carat
color
clarity

Rapaport "Honest Diamonds" Video: Quick Synopsis

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear Pricescope Community,

Last September diamonds with EGL reports were banned from the Rapnet trading network. Yesterday Martin Rapaport released a video called Honest Diamonds, discussing this topic. I created the synopsis below for the jewelers with whom I do educational training.

In the spirit of education and dialogue about over-grading and abuse-potential I'm posting it here as well.

Please note: The notes are often paraphrased. For proper context go to the indicated video time-index.

John

Honest Diamonds Video From Martin Rapaport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwPv8HjQ4DY

Introduction and Overview [ 00:00 ]
> Diamonds are complicated.
> Consumers need to trust the people selling them diamonds.
> In 1950 the GIA gave us language and standards to use.
> This level playing field is global and empowers buying confidence.

Same Language but Different Standards [ 01:49 ]
> Some laboratories use GIA grading terminology but apply a lower standard.
> The EGL International lab might claim F color, but submitted to GIA it would be 4-5 grades lower.
> Consumers see the report with “F” on it, thinks it’s a deal, but the color has been misrepresented.
> Factually those diamonds are out there and consumers think they’re better than they are.
> This poses a significant threat to the diamond industry.

Communicate Honestly and Fairly [ 3:20 ]
> A written document citing diamond quality must be accurate and not misleading.
> How can consumers buy diamonds if they can’t trust jewelers?
> Honest grading isn’t optional. Honest grading is the essence of our business.

The Rapaport Group’s Position

1. GIA Terminology = GIA Standards [ 04:18 ]
> Anyone using GIA terminology to describe a diamond must also use the GIA standards.
> If not, they are over-grading and misrepresenting the quality of the diamond.

2. Suppliers are Responsible [ 04:39 ]
> If a supplier provides a diamond that’s treated (and says it’s not) he must take it back
> Therefore, why would we allow suppliers to provide diamonds with misrepresented color and clarity?
> Like undisclosed treatments or MMDs, a diamond with over-graded color and clarity should also be taken back.

Addressing Excuses

...“If I Can’t Beat Them, I’ll Confuse Them” [ 05:13 ]
> Sellers who can’t beat others on the price use over-graded reports to confuse the consumer about quality.
> They push color or clarity on the over-graded report in a way that makes their price seem attractive.
> This is unacceptable.

...“There Are No Diamond Grading Standards” [ 06:03 ]
> EGL International claims there is no such thing as a standard.
> GIA standards have been around since the 1950s.
> Don’t tell me there’s no diamond grading standard. It’s a lie.

...“Diamond grading Is subjective” [ 06:30 ]
> Yes, but within a certain tolerance range.
> An F color may go back to GIA and get a G. But there is no way a GIA F will come back K.
> You can line up 100 gemologists and show them K colors and no one will say they are F.
> Abusing this idea of subjectivity is an attempt to confuse consumers so they can overcharge on price by giving lower qualities.

...“It wasn’t me, it was EGL” [07:28 ]
> If you’re a retailer and blame EGL for over-grading you may think you’re protected. But you are not.
> As a retailer you’re responsible to the consumer for the quality you told them it was.
> In court you may be held accountable for triple damages on the quality difference of the stone.

...“I can always give it back to my supplier” [ 08:22 ]
> Not true. The law in the USA says if you’re a jeweler you’re an expert.
> As an expert you are expected to know if the quality is not GIA quality.

...“If I charge a low price it is fair” [ 08:34 ]
> No, because the consumer was incentivized to buy that diamond because you represented it as a good deal.
> Regardless of the deal, he thought he was buying F, or something like F, and you sold him a K.

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it. [ 09:12 ]
> Rick Chotin sold Yehuda fracture-filled diamonds, giving a good price but not disclosing the treatment.
> Upon discovery, lines of consumers started returning their diamonds.
> Rick Chotin refunded them with his personal life savings until he went broke, then committed suicide.
> The takeaway is that you must not lie about the quality of a diamond, even if you give a good price.

Looking Deeper

An Un-level Playing Field [ 11:35 ]
> Let’s say you’re selling a GIA F color for $10,000. Across the street is an EGL F color for $5,000.
> The consumer doesn’t understand the nuances of color grading or different lab standards.
> But the consumer DOES understand “$10,000 here $5,000 there” so he buys across the street.

