shape
carat
color
clarity

Ready to Buy

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it looks like they don't offer idealscope or ASET for the two J stones you mentioned, but I'm going to get video and magnified images. The guy did say he was concerned about the inclusions in the table affecting light performance but we'll see.

If dealing with B2C, they do offer full imaging. Just some stones have to be purchased with a 30 day return policy to get them there. It depends on their relationship with the specific vendor. See post #22 above where Brian @ B2C clarified this is more detail.

Based on what I'm seeing I wouldn't think the 1.24 J with dual certs would have LP issues but they may have access to more and better data.

Honestly it sounds like you are sweet on the other stone, and that's cool. Post the ASET and IS images so we can review. They will tell us if she's a performer or not and if she is then no need to waste time with these other options. We can take guesses all day long but those images trump HCA scores, and numbers.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Maybe, the representative didn't say that, only that the people currently holding the stone couldn't do it. I'm more concerned about the visual appearance under magnification. Here's what they gave me. I know many people here will likely pooh-pooh it as having too much leakage but I like it and it seems good enough performance to me. But I do like those other stones and the price is definitely right. I'd be less likely to buy if the inclusions stand out when magnified though, even if the light performance is better. Personal preference. I don't think either she or I will notice the subtleties in cut and performance others here do. 2346597552(1).jpg 2346597552(2).jpg

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Did some snooping and found the stone you loved listed on some website I’d never heard of. The picture looks like it wasn’t done that well since the stone looks a mess but I can’t see any major inclusions on the table like I worried about. I’ll see what images I get from B2C to see if it’s any better. Definitely could be worth looking at.

EDIT: It is late and I am tired. Those are just a sample image and video. (A sample video? Really? Never seen that.) Will post images when I get them.

Last edited:

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Huh, those two stones at B2C shot up $100 and $200 in price since yesterday. Maybe they keep track of where they’re linked and how often they’re viewed. Unlikely they’d honor the original price I suppose.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @sledge ! I really like that Blue Nile stone I posted earlier, particularly since I found it myself, but those other two J’s you posted seem like really good candidates too, as long as they look good when I see them magnified, since she’ll be looking at the magnification too. B2C was able to find that same stone BN had and is offering it to me cheaper (technically same price since I have a $100 coupon for BN) except they charge for the appraisal. But I live close enough to NY that I could see it in person and have them walk me through it. They also gave me an ASET and idealscope, though I’ve still not been 100% convinced of their usefulness. I like that stone in a personal way though so it’ll take something really nice to get me to change my mind. I do like that yours are cheaper though haha.

@Ambrose I’m intrigued by your comment that you like the stone in a personal way... may I ask what that is?
On that note, I do believe there’s something that is drawing you to that stone, like you just have a certain feeling about it. Sometimes it’s just about a feeling we have for something!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting the images.

They are pretty good actually, when you try to adjust for backlighting. To do that you use the table reflection I circled in blue as a reference point. The light pink you see there you then use to look around the rest of the stone. As you go around you will see the vast majority is backlighting.

There are some potential areas around 5-6 o'clock that I circled in yellow. However trying to adjust back to the reference point, it is over emphasized. So it's not as bad there as it looks.

20200219_052821.jpg

When viewing the ASET, you will notice the table reflection is green. This is because the pavilion mains are 40.75 or less. If they were 40.77 or higher they would be red.

While we don't have a detailed SARIN report that tells us the actual values of all 8 pavilion angles, this is useful info, as a slightly shallower pavilion would play a little nicer with a steep crown.

Anyhow if you use the table reflection as a reference point again you will get to the same conclusion as the IS, except it's a little harder to balance the light green against light pink. And IMO, the ASET shows the minor leakage at 4-5 o'clock more clearly.

Also as we scan the diamond you will notice a few small slivers of green that I circled in blue. This is minor overall but shows a few spots of less intense light return (0-45 degrees). This can add some contrast to the stone which some people like.

These slivers in conjunction with the black areas show some very minor painting of the pavilion. Not all areas were circled in black but rather just a few to illustrate my point. Notice how they are a little thicker than others?

Lastly there is some crown painting that occurred in the yellow circle. Again, minor stuff.

While I've tried to point out everything I would like to restress all this is minor. This is a very nice stone, and way better than the vast majority out there. With your desire for high clarity I think it's a good fit for you, and one I believe to be a good purchase.

20200219_055450.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh, those two stones at B2C shot up $100 and $200 in price since yesterday. Maybe they keep track of where they’re linked and how often they’re viewed. Unlikely they’d honor the original price I suppose.

