• Start date

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aayla picked up from vet after spade...on pain meds...knocked out

20230106_144538.jpg

Aayla back home after spade 20230106_200140.jpg

20230106_175353.jpg

Oh my goodness! she looks so sweet! I just want to squish her:kiss2: I hope she's recovering well!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This poor guy has been through the mill and we haven’t even gotten to the other side of this yet.

96AA9463-7E38-4B7F-B4C7-4CAE5FC35454.jpeg

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
This poor guy has been through the mill and we haven’t even gotten to the other side of this yet.

I can still hear the sound of my cat scratching her cone at 2:30am for 2 weeks straight. I hope your guys heals up quickly!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @oakleaf! He was pretty traumatized by the cone yesterday and couldn’t figure out how to navigate around the house. He would hit the wall and then just stand there bewildered. He is getting around better today thankfully.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww, poor baby. Sending lots of {{kitty hugs}}

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
061BDC3A-1F90-4BD2-BA07-5547FF17762D.jpeg

My Noah (middle) had a play date with my aunt’s dog Sammy and a friend’s dog bonbon. I call these series of pics the King Charles sandwich:)

Attachments

• 384B1A87-4260-4185-A916-6E50B9658C47.jpeg
    384B1A87-4260-4185-A916-6E50B9658C47.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 9

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My friend lives on a farm and gets the enviable job of caring for and loving all the animals.
She sent me this photo last night :love:

Two of her many beautiful sweet precious furry babies

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 8.11.38 AM.png

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn’t find Dexter, then I opened the oldest’s door :lol-2:

Also his eyes have made huge progress over the past few days which is amazing.

FA285C31-923D-4C4D-9BEB-5980755934BA.jpeg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gracie only drools when she is deliriously happy. Which happens to coincide with sitting on my lap lucky me :lol:

Now they’re quite engaged in “cat tv”
we’ll see if it’s worth the added cable expense Lol. So far it‘s a hit but I am guessing they’ll tire of it soon

2AD9E6E6-FD02-460F-AE0F-289F2295ED8D.jpeg

Can you get a cat TV video dvd? It may be a cheaper routethan cable package and more availability. Beware as I have seen cat YouTube videos wherein cats get excited at the screen and they lunge and knock the TVs over.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get a cat TV video dvd? It may be a cheaper routethan cable package and more availability. Beware as I have seen cat YouTube videos wherein cats get excited at the screen and they lunge and knock the TVs over.

I had such a DVD in the 90s and our furry crew LOVED it so much. Our TV is anchored in the back so it is impossible to knock over though if anyone could find a way it's our kitties lol. Thanks for that suggestion. I will see about ordering one but not sure our DVD player is even here or back in NY with the original cat tape. It's something I was thinking about doing though when we are gone all day I leave cat tv on for them and with a DVD not sure it can run all day because it will stop when it is over.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m too superstitious to share this story yet, but there has been amazing progress over the past week. Not out of the woods but things are looking up!

If you look closely you can see the blue sutures under his right eye, he also has them under the left. His left eye was so swollen last week that I couldn’t even see the sutures :confused2:

13BB1564-C88E-4DB0-B1FD-16C25563AA6F.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m too superstitious to share this story yet, but there has been amazing progress over the past week. Not out of the woods but things are looking up!

Aww ♥️ so glad he is doing well and keeping good thoughts for him. May his recovery be full and smooth

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww ♥️ so glad he is doing well and keeping good thoughts for him. May his recovery be full and smooth

Thanks for the well wishes for Dexter, I know you have been through difficult times with your kitties too. It’s so hard to see them in pain, and in our case the care he has been receiving was not resolving anything. Challenging and frustrating to say the least.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you look closely you can see the blue sutures under his right eye, he also has them under the left. His left eye was so swollen last week that I couldn’t even see the sutures :confused2:

Wow, this made my morning!
I'm so glad that things are improving.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our cousin‘s kitty. Meowalicious and meowalous

6AC7FFF9-EE91-4A8C-A5CB-D1FFB39808D2.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nobody wants to read a whole book, so here is the Cliff notes version of what happened with Dexter. It is still long but best I could do.

We believe he was exposed to feline herpes virus from the cat shelter we volunteer at. His eyes were squinty and he had some discharge, originally we thought it was conjunctivitis, called the vet and they can’t see him for a week but I knew nothing of eye issues so I take the appointment. What followed was several weeks of appointments and various medications. Eye drops, huge anti viral pills for weeks and he was not improving, his vet kept changing course because he couldn’t understand why he wasn’t improving. He had two huge ulcers on both eyes and a sequestrum in his right eye.

