shape
carat
color
clarity

Reality check on engagement ring drawing

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanting a plain solitaire is pretty much a "don't reinvent the wheel" sort of situation.
x1000.

Custom is for when what you want isn’t available outright or with small tweaks to an existing design, and you are completely confident in what you want.

What you want here... It actually probably does need to be a custom job, if what you’re showing us is exactly what your heart wants above all else (and you’re the one who’s going to be wearing it). But all of us are questioning whether this design, even with your changes, is fundamentally actually what you want above all else, now and in future. Because even with those changes it will read as a $500 stock ring - not a very pricey custom job.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash, Victor Canera (Bliss line) and James Allen have a lot of pretty, simple solitaires for even less than 1k!

I think @distracts saying "don't reinvent the wheel" is bang on. There are SOOOOOO many simple solitaires. In fact, so many that it might be overwhelming. They aren't all equal, but you are bound to find something.

I am sure folks here would be happy to help you find a stock setting if you like!

Yeah. I fully understand the desire to feel like you've really participated in the design process and have something unique and special that you had artistic input into - but with a relatively basic solitaire, all you're doing is creating more work for yourself, making things more expensive, and introducing an element of uncertainty that wouldn't be there if you picked an existing design. Plus if you're going with more or less a basic solitaire, well, you're not getting something unique, and there's no use pretending that you are. Not everything has to be unique and one of a kind in order to be beautiful. Custom work is best saved for cases when you really do want something that doesn't exist out there in fifty thousand forms already.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
Oh boy, with the messages to walk away - not exactly what I was expecting.

I guess I had considered a few of the designs similar to those in post #24, and the last one in #26... then got drawn to the more 'open' sides of the current design I'm going after.

Else, I'm pretty happy with the last pic in my post #11 (re-attached here for ease of reference).

cbe24f37-adb2-44bf-95d2-5feb60dcf86f.JPG

But all of these designs look very similar and a little boring. That said, I hear you about not reinventing the wheel which might very well be what I'm inadvertently doing (by looking at so many 'designed' rings, I've reworked it to become a presentation ring!).

Edit: so it seems like the majority would probably find the ring above much better than say the one below:
Untitled 3.jpg

For comparison, the friend I knew did something like this at the same shop, for US$2.7k.

IMG_8013.jpg

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I guess I had considered a few of the designs similar to those in post #24, and the last one in #26... then got drawn to the more 'open' sides of the current design I'm going after.

Else, I'm pretty happy with the last pic in my post #11 (re-attached here for ease of reference).

But all of these designs look very similar and a little boring. That said, I hear you about not reinventing the wheel which might very well be what I'm inadvertently doing (by looking at so many 'designed' rings, I've reworked it to become a presentation ring!).

For comparison, the friend I knew did something like this at the same shop, for US$2.7k.

IMG_8013.jpg

The one you like is imo the most attractive out of the ones you posted as inspiration.

Re: your friend's ring: oh jesus. Choices were made.

"But all of these designs look very similar and a little boring."

Yes, but what you are designing also is similar and a little boring. If you want a plain six-prong solitaire, it just IS going to be similar and a little boring. That's the nature of the type of ring you're choosing. If you want something more exciting, you're going to need to branch out from a plain solitaire.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The design you attached is very pretty and essentially a tiffany style solitaire. This will cost under 1k and you can get it stock.

PS. oh my god your friends ring. I have to be honest. The quality is awful. beyond awful. Please do not use this jeweler.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

IMG_8013.jpg

You 2nd choice setting is very similar to this at Ivy and Rose (there are some obvious differences, but this is for price point - id expect this style you like to be under 1k but not necessarily this low)

I also would consider these settings with floral motifs below very "luxe" - maybe they aren't your style but wanted to share

You are seeking an oxymoron...a classic solitaire that isn't...a classic look?

You could easily skip the milgrain

1623950239718.png

this is fully handforged and 2.8k

1623950332359.png

1623950401895.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit: so it seems like the majority would probably find the ring above much better than say the one below:
Untitled 3.jpg

IMG_8013.jpg

And yes the second inspiration pic you posted here is a much more utilitarian solitaire that you can easily get for like $250. No need to go custom at all for that. If you want the shank to be a little more tapered or something, just have them alter it.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
The design you attached is very pretty and essentially a tiffany style solitaire. This will cost under 1k and you can get it stock.

PS. oh my god your friends ring. I have to be honest. The quality is awful. beyond awful. Please do not use this jeweler.

