Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-Cutting An Old Miner''s Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Howdy... Need some advice on an engagement ring. I could re-cut an old miners cut- Approx. 1.75 carats (7.3mm)of I color and eyeclean. It would be in the center with a princess stone on each side. Or, I would just purchase a 1 carat solitaire princess of D,E,F color and eyeclean as well. I am not sure which way to go.How do you feel about re-cutting the old miner's cut to a more modern RBC? What size sidestones would you recommend? Thanks for the help and include pics if possible.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Are you having to buy the old mine cut, or is it a stone you already own?

If you own it, you'd get out a heckuva lot cheaper recutting it, than buying another stone.

I wouldn't know without a full report on the dimensions of the old mine cut, but my gut instinct is that you probably would get about a 1.25 carater out of it. If you asked Jonathan (Rhino) nicely, he might send it to one of his ideal cut cutters for re-making.

When I had my store, I charged $200 per carat plus $50 for shipping, etc. for having diamonds recut to Class 2 makes. ($400 for a stone like yours). An ideal cut would most likely cost you more, but still you would get out for less than a $1000, and have a gorgeous stone.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You possess a unique piece of history in your hands that is currently highly-sought after by many people. I think it would be a crying shame to re-cut an antique diamond to make it look like any run-of-the-mill modern diamond!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hest, I completely agree with you, OMC are so charming and beautiful... BUT, if I were in Mikes shoes and I had to decide between having this OMC recut or getting a new D-E-F stone, I'd probably go with the less expensive choice, the recut. Being an OMC, the stone isn't overly deep, so I'd say he could get a modern round brilliant with good or very good proportions of about 1.15-1.30ct, or something slightly larger than one carat should he want ideal proportions... Anyway, none can tell without seeing the stone.
If I were you, I would have a hard time deciding...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2003 10
4:20 AM Hest88 wrote:

You possess a unique piece of history in your hands that is currently highly-sought after by many people. I think it would be a crying shame to re-cut an antique diamond to make it look like any run-of-the-mill modern diamond!
----------------

Well said. I second this motion.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with Hest and Fire&Ice, recutting would almost (in my book, anyway) be a crime.

Did you ask the intended recipient if they liked the stone as is?

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.