Actually I think this is my fault. I found the stone using the PS search function. When I posted the links I cleaned them up to exclude all the referring site (PS) links.

My guess is there's a small discount being applied. I'm sure if you mention this they honor it. Otherwise, I will find them again and post the full link.

Sorry. :(2

L

lydial

I really like the first one I posted. Here’s the cert and idealscope. I know it’s not a “super ideal” but frankly it’s really close and the price is $500 less than the super ideal from Blue Nile. Idealscope shows some minor light leakage on the left I think but I doubt it’s something she or I would notice.

AA8EB1C9-09DE-40F8-B4E7-5032BEA1C11F.jpeg 451729D2-0BD1-4A88-A79D-C79C7ECED366.png

I like the look of the blue nile better.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Yeah, you're right - I found the stones on the PS search tool and they had the prices you named. Haven't seen that with any other site. B2C is offering me great service and images but I wish they'd drop their price a bit. With my $100 discount code I can get the same stone from BN for $50 cheaper than they're offering with an appraisal included. B2C is charging $70 extra for the appraisal. But at the same time the personal assistance and the fact that I can get the stone in person and examine it with their tools and a jeweler or gemologist is a large boost to the usefulness. So it's a tradeoff I guess.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool. Glad you got that sorted.

I understand and respect that every dollar counts. If the small difference is troubling to you I'd reach out to B2C and ask them to price match. They may do so.

However, I would like to point out that because of B2C you were able to secure advanced images that have helped you make a more informed and confident decision. Not to mention, by your own testament B2C offers you a local in-person experience that BN simply can't do.

I'm not bagging on BN, but to me it appears they are cheaper because they are doing less. I personally wouldn't have a problem kicking an extra $100 to B2C for the added value & service they are adding to the deal.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Yeah after some snooping I found the exact same diamond for $250 less. Wish I'd found this sooner. Now I don't know what to do. I can try and get the loose diamond and have it set somewhere, or maybe see if B2C will go lower now that they know I have this information. It is a good thing to be able to see it and review it...but is it a $250 plus travel expenses good thing?

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
I probably should have lowballed them earlier - they based their price on what I said first so if I found this other listing first I could have gotten a better price. This is why I hate negotiation. Plus I found out today my car needs a replacement starter and I may need a root canal redone so money suddenly became a more pressing issue.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Sleep on it. Go with your gut instinct. No one should go thru their savings or use money they don’t have to finance a ring. As I tell my fiancé, just ask. You won’t know unless you ask. Ask for a price match. The worst they can say is no.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B2C does have a price match policy. No one is going to cover your travel expenses.

For the record, I had the term "lowball". B2C is a good vendor, and a successful negotiation is one where BOTH parties win. The real question becomes if they are offering you service or product of better quality and consequently better value. Lowest dollar doesn't always equate to best value.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Okay, thanks for finding that, @sledge. I guess the sudden bills today freaked me out a bit. Haha of course I wasn't expecting anyone to cover my travel, I was just saying that it was part of my price calculus in my decision. Plus it would save them the cost of registered mail. Not much (maybe $25-30) but it is something. I like them based on how helpful they've been and the reputation they have. I do also want a good deal though, even if it isn't the lowest possible price. They'd be worth more than a less reputable company, to be sure.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
I suppose if this stone doesn't pan out I could always get one of the other ones you found. I do like this one though, and I also really like how B2C has been treating me. The sales reps are very nice and every online review says their quality is superb. And the fact that I'm close enough to visit is a big plus. If I get a good value here I'll definitely do more business with them in the future. Either wedding rings or gift jewelry or a setting upgrade, we'll see.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
They're still looking into this one but they also showed me another option.

GIA 5346502100

1.23 J VS2

PROPORTIONS
Depth62.4 %
Table56 %
Crown Angle35.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%

No price yet and ASET looks super dark so hard to tell for me. I really want my other pick though. I found it myself so I guess it means something extra to me.

5346502100(2).JPG 5346502100.JPG 5346502100(1).JPG

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes, and in my limited experience, I would think that the area of leakage between 8 and 10 o'clock on both the ASETscope image and the Idealscope image would be more noticeable than any leakage present in the current stone under consideration.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Blue Nile is currently listing the stone as Not Available. I'm hoping that means that B2C was able to procure it from the seller! I'm excited and hopeful but nervous. Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions and help and for being patient as I mildly freak out about the purchase.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buying bling is always a bit tense for those of us without considerable financial means!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're still looking into this one but they also showed me another option.