Haha let's hope my friend doesn't see the comment about the ring @distracts

Out of curiosity, design aside which is subjective (which I personally find too busy), what areas do you fault to make that a poor quality piece?

I'll add that I was going to come up with an 'advanced draft'/near final design, and have my S.O. come in to make changes she sees fit afterwards before the ring is fabricated.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
You 2nd choice setting is very similar to this at Ivy and Rose (there are some obvious differences, but this is for price point - id expect this style you like to be under 1k but not necessarily this low)

I also would consider these settings with floral motifs below very "luxe" - maybe they aren't your style but wanted to share

You are seeking an oxymoron...a classic solitaire that isn't...a classic look?

You could easily skip the milgrain

1623950239718.png

this is fully handforged and 2.8k

1623950332359.png

1623950401895.png

Thanks for sharing these. Indeed personally not a fan of fancy curves and obvious floral patterns. Not for an E.R. anyway (I don't think), but certainly possible for a more casual occasion.

If I were to ask the shop how their rings are made (hand forged, etc.), is there one particular method I should be looking for?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Out of curiosity, design aside which is subjective (which I personally find too busy), what areas do you fault to make that a poor quality piece?

I'll add that I was going to come up with an 'advanced draft'/near final design, and have my S.O. come in to make changes she sees fit afterwards before the ring is fabricated.

Why wouldn't you include your SO earlier? Are you the ring wearer? If she is - what if she doesn't like the style? Why the concern about "boring" - what does she want?

I'm a bit confused - if you are the ring wearer this makes more sense

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok I was being more polite than lovedogs but. The pave work is sloppy. You can see that the beads holding the diamonds in are different sizes and shapes. No. Just no. You can see in this image that the tables of the diamonds are not creating a smooth curve up the prong - some are tilted more one way and some more another way. Also no. This is sloppy pave work. The whole thing looks structurally unsound - setting a diamond that high off the finger is pretty much guaranteeing it is going to get knocked, and pave prongs along with a pave collar - something is going to break. The whole thing is also just ungainly and not elegant looking.

If I were to ask the shop how their rings are made (hand forged, etc.), is there one particular method I should be looking for?

For the amount of control you want over the design, you want something that is CAD and cast because you are going to want to be able to make tweaks to the design before it even gets to metal. Hand-forged eliminates the ability to do that.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
Why wouldn't you include your SO earlier? Are you the ring wearer? If she is - what if she doesn't like the style? Why the concern about "boring" - what does she want?

I'm a bit confused - if you are the ring wearer this makes more sense

I'd like to involve her in the design, but before then, I'd still like to show some effort in coming up with what I think would suit her - and then she can tear the design the pieces after. :rolleyes: (she also doesn't have a very strong opinion, so it'd help finalising things if I gave the initial idea)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to slow down. Stop and ask your GF what *she* wants. You are making this incredibly complicated when it does not need to be. If she wants a 6 prong solitaire that is tiffany style, get a stock piece. If she wants something else, get something else. But not matter what, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not work with this jeweler. I cannot emphasize that enough. Their work is horrible (as per your pics of your friend's ring), and they are charging you a 2.5k for a $250 stock ring.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
I think you need to slow down. Stop and ask your GF what *she* wants. You are making this incredibly complicated when it does not need to be. If she wants a 6 prong solitaire that is tiffany style, get a stock piece. If she wants something else, get something else. But not matter what, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not work with this jeweler. I cannot emphasize that enough. Their work is horrible (as per your pics of your friend's ring), and they are charging you a 2.5k for a $250 stock ring.

Oops, I thought I posted duplicate and deleted my last reply. Looks like it wasn't duplicate and now I have to retype...!

Looks like I'll need to sit over this a bit and rethink, as you say. I would feel wrong to just walk away though. They did spend the time to talk me through stones (though I did get a stone through them in the end, albeit of a stone I found online myself). They've also spent around 2 hours since, talking through the design phase. Is it really okay to just walk away like that? They had not asked for a non-refundable deposit (or any deposit) for the design. The stone has been fully paid for and in my possession...

On the couple of unfinished rings they showed me, simple solitaires like the 1st pic in post #33 above, they looked fine though...

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I would just buy a setting that's already done. Quite a few have been linked.

Is this for you, for your forever setting or for someone else? If for someone else, I absolutley would not
The one you like is imo the most attractive out of the ones you posted as inspiration.

