shape
carat
color
clarity

Reality does not match expectations

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lusted after a Bulgari Serpanti watch for years, and saw one that I like with diamonds and a black dial; and it is within my reach at long last in their duty free shop recently, and thought I should try in on.

Unfortunately, it sits too tight on my chunky wrist, and it is not adjustible.

It is not the first time I lusted after a watch to find it does not suit me. Georg Jenson's Vivianna is another.

Nevermind.

Earrings that sit too high/proud on my big fat earlobes are other examples.

Has anyone else lusted after a jewellery piece to find it does not suit them?

DK :))

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Not so much with jewelry thus far, but I found my "dream" wedding gown years ahead of the actual proposal, and once I finally got to try it on... it looked terrible on me! Thankfully, I found something that was much more flattering.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Definitely. Small rings, aside from bands, don't look right on my large hands. Larger rings cost more too, all other things being equal. :(

Big dangly earrings, on the other hand, look like they are wearing me, with my head and hair.

Also some medium to long necklaces always end up looped around one tata, making me appear a bit (more) demented lol.

Last edited:

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Definitely. Small rings, aside from bands, don't look right on my large hands. Larger rings cost more too, all other things being equal. :(

Big dangly earrings, on the other hand, look like they are wearing me, with my head and hair.

Also some medium to long necklaces always end up looped around one tata, making me appear a bit (more) demented lol.

I struggle with long chains also. Like in the 23" range, they fall right where the bottom of a v-neck shirt or an open collar would be so they sometimes fall hidden behind the shirt and never lay nicely. Suppose that could be solved by wearing different shirts with said chains but clearly I do not know how to neck mess :loopy:

I love acrostic rings, the secrecy of having to hide your sentiments in plain sight because it was just so forbidden to actually speak them. But I've tried a few on and I find they are just too colorful for me to wear at once. I like to stick to my safe colors (blue/green shades), occasionally red, and neutrals.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I consider this to be a “good problem” because usually it saves me money:lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not so much it rubbed against my fingers. More like I couldn't actually close up my hand because the stones were so big, lol.

And I thought there is no such thing as being too big on PS!

DK :lol-2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
VCA Perlee 3 row diamond bangle! So so gorgeous when I saw it on someone else but when I tried it just looked odd on me.

5 ct MRB diamond - there is actually such a thing as too big… I felt like I was wearing a doorknob and that says something when I’ve got man hands.

Anything pastel. Like pad sapphires, light pinks, etc. Just really not my color.

Golden pearls. Pinked akoyas…

There must be others but these for now.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
The 2 carat MRB that I wanted SO BAD when I was in my early twenties. I upgraded the really pretty 1 carat my awesome husband proposed with, then after a few weeks, the novelty wore off and I hardly wore the thing.

I fell in love with AVRs and was thinking about upgrading my LGD 1.2 ct AVR to a 1.5 or 1.7. I bought a cheap round moissy off of Etsy to test the size and am so grateful to have done so because I could tell as soon as I put it on that it would not get much wear. We’ll see what happens in the future.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hoops. My ears sit close to my head and my piercings are angled outwards so I look like simbad the sailor :wall:
No diamond hoops for me as they would not look good.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Like @icy_jade I did not care for the 5-7 carat MRB on me. I'd thought that would be my choice, but nope. Other shapes in the same carat weight were fine tho....

cheers--Sharon

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Like @icy_jade I did not care for the 5-7 carat MRB on me. I'd thought that would be my choice, but nope. Other shapes in the same carat weight were fine tho....

cheers--Sharon

I’d force myself to get used to it :lol:

Isn’t that funny that other shapes look fine, the 10.5 ct emeral cut I tried on at Sothebys I ‘think’ I could’ve got away with (if I’d have the $$$$$) :mrgreen:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d force myself to get used to it :lol:

Isn’t that funny that other shapes look fine, the 10.5 ct emeral cut I tried on at Sothebys I ‘think’ I could’ve got away with (if I’d have the $$$$$) :mrgreen:

For sure!! My old 5.01 radiant (6.25 ctw ring) was the perfect size! I could handle a big emerald or asscher as well!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been surprised at most of the things I tend to like IRL versus online. What suits someone else doesn’t suit me - who’d have thunk! :roll:

I’ve struck gold on a few “cold purchases” but have mostly made costly mistakes a few times before I got it right :lol:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! I desperately wanted a pair of chunky bezel set old mine cut diamond studs (1ctw). They were terribly uncomfortable on my thin lobes. I couldn’t stand to wear them so I sold them. I definitely learned my lesson that earrings are not my thing.

Kya

Shiny_Rock
Hoops. My ears sit close to my head and my piercings are angled outwards so I look like simbad the sailor :wall:

I was just coming on to say this!

Here and there I try on a pair with wishful thinking. But facts are facts, no diamond hoops for me .

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

I was just coming on to say this!

Here and there I try on a pair with wishful thinking. But facts are facts, no diamond hoops for me .

Maybe you can get those hoops that are actually studs, but angled so that they sit well on the ears and don’t stick out.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hahaha mine are studs. they look weird in my ears to me but nice on others. i have to wear hoops or dangles.

also eternity bands - so elegant looking but i hate how they feel on my hand. hoping i just haven't met the right one yet. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results