

20220531_115627.jpg

20220531_132932.jpg
Tadaaa!
20220531_133239.jpg

20220531_133417.jpg

Many thanks! So well written and illustrated. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive woken up with a sty and its sore and i feel more grumpy

so trying to find a positive in all this
perhaps this is the kick in the butt i needed to learn to knot
im sure i can do what @cmwpearls showed but im not sure about the french wire part
And cmwpearls is dead right, its a waste of money
especially in the present economy when we have the highest inflation for 30 years and mortgage rates are rising

My fun 3 strand is a great candidate for DIY
I already said ive spent enough money on it
- on a cost by wear basis its running at well over $100

So a few weeks back i got these citrene beads for another project (that will require knotting) that they were subsequently too big for (10 or 12mm ?)
i could practice to knot on them ?
I don't know how to measure the hole but they already have two threads in them
I'll have to get the neadles and thread locally if i want to strike while the iron is hot as the exchange rate is ugly and the post is still painfully slow and exspensive from overseas 20220601_125346.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need silk/fancy thread to practice with. I used regular ol' heavy duty nylon. You do want beading needles, though, or you'll have a miserable time, but those should be very inexpensive. And you'll want a pair of tweezers or pliers as well. That's it to start! I've chatted with @Beaders Secret before, she's super sweet and down in your part of the world, I'd def start by reaching out to her.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the excellent stringing lesson. It's an interesting way to make the knot, I might give it a try and see if it is any easier . I've never tried the two needle method and not sure why it would be better than the doubled thread ? There are several methods of knotting so it's always interesting to see something different.

Bigger pearls are pretty easy it's the little ones....arrgggh ! I usually only knot every 5th pearl and use extra fine thread.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the excellent stringing lesson. It's an interesting way to make the knot, I might give it a try and see if it is any easier . I've never tried the two needle method and not sure why it would be better than the doubled thread ? There are several methods of knotting so it's always interesting to see something different.

Bigger pearls are pretty easy it's the little ones....arrgggh ! I usually only knot every 5th pearl and use extra fine thread.

Till probably try this before me so please pop back asap and tell us how it went .... and how it looked

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You don't need silk/fancy thread to practice with. I used regular ol' heavy duty nylon. You do want beading needles, though, or you'll have a miserable time, but those should be very inexpensive. And you'll want a pair of tweezers or pliers as well. That's it to start! I've chatted with @Beaders Secret before, she's super sweet and down in your part of the world, I'd def start by reaching out to her.
Thank you for the recommendation dear Yssie

How do you find her ?
@Beaders Secret
Oh my i love her spider :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:
Will tagging her make her appair ?
Is she allowed to give contact info ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Nylon - like the ' fishing line ' type ?
I have beading needles
i brought them with the intention of stringing my beads in order before i send them for stringing - in the order i like/ to save time and money

cmwpearls

Rough_Rock
Trade
I didn't think anyone would respond, so thank you all. I may have missed a lot of details, which, by the way, I'm still learning. I'd also like to share that if you don't have the right needles, it will be hard to get the thread through the holes. A very thin needle will help you do this. 20220602_095908.jpg
20220531_115159.jpg

I don't know which is better, but I think the one that saves you time is better. But in the end, it all comes down to tying knots between pearls. I also used extra-fine thread, which makes the knots smaller and prettier, but it broke easily when I tried to make a long and large pearls, heavy necklace, like an opera-length one. So, I use size 30 thread because it would be bad if the necklace broke while I was wearing it.
Ive woken up with a sty and its sore and i feel more grumpy

so trying to find a positive in all this
perhaps this is the kick in the butt i needed to learn to knot
im sure i can do what @cmwpearls showed but im not sure about the french wire part
And cmwpearls is dead right, its a waste of money
especially in the present economy when we have the highest inflation for 30 years and mortgage rates are rising

My fun 3 strand is a great candidate for DIY
I already said ive spent enough money on it
- on a cost by wear basis its running at well over $100

So a few weeks back i got these citrene beads for another project (that will require knotting) that they were subsequently too big for (10 or 12mm ?)
i could practice to knot on them ?
I don't know how to measure the hole but they already have two threads in them
I'll have to get the neadles and thread locally if i want to strike while the iron is hot as the exchange rate is ugly and the post is still painfully slow and exspensive from overseas 20220601_125346.jpg
For the French wire, you can buy it online. Just get one that is 1.0mm in size. Getting one that is bigger is fine, but it might not fit in some clasps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results