Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Ready to propose...just need to find a ring!

JRING

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
6
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to start off by thanking the community for all the wonderful information on here. I've been researching for the last few weeks trying to figure out how to get the best engagement ring I can afford. I have a trip to Europe coming up in May and I couldn't think of a better time to propose. I wanted to purchase a ring before prices start to get higher and at the same time give myself some time to browse through inventories.

Thanks to all the info everyone has provided I have narrowed down the 4Cs that will help give me the "best bang for the buck": round 1.2+ carat SI2 H (Hoping to get the best cut possible since cut is king). My budget is $9K for the diamond and setting(can push it to 10K for the right stone) To give you a little bit more info about my gf, for her size is the most important and I don't think she has much understanding about everything else except sparkle :) She's mentioned she wants a halo type of setting, based on her likes she would love something like this:
http://www.adiamor.com/Engagement-Rings/Halo/French-Cut-Halo-For-Round-Diamond/14KWhiteGold/1672

I've been looking at WF and JA- with ACA and H&A stones I won't be able to get closer to the size I am looking for with my budget. So I'm asking for help from the experts on trying to find an excellent cut that will help squeeze out a bit more size.


http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-881865

What do you guys think?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I really like that one! Put it on hold.

JA has a couple halos that may work for your budget and they are having a 15% off sale.
 

JRING

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
6
I must have missed it earlier, but it has a strong blue fluorescence. Do you think that will cause any problems?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
JRING|1454034094|3983329 said:
I must have missed it earlier, but it has a strong blue fluorescence. Do you think that will cause any problems?

Unlikey, but the gemologist at JA would be able to tell you if it's overblue. They just need to check it out for you.
 

JRING

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
6
I was initially worried about color "I" appearing too yellowish against G's in a halo. But that ring looks amazing! I may give I's a second look, might be able to push into that 1.3-1.4 range. Thanks! In the mean time I think I will lock in the the stone above with the JA falling edge halo and return if I find something better.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
JRING|1454091647|3983633 said:
I was initially worried about color "I" appearing too yellowish against G's in a halo. But that ring looks amazing! I may give I's a second look, might be able to push into that 1.3-1.4 range. Thanks! In the mean time I think I will lock in the the stone above with the JA falling edge halo and return if I find something better.

As long as the stone is not overblue, I think that's a great choice. Also, minute changes in spread (dimensions) will be obscured by a halo setting. So a 6.4 stone and a 6.6 stone in a solitaire, you would be able to see the spread difference. But in a halo, those are basically going to alike. So don't go down in color unless the spread difference is going to be significant.
 

JRING

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
6
Thanks for all the help Gypsy! I took a stroll through DD in NYC just to get an idea of what that differences would be in terms of color from G-I and size. I really wanted to go see I.D., but they are closed on the weekend...I found another jeweler who had good reviews. I took a look at a few diamonds from 1.15-1.25 and I honestly couldn't see much of a difference once in a halo format. The jeweler suggested I use a loupe and Idealscope to see how big of an impact cut has on a diamond. I looked at a few idealscope images of H & A and wow, the amount of shine and sparkle from a well cut diamond vs. anything less than ideal or excellent was pretty significant.

So i ordered the above diamond in a cushion outline halo from JA. I'm going to wait and see how it longs in person, but I am strongly considering maybe getting something in the 1.15-1.2 ct and staying in the H-I range to get a H&A or AGS0. (I didn't see a huge difference with an I with a well cut diamond). Thoughts?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
JRING|1454269328|3984733 said:
Thanks for all the help Gypsy! I took a stroll through DD in NYC just to get an idea of what that differences would be in terms of color from G-I and size. I really wanted to go see I.D., but they are closed on the weekend...I found another jeweler who had good reviews. I took a look at a few diamonds from 1.15-1.25 and I honestly couldn't see much of a difference once in a halo format. The jeweler suggested I use a loupe and Idealscope to see how big of an impact cut has on a diamond. I looked at a few idealscope images of H & A and wow, the amount of shine and sparkle from a well cut diamond vs. anything less than ideal or excellent was pretty significant.

So i ordered the above diamond in a cushion outline halo from JA. I'm going to wait and see how it longs in person, but I am strongly considering maybe getting something in the 1.15-1.2 ct and staying in the H-I range to get a H&A or AGS0. (I didn't see a huge difference with an I with a well cut diamond). Thoughts?

I think they are both paths to a fantastic ring. You have no bad options. Get the one you ordered then take it for a spin and take it to the jewelers around you. And then decide.

I agree on the I color in an ideal cut being quite white.
 

JRING

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
6
Thanks for all the help, Gypsy!! The ring finally came in and it looks beautiful, even better than I imagined. Let me know what you guys think. It was hard getting good images so they may seem a bit blurry.

2016-02-16_19.jpg

20160216_190542.jpg

20160216_192921.jpg
 

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 15, 2014
Messages
4,274
Most people on PS recommend Jewelers Mutual for insurance. I have mine insured under my homeowners/umbrella policy.

Your ring is beautiful. You did a great job but of course when Gypsy is involved, it always turns out to be just right!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.

New posts

Top