shape
carat
color
clarity

Reaction to earrings! Help me guess the metal alloy please. Thank you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, everyone.

I recently purchased a pair of baroque sea of Cortez pearl earrings from Cortezpearl.mx

I’m reacting to the earrings with earlobe itching and swelling. My guess is there is nickle alloy in the gold.

I have sent them an email asking if they know which alloy is mixed with the gold.

As you may have seen, I need two new knees with at least one hopefully happening next month. It’s important I know, or figure out, best guess etc what is causing this reaction. Anyone who is allergic to nickel (which I know I am) can’t have the rebotic minimally invasive surgery because the parts that go with the robot are cobolt, which is nickle.

Does anyone have a guess or opinion? Thank you.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi, everyone.

I recently purchased a pair of baroque sea of Cortez pearl earrings from Cortezpearl.mx

I’m reacting to the earrings with earlobe itching and swelling. My guess is there is nickle alloy in the gold.

I have sent them an email asking if they know which alloy is mixed with the gold.

As you may have seen, I need two new knees with at least one hopefully happening next month. It’s important I know, or figure out, best guess etc what is causing this reaction. Anyone who is allergic to nickel (which I know I am) can’t have the rebotic minimally invasive surgery because the parts that go with the robot are cobolt, which is nickle.

I would call my doctor, let them know about the reaction. They may be able to allergy test before the operation.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's Hoover & Strong's info about their various casting alloys. You'll see that their 18K yellow and royal (also a yellow) gold alloys do not have any nickel -- copper, silver, zinc, and silicon are the non-gold components in those alloys:

Stuller also indicates there is no nickel in their 18K yellow gold alloys, but I'm not able to quickly find a page on the Stuller website equivalent to the Hoover & Strong page linked above.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi, everyone.

My son is allergic to nickel. Wouldn't the replacements be of surgical steel??? Best of luck for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call my doctor, let them know about the reaction. They may be able to allergy test before the operation.

They can’t do the Melisa test because of Covid and supply issues.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son is allergic to nickel. Wouldn't the replacements be of surgical steel??? Best of luck for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

No, they are either cobolt, titanium or chromium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, 18ct yellow gold shouldn’t have any nickel in it.
I too have a severe nickel allergy. I bought a supposed 925 silver ring to trial an eternity ring look and merely wearing it overnight cause like 3rd degree burns! Not 925 silver!
I looked at the photo of the earrings and the earring backs seem to be showing some tarnish? I’m wondering if the ear backs aren’t 18ct gold. It’s possible, Ive had a similar reaction to new earrings and when I changed the back over to a known “non reactive” back I stopped getting a reaction.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Whitewave, do you happen know if the laparoscopic surgical tools are also made of nickel?
I was planning on having robotic surgery and never heard of this. I had a reaction to some white gold earrings recently but didn't think anything of it, it wasn't severe. I have had laparoscopic surgery in the past but not robotic and this is flipping my plans upside down now.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like here. A7055DE5-6B8A-452C-A7DA-719A8349E7C8.jpeg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knee parts can be titanium, cobalt, stainless... my operation was delayed an hour when I checked again right before going down that I wasn’t getting any nickel. Sure enough they were planning cobalt and had to switch the parts for titanium.

btw, those earrings look plated. 18 yg has no nickel.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, 18ct yellow gold shouldn’t have any nickel in it.
I too have a severe nickel allergy. I bought a supposed 925 silver ring to trial an eternity ring look and merely wearing it overnight cause like 3rd degree burns! Not 925 silver!
I looked at the photo of the earrings and the earring backs seem to be showing some tarnish? I’m wondering if the ear backs aren’t 18ct gold. It’s possible, Ive had a similar reaction to new earrings and when I changed the back over to a known “non reactive” back I stopped getting a reaction.

Interesting, thanks. The company hasn’t emailed me back yet.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitewave, do you happen know if the laparoscopic surgical tools are also made of nickel?
I was planning on having robotic surgery and never heard of this. I had a reaction to some white gold earrings recently but didn't think anything of it, it wasn't severe. I have had laparoscopic surgery in the past but not robotic and this is flipping my plans upside down now.

