shape
carat
color
clarity

re: purchase and appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

python55

Rough_Rock
i am buying a ags0 diamond and the jeweller has provided a third party appraisal. The jeweller comes highly recommended and i was wondering if it was OK to get an appraisal of the finished product. So basically just to verify it is the stone on the cert. and to make sure it is set properly. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock

It is recommended that you get an independent appraisal. Even though your jeweler might provide you with an appraisal (which many reputable jewelers do) it can be the case that the jeweler and appraiser are friends, and so therefore the appraiser could appraise the goods of the jewelers with an eye that is less than eagle sharp.

Any jeweler who would oppose having the ring independently appraised, IMHO, has something to hide....

Happy Hunting

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

python55,

Of course it''s OK. The purpose of hiring an appraiser to examine a new purchase it to assist you in making your purchase decision. If you are concerned about workmanship issues in the setting, potential damage to the stone, or important information that may have been omitted from the original report, it’s entirely appropriate for you to seek you own professional help. The jeweler supplied you with the appraisal because it’s common for customers find that they are required by their insurance companies to get one before they can bind a policy. They wanted to supply you documentation for this purpose (I’m guessing, of course, but this is a typical reason for including these documents with a sale). Both of your questions are valid concerns and it should not be difficult to find an independent professional to assist you in answering both. There is a search index at the top of the page under ‘resources’ that can help you find a local appraiser.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results