GIA 5346502100

1.23 J VS2

PROPORTIONS
Depth62.4 %
Table56 %
Crown Angle35.0°
Crown Height15.5%
Pavilion Angle40.8°
Pavilion Depth43.0%

No price yet and ASET looks super dark so hard to tell for me. I really want my other pick though. I found it myself so I guess it means something extra to me.

5346502100(2).JPG 5346502100.JPG 5346502100(1).JPG

Agree with @OoohShiny about leakage being apparent from the 8-10 o'clock position. Also, lots of inconsistencies in the hearts image.

I'm assuming these images come compliments of the supplier/cutter of the stone and not from B2C, but they almost feel as if they are taken in a way to mask the issues. The ASET is really dark. The IS image is over exposed.

While the hearts tells us symmetry is off, it's further confirmed when you start analyzing the arrow alignment from the IS image.

Overall, I just don't like this stone at all. While it may be a "good enough" stone for some people, I feel you could do better and would prefer your first choice you are sweet on, or would pursue other options if I were buying.

5346502100(2).JPG

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for confirming my own thoughts, both of you. They did keep trying to show me stones that I knew deep down weren’t as good as the one I picked. They also sent a video of that last one and it didn’t look as good anyway. The good news is that they got the one I wanted, and I purchased it today! They didn’t price match the one I found on With Clarity since I guess the price match only applies if the site has the stone in stock or something. But I‘ve heard more good about B2C than With Clarity, plus they have hundreds of good reviews online and recommendations by people here, so I went with them. They did waive the fee for the appraisal so that’s as a plus. And they provided lots of images and help along the way.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Oh and if anyone wants to buy the stone @sledge really liked, you need to pay first in order to get any images at all since the current dealer doesn’t have the means to provide any. They do have a 30 day return policy though.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on pulling the trigger! That’s always the hard part. Refresh my memory on the stone you picked. So many posted I lost track! Lol

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
The one I originally found on Blue Nile. It was the third one I posted on this thread. The one I sent the first ASET that sledge analyzed and thought was good. 3BEE38CE-90BC-4C0F-97BD-73017F717244.jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and if anyone wants to buy the stone @sledge really liked, you need to pay first in order to get any images at all since the current dealer doesn’t have the means to provide any. They do have a 30 day return policy though.

See post #22 for a full explanation by B2C.

Essentially the supplier/cutter of the stone doesn't have capabilities to do advanced images. And because the supplier doesn't work on "credit" the stone has to be purchased before it ships to B2C.

Once B2C receives the stone, they can do all the imaging, etc from their NYC facility.

Most importantly, there is a full hassle free 30 day money back guarantee that the buyer can exercise if the images aren't good, or the stone disappoints for any reason. The guarantee doesn't start until the buyer receives the stone from B2C.

So it's a rather risk free option but does require you to use your own cash/credit upfront. Not all their suppliers have these limitations and B2C would be able to further determine which stones do and don't require this.

Congratulations on pulling the trigger! That’s always the hard part. Refresh my memory on the stone you picked. So many posted I lost track! Lol

More details in posts #7, 32 and 36 about the one he purchased.

By the way, congrats @Ambrose! It can be tough crossing the finish line. So happy to see you make it and to have found a diamond that is special to you.

When do you visit B2C to see the beauty with your own eyes?

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
You’re right sledge but I’m specifying that in this case the supplier can’t even provide normal images or video, not even counting idealscope or ASET. So for any of those you need to purchase the stone for B2C to do the imaging. It does seem to be a nice stone though. Thanks for the congratulations!
At this point I’m not sure if I will go into the city. They didn’t need me to and said they were fine shipping it, and I found out the tax is much greater if I buy in NYC than if I have it shipped to me. So I may just accept their expertise if they say it’s good and see it in person/examine it when they ship it.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting! I can't wait to hear your thoughts when it arrives :))

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
As a side note, does the ASET/Idealscope image show if there's any milkiness or oiliness in the stone? I know the chance is low, but the stone does have medium fluorescence so it's not a zero possibility. The videos from B2C and Blue Nile both looked good to me but I wouldn't know what to watch out for.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a side note, does the ASET/Idealscope image show if there's any milkiness or oiliness in the stone? I know the chance is low, but the stone does have medium fluorescence so it's not a zero possibility. The videos from B2C and Blue Nile both looked good to me but I wouldn't know what to watch out for.

My understanding is that milky/hazy problems in Fluor only start at Strong and Very Strong, and even then, issues are not that common. Medium should therefore be just fine :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results