Consequences [ 12:35 ]
> What is the honest guy to do? He sees clients going to his competitor day after day.
> Some retailers may try to educate, but that will take a lot of time and effort.
> Some will go out of business being ethical.
> Others will say “I can’t compete! I too must sell EGL International and over-graded reports.”

Unintended Consequences [ 12:47 ]
> Bad situations are hurting good people in the industry.
> How is an ethical jeweler to compete against a neighbor who sells over-graded diamonds?
> In some instances it’s convincing them that they must become sellers of over-graded diamonds.
> It’s a growing cancer and that causes the un-level playing field to grow.

Ethical Responsibility

Timing Of This Video [ 14:35 ]
> Some people don’t want this video coming out.
> Raising this story near Christmas may cause people to buy less diamonds.
> We have a responsibility to let consumers know not to buy over-graded diamonds, specifically before Christmas.
> The trade is at risk. We may get into a situation where consumers say “Show me the money.”
> If the trade can’t show them the money it will become a bigger and bigger crisis.

Confusion Is Not Acceptable [ 15:13 ]
> Why were all EGL labs banned from Rapnet?
> Because there are 12 EGLs with different standards between them.
> Confusing consumers on color and clarity is bad enough.
> They cannot possibly differentiate between all these EGLs with different standards.

Final Thoughts

Why does Rapaport use SI3 on their price list, as it’s not GIA terminology? [ 16:13 ]
> Because people in the trade do use SI3 as an intermediate grade between SI2 and I1.
> We specify it so that people can have an idea about that intermediate grade.
> Rapnet wants to get to the point where people can buy diamonds without seeing them.
> In that sense adding supplemental information to a GIA report is acceptable (black pique, white feather etc.)

Rapaport Supports Competition [ 17:40 ]
> Some people say Rapaport is only for the GIA.
> We thank the GIA for creating the language and the standard but we support competition.
> Every laboratory in the world that wants to compete should compete.
> Charge lower prices, give better delivery time, whatever. Just don’t miscommunicate or misrepresent or confuse.
> And if a lab chooses to use GIA terminology they must use the GIA standard.

Related Links

JCK Online (September 9, 2014): RapNet Bans EGL Reports From Trading Network
http://www.jckonline.com/2014/09/09/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network?

Pricescope Topic (September 9, 2014): RapNet Bans EGL Reports From Trading Network
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rapnet-bans-egl-reports-from-trading-network.205934/

Diamonds.net (November 10, 2014): Honest Grading announcement and video
http://www.diamonds.net/HonestDiamonds/

Diamonds.net (November 10, 2014): Honest Grading Special Report PDF by Martin Rapaport
http://www.diamonds.net/HonestDiamonds/Resources/Special_Report_Honest_Grading_1.pdf

Pricescope Topic: (November 10, 2014): Rapaport Honest Grading calls to end (EGL Int) overgrading
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ding-calls-to-end-egl-int-overgrading.207812/

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thanks sir John
found a typo: This poses a significant thread to the diamond industry.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
As a consumer it was interesting to liten to Mr. Rapaport. Also I think that standardize grading would only help his rap net. I think in a perfect world all stones should be graded equally but its not a perfect world and tha would be quite a feat to do.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John,

A few days ago I came to this thread, quickly clicked on the link to watch the video and the phone rang.

Video has been paused for three days or so.

Started watching it and saw that it was 19 minutes and change and paused it again.

Massive snow storm here and I just spent over an hour shoveling my driveway and the driveways of a couple of neighbors who are not as physically active as I am and came back in to watch the video, but the phone rang.

Rebooted the computer for some reason and could not find the tab with the video and came to look for it by searching for your name.

Actually read the synopsis in only a few minutes.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

As always, you have a way of getting to the meat of a topic quickly, it is greatly appreciated! I can now tell people about the great video by Martin Rapaport. I can even tell them that I read the Cliff's Notes version written by John Pollard, and now have gotten more from them than I probably would have if I had actually watched the whole video.

Wink

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great synopsis, thank you for posting it :))

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Mr. Pollard your input is always highly appreciated. You are so dedicated, thank you!!!

1stTimeRockHunter

Rough_Rock
Really enjoyed the video... Its a shame a lot of men (people in general) don't ask the questions to make the best choice when purchasing diamonds. When I went into a jeweler (after doing some research) I liked what I heard. When I ask "Who graded the diamond, GIA or AGS?" I was told EGL. When I asked why not GIA/AGS I was told that they could get me a similar stone to the EGL that had been graded by GIA/AGS but it would cost much more. She stumbled over the reasoning once I asked why.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results