shape
carat
color
clarity

Re-Cutting An Old Miner''s Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magicmike1969

Rough_Rock
Howdy... Need some advice on an engagement ring. I could re-cut an old miners cut- Approx. 1.75 carats (7.3mm)of I color and eyeclean. It would be in the center with a princess stone on each side. Or, I would just purchase a 1 carat solitaire princess of D,E,F color and eyeclean as well. I am not sure which way to go.How do you feel about re-cutting the old miner's cut to a more modern RBC? What size sidestones would you recommend? Thanks for the help and include pics if possible.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Are you having to buy the old mine cut, or is it a stone you already own?

If you own it, you'd get out a heckuva lot cheaper recutting it, than buying another stone.

I wouldn't know without a full report on the dimensions of the old mine cut, but my gut instinct is that you probably would get about a 1.25 carater out of it. If you asked Jonathan (Rhino) nicely, he might send it to one of his ideal cut cutters for re-making.

When I had my store, I charged $200 per carat plus $50 for shipping, etc. for having diamonds recut to Class 2 makes. ($400 for a stone like yours). An ideal cut would most likely cost you more, but still you would get out for less than a $1000, and have a gorgeous stone.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You possess a unique piece of history in your hands that is currently highly-sought after by many people. I think it would be a crying shame to re-cut an antique diamond to make it look like any run-of-the-mill modern diamond!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hest, I completely agree with you, OMC are so charming and beautiful... BUT, if I were in Mikes shoes and I had to decide between having this OMC recut or getting a new D-E-F stone, I'd probably go with the less expensive choice, the recut. Being an OMC, the stone isn't overly deep, so I'd say he could get a modern round brilliant with good or very good proportions of about 1.15-1.30ct, or something slightly larger than one carat should he want ideal proportions... Anyway, none can tell without seeing the stone.
If I were you, I would have a hard time deciding...
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2003 10
6.gif
4:20 AM Hest88 wrote:

You possess a unique piece of history in your hands that is currently highly-sought after by many people. I think it would be a crying shame to re-cut an antique diamond to make it look like any run-of-the-mill modern diamond!
----------------

Well said. I second this motion.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with Hest and Fire&Ice, recutting would almost (in my book, anyway) be a crime.

Did you ask the intended recipient if they liked the stone as is?

win

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results