Re: your friend's ring: oh jesus. Choices were made.

"But all of these designs look very similar and a little boring."

Yes, but what you are designing also is similar and a little boring. If you want a plain six-prong solitaire, it just IS going to be similar and a little boring. That's the nature of the type of ring you're choosing. If you want something more exciting, you're going to need to branch out from a plain solitaire.

Run! From this shop. The quality of that is awful. You can get a nicer setting in silver and CZ from shopping channels.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oops, I thought I posted duplicate and deleted my last reply. Looks like it wasn't duplicate and now I have to retype...!

Looks like I'll need to sit over this a bit and rethink, as you say. I would feel wrong to just walk away though. They did spend the time to talk me through stones (though I did get a stone through them in the end, albeit of a stone I found online myself). They've also spent around 2 hours since, talking through the design phase. Is it really okay to just walk away like that? They had not asked for a non-refundable deposit (or any deposit) for the design. The stone has been fully paid for and in my possession...

On the couple of unfinished rings they showed me, simple solitaires like the 1st pic in post #33 above, they looked fine though...

Just walk away. If you feel bad that you used up some of their time, I would pay them just a flat fee for their time. I don't know where you are located, but frankly in the United States I probably wouldn't pay them more than a $200 consultation fee if you really feel bad.

However myself I would pay them nothing.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I'd like to involve her in the design, but before then, I'd still like to show some effort in coming up with what I think would suit her - and then she can tear the design the pieces after. :rolleyes: (she also doesn't have a very strong opinion, so it'd help finalising things if I gave the initial idea)

But you aren't really involving her in the design at all. It's going to put pressure on her to like whatever you've racked your brain over. What if she hates it and doesn't say anything to spare your feelings? I would be irritated and uncomfortable if my SO took this approach TBH but I am also someone who would expect to have a say in what I am supposed to wear and love everyday because we have a mutual partnership. I don't mean to be harsh but you are going down a real rabbit hole and it doesn't seem like you've had a conversation with her about her preferences (I could be very wrong here)

I toooootally get wanting to show your best effort. Of course I do. I think that's the way it should be. But maybe show some of the settings you've found, and just see what she even likes first. Has she even mentioned a solitaire? Etc. Go ring shopping together, make a fun, romantic date. I am sure there are countless blogs on how to go about this, and you've got hundreds of women on this forum who'd probably be happy to give ideas

To me, having a conversation and thoughtfully considering her preferences is an incredibly warm gesture, interpreting her REAL desires, moreso than coming up with what you think is the most perfect-unique-classic-not-too-classic solitaire in a vacuum and then putting her in the uncomfortable position of critiquing it. I don't know your dynamic at all and I am making a lot of assumptions but i would take one big step back and actually involve her in this and show her you care about she thinks, not what you think.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are hiring them, and they didn't provide you with anything useful. If you feel badly, pay them some kind of flat fee for their time. DO NOT work with someone who does bad work simply because you feel guilty.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
But you aren't really involving her in the design at all. It's going to put pressure on her to like whatever you've racked your brain over. What if she hates it and doesn't say anything to spare your feelings? I would be irritated and uncomfortable if my SO took this approach TBH but I am also someone who would expect to have a say in what I am supposed to wear and love everyday because we have a mutual partnership. I don't mean to be harsh but you are going down a real rabbit hole and it doesn't seem like you've had a conversation with her about her preferences (I could be very wrong here)

I toooootally get wanting to show your best effort. Of course I do. I think that's the way it should be. But maybe show some of the settings you've found, and just see what she even likes first. Has she even mentioned a solitaire? Etc. Go ring shopping together, make a fun, romantic date. I am sure there are countless blogs on how to go about this, and you've got hundreds of women on this forum who'd probably be happy to give ideas

To me, having a conversation and thoughtfully considering her preferences is an incredibly warm gesture, interpreting her REAL desires, moreso than coming up with what you think is the most perfect-unique-classic-not-too-classic solitaire in a vacuum and then putting her in the uncomfortable position of critiquing it. I don't know your dynamic at all and I am making a lot of assumptions but i would take one big step back and actually involve her in this and show her you care about she thinks, not what you think.