I just asked DH and he wants to know what kind of surgery?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knee parts can be titanium, cobalt, stainless... my operation was delayed an hour when I checked again right before going down that I wasn’t getting any nickel. Sure enough they were planning cobalt and had to switch the parts for titanium.

btw, those earrings look plated. 18 yg has no nickel.

Eek, that would have been a mess. I’m glad you triple checked.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I plan on having adhesiolysis and/or endometriosis excision, depending on what they find.

His guess is no. His surgical laparoscopic instruments (though not GYN) are disposable and reusable and are surgical steel.

I think (though I am not sure) the issue with the knee is that the actual knee replacement parts that are chromium (nickle) go with the robot for whatever reason.

So if I can have nickle, then I can’t have the robot.

I would say ask your doc. As I mentioned, my husband was guessing/logical deduction.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone who is allergic to nickel (which I know I am) can’t have the rebotic minimally invasive surgery because the parts that go with the robot are cobolt, which is nickle.

Just adding that cobalt is an independent metal, as is nickel. It's just that the two metals are often alloyed together in nature and it's apparently too expensive to separate completely. So you may not be allergic to pure cobalt but if they haven't removed all the nickel then it's no use to you either.

So going back to the earrings, if they say they are nickel free, but use cobalt in their 18K alloy BUT use impure cobalt, then the nickel may be causing you the issues?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just adding that cobalt is an independent metal, as is nickel. It's just that the two metals are often alloyed together in nature and it's apparently too expensive to separate completely. So you may not be allergic to pure cobalt but if they haven't removed all the nickel then it's no use to you either.

So going back to the earrings, if they say they are nickel free, but use cobalt in their 18K alloy BUT use impure cobalt, then the nickel may be causing you the issues?

Thanks. Ok, yes, the knees for the robot are cobalt and nickle

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Cartier 18k YG tarnishes if I don't wear it for some time. Solid 18k YG absolutely can tarnish.

Whitewave bought from a reputable company. If the farm stated 18k YG, which they did, then the findings are not going to be plated or gold-filled.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave 18k YG often has silver, copper, and brass (which is copper and zinc). D'you recognize any of those as something you've been sensitive to in the past?

The farm most likely won't know what alloy composition their findings are - they'll have to contact their manufacturer. Alternatively, can they give you the name of their manufacturer? Tha would avoid any potential mistranslations through telephone...

Edit - texting you, don't want to post contact info publicly

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave 18k YG often has silver, copper, and brass (which is copper and zinc). D'you recognize any of those as something you've been sensitive to in the past?

The farm most likely won't know what alloy composition their findings are - they'll have to contact their manufacturer. Alternatively, can they give you the name of their manufacturer? Tha would avoid any potential mistranslations through telephone...

Edit - texting you, don't want to post contact info publicly

Fernando just replied— in a super helpful tone— that he wants me to her good knees and is going to ask his jeweler to see what metals are mixed in the gold.

I loooooove the earrings by the way. They are so gorgeous and classic looking.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loooooove the earrings by the way. They are so gorgeous and classic looking.

I think I told you I'd been eyeing those pearls for a while - I'm so glad they went to a friend and I can ogle by proxy :halo:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I told you I'd been eyeing those pearls for a while - I'm so glad they went to a friend and I can ogle by proxy :halo:

Like I do with your opal earrings lol

Ok, it’s 75% gold and the rest is silver and copper.

So my guess is it’s the copper.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW had a pair of earrings that caused her ears to become very tender and turn red whenever she wore them. We discovered the posts had grooves cut into them at intervals. These grooves had very rough edges, and the first groove on each post was positioned such that it would be inside her earlobe.

We had our jeweler polish the posts and the problem went away.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
DW had a pair of earrings that caused her ears to become very tender and turn red whenever she wore them. We discovered the posts had grooves cut into them at intervals. These grooves had very rough edges, and the first groove on each post was positioned such that it would be inside her earlobe.

Ouch :-o

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my - great that you identified the issue and were able to resolve it so easily! A quick polish is a much simpler fix than a reset! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results