I agree with this. I'm not even sure if your partner likes this type of ring. Absolutely no offense meant to anyone that likes simple solitaires, but they are not for me. I would dislike a simple solitaire immensely. And I would be really upset if I learned that my other half had spent that amount of money on something that I hated. If what was spent was more like $300, okay, fine it's a temporary setting. But you are paying a tremendous amount of money for something that you don't even know if she's going to like, and that looks like it's going to have terrible craftsmanship. You are literally setting money on fire if you go with this vendor.

Just make it easy and pick a stock setting from somewhere. Or order one on the internet.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitaire doesn’t have to be “boring”. You can pick prong tips, # of prongs, engraving on the top or sides, personal message on the inside of the shank, endless basket styles, metal color, mixed metals, shiny - brushed - matte finish, knife edge, cathedral, hidden gems in the shank, milgrain, etc. There are a lot of options without feeling like you have to start from scratch. You can make this feel special for her, if she still wants a solitaire after you talk to her.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
Regarding the suggestion of involving her more, and the solitaire setting, without delving into the details, I do think it will suit her the most and the setting which she would prefer. The beauty of the approach is that she can completely scrap my idea and do something completely different if she doesn't like it, because I will only be presenting the idea, and not the finished product. No money goes to waste. Only thing wasted will be my time and effort in coming up with the design (reinventing the wheel, as it seems). I'd like to involve her, but not to the extent that she draws from scratch and I just sit back and do nothing. I do have some comfort about the solitaire.

As for the shop, they've made a reasonable name for themselves locally over the past 15 years. Their work product images on their website appear decent to me. I'd be happy to PM (if that's available, I don't actually see the messaging option) their details to anyone here who would like to take a look. Just don't want to post it publicly here, as this thread wasn't intended to name and shame anyone. I would of course appreciate any of your experienced views.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I would feel wrong to just walk away though. They did spend the time to talk me through stones (though I did get a stone through them in the end, albeit of a stone I found online myself). They've also spent around 2 hours since, talking through the design phase. Is it really okay to just walk away like that? They had not asked for a non-refundable deposit (or any deposit) for the design. The stone has been fully paid for and in my possession...

It's fine. Really. Just thank them and say it's too far out of budget and not what you envisioned, but you appreciate their time. Give them a bottle of wine or other token of thanks if it makes you feel better (though I wouldn't bother). They've already made money from the diamond sale, so even less reason to feel guilty!

Over here it's common for tradesmen to over-quote for jobs they don't really want, and/or for clients they think (fairly or unfairly) will be a PITA. They may not be that surprised (or disappointed) when you say thanks but no thanks ;-)

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
It's fine. Really. Just thank them and say it's too far out of budget and not what you envisioned, but you appreciate their time. Give them a bottle of wine or other token of thanks if it makes you feel better (though I wouldn't bother). They've already made money from the diamond sale, so even less reason to feel guilty!

Over here it's common for tradesmen to over-quote for jobs they don't really want, and/or for clients they think (fairly or unfairly) will be a PITA. They may not be that surprised (or disappointed) when you say thanks but no thanks ;-)

Haha well they quoted $2k the first time we met (before we even met, actually), based on the referral. Certainly not based on any PITA actions of mine (if any). tradesmen would do the same here too (over quote if they didn't want to do it).

I suppose it's not an issue to bring a loose Stoke to another jeweller? They won't be less inclined to take up the job?

I'm sitting on the fence about leaving them though. The designer/sales hasn't been that great but I'm rather trusting of their 15 years history here, the founder seemingly quite reputable in the trade locally.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the suggestion of involving her more, and the solitaire setting, without delving into the details, I do think it will suit her the most and the setting which she would prefer. The beauty of the approach is that she can completely scrap my idea and do something completely different if she doesn't like it, because I will only be presenting the idea, and not the finished product. No money goes to waste. Only thing wasted will be my time and effort in coming up with the design (reinventing the wheel, as it seems). I'd like to involve her, but not to the extent that she draws from scratch and I just sit back and do nothing. I do have some comfort about the solitaire.

As for the shop, they've made a reasonable name for themselves locally over the past 15 years. Their work product images on their website appear decent to me. I'd be happy to PM (if that's available, I don't actually see the messaging option) their details to anyone here who would like to take a look. Just don't want to post it publicly here, as this thread wasn't intended to name and shame anyone. I would of course appreciate any of your experienced views.

It's one thing to select a stock setting as a starting place.

It's another to drive yourself bonkers with customizations that you don't even know she will care about.

This isn't about sitting back and letting her do all the work. You are misunderstanding the recommendation to involve her entirely. Make it a joint decision. I'm sure you have some sense of her preferences, but...

How would it not make her a bit uncomfortable knowing you spent hours, soliciting feedback from internet strangers, working on a CAD, and only at the very end stages, asked for her feedback, and what if she doesn't care for it, or even if she LOVES it...wouldn't it be nice to make this something you do together? Don't you care about her opinion on this? Why is showing "how hard you worked to please her" more important than her liking it?

I just don't understand, to be honest.

As for the business, a history of success means nothing if you don't have a good experience. But you do you.

gemmygemgem

Rough_Rock
It's one thing to select a stock setting as a starting place.

It's another to drive yourself bonkers with customizations that you don't even know she will care about.

This isn't about sitting back and letting her do all the work. You are misunderstanding the recommendation to involve her entirely. Make it a joint decision. I'm sure you have some sense of her preferences, but...

How would it not make her a bit uncomfortable knowing you spent hours, soliciting feedback from internet strangers, working on a CAD, and only at the very end stages, asked for her feedback, and what if she doesn't care for it, or even if she LOVES it...wouldn't it be nice to make this something you do together? Don't you care about her opinion on this? Why is showing "how hard you worked to please her" more important than her liking it?

I just don't understand, to be honest.

As for the business, a history of success means nothing if you don't have a good experience. But you do you.

I don't feel comfortable talking about the relationship dynamics here but point taken.

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
i mean this kindly, but I am a bit concerned about both your ability to distinguish between quality vs poor quality work as well as your ability to push back on shoddily executed work (ie, you are feeling guilt about the idea of walking away from this particular jeweler, despite multiple seasoned jewelry experts telling you to run, not walk.). For example, the ring that belong to your friend, which was made by this jeweler. It it not well made, yet it seems you cannot see why we see.

Working with a jeweler for a custom piece is not easy. It can be quite challenging. You get the best results when you have a strong point of view combined with a jeweler who can execute top notch work.

From reading this thread, I can’t help but feel that you are overly romanticizing the idea of designing a “custom” rather basic solitaire for the sake of bragging rights on all the efforts of going custom/presenting your intended with the efforts of your labor, when you could obtain practically the same ring from a catalog and at higher quality/a cheaper price. That’s not the right motivation for going custom.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS doesn’t have PM/DM functionality.

The friend’s ring... It’s not the worst thing we’ve ever seen but it’s not well made either. It’s what happens when a mediocre jeweller tries to design and create something that requires mastery to execute properly - you get the general idea of what they were going for, but the details are sloppy.

Your design will be much simpler to execute on - far fewer details. So that’s good, if you decide to stay with your current vendor. I will echo the recommendation to put the stone into a true stock solitaire for the proposal and then work on the final design together. You can certainly show her the work you’ve done thus far and use that as a starting point! Doing it this way has the advantage of having no monetary investment backing the decision - the jewellery world will be your oyster :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need to finalize the design before getting her opinion.

Literally show her the first pics in Post #33 (not your friend's ring but the 2 you posted), and ask "do you like this style for an engagement ring, or is there something else you'd prefer? I want you to love it.". See what she says.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I don't feel comfortable talking about the relationship dynamics here but point taken.

Totalllly not meaning to pry about relationship dynamics at all. It's absolutely none of my business!

I just think looping her in earlier will make everyone happier, or doing what others have recommended and getting a temp presentation setting

Edit -- I feel as I have come off as giving unsolicited relationship advice, that was not my intent at all. You asked for advice on a ring design, and it's important that the wearer is involved from my vantage point to make informed decisions especially for a bespoke setting. It's a fool's errand to hem and haw over details that may be undesired in the first place. That's a very stressful, expensive path that can result in a lot of blunders (can you tell I have made poor decisions about custom designs? :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have time to read all the posts. But please, as others have likely advised you, please pay this jeweler for their design time and tell them you’ve decided to go in another direction. The friend’s ring is really bad.

The cad was a disaster. Totally like a $250 stock setting. You couldn’t wear a wedding band with it without destroying the prongs and the band. There’s no reason to go custom for the last setting you said you liked. Order one from James Allen and have your local jeweler set it. I don’t know where you bought your diamond, but you should have let them set it in an inexpensive solitaire and then let her choose what she likes. It would be insane to spend $2000 on what you’re looking at.

If you had just asked here before going forward, we could have helped you solve this before you spent all this time and money. I just hope you heed the advice to back out now. People here can help you get a solitaire for under $1000.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results