Our vet referred us to a feline ophthalmologist at one of the few facilities that has one on staff in CT. She looks at him and determines that his lower eyelids are turned in and rubbing against his eyes causing the ulcers and that calls for surgery, bi-lateral entropion surgery and keratectomy with graft to remove the sequestrum. She said he was probably born like this (he wasn’t) and she hands me the estimate and it is between $6,000-$8,000 and they will need the low end estimate paid to schedule the surgery. As an alternative, she suggested injections of “kitty Botox” to get his eyelids away from his eyes but only lasts a few months to a year. We took the estimate home and I started doing my own research, it felt like this was an extremely aggressive approach and it didn’t address the underlying problem. Also entropion surgery isn’t always successful the first time around, he had been through a lot at this point, I didn’t want to put him through this twice.

What didn’t sit well with me was at no point was there any discussion that addressed the treatment for the ulcers, which were obviously painful. She also took him off the antiviral medication he was on and the medicated eye drops and prescribed him Gabapentin for pain. At this point I was so fed up, months of the cat being in pain and I wasn’t convinced that this vet was the answer. Then I remembered DH said there were a bunch of cats at the shelter that came in from a hoarding situation, all of them had herpes and one had surgery by a vet in town, maybe she could help.

The first time I met Dr. H, I knew she was the one who could fix it. She was relatable and reassuring and much more conservative in her approach. Dexter was a little complicated, he has an arrhythmia and Dr. H had some concerns about putting him under for surgery. She suggested we start by putting sutures in to get the eyelids away from the eyes and give the ulcers a chance to heal. He was so well behaved that she just gave him a little sedation but didn’t put him out completely and he let her put a needle right next to his eye for the sutures. She put him back on his prescription drops, back on his anti-viral and off the Gabapentin, she also gave us autogenous serum, made from his own blood, in a syringe and told us to put one to two drops in each eye twice a day. This was Wednesday and less than a week later at our follow-up appointment his ulcers were gone, there was what she called a slight divet in one eye, we continued with the “magic serum” for another week. Mind you, he had those ulcers for over a month and this doctor managed to address the problem and get rid of the ulcers in a week!

Monday she took the sutures out but she was relatively confident he was going to need the entropion surgery. Sure enough by Wednesday his eyelid was creeping back up on one side. We had tentatively scheduled the surgery at the Monday appointment for Thursday (today) and so it was a go. He came home today sporting his cone of shame and two beautiful eyes. Oh, and the total cost including the sutures, follow-up appointments and surgery came to just under $1300. Granted we didn’t do the keratectomy surgery but the entropion surgery at the ophthalmologist alone was $1438 compared to $290.40 at Dr. H’s clinic. Little bit of a difference! Thank God for her.

In the beginning, this progressed to him keeping both eyes closed nearly all the time from the pain
51006CF2-672C-45A7-B741-F3D8F0D84E31.jpeg

How we had to administer eye drops and huge pills, still those eyes were closed, he was still in pain despite weeks of treatment
078D5587-267C-410F-9214-E156594E91DA.jpeg

Sutures under the eyes to bring the eyelids down, eyes open and no ulcers, he was back to his old self
1446F6F8-EEC9-45FB-B69D-ED081BDA1083.jpeg

After entropion surgery today, alert and happy to be home
F693C463-8446-49F9-A2E0-48C96FE937B8.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nobody wants to read a whole book, so here is the Cliff notes version of what happened with Dexter. It is still long but best I could do.

We believe he was exposed to feline herpes virus from the cat shelter we volunteer at. His eyes were squinty and he had some discharge, originally we thought it was conjunctivitis, called the vet and they can’t see him for a week but I knew nothing of eye issues so I take the appointment. What followed was several weeks of appointments and various medications. Eye drops, huge anti viral pills for weeks and he was not improving, his vet kept changing course because he couldn’t understand why he wasn’t improving. He had two huge ulcers on both eyes and a sequestrum in his right eye.

Our vet referred us to a feline ophthalmologist at one of the few facilities that has one on staff in CT. She looks at him and determines that his lower eyelids are turned in and rubbing against his eyes causing the ulcers and that calls for surgery, bi-lateral entropion surgery and keratectomy with graft to remove the sequestrum. She said he was probably born like this (he wasn’t) and she hands me the estimate and it is between $6,000-$8,000 and they will need the low end estimate paid to schedule the surgery. As an alternative, she suggested injections of “kitty Botox” to get his eyelids away from his eyes but only lasts a few months to a year. We took the estimate home and I started doing my own research, it felt like this was an extremely aggressive approach and it didn’t address the underlying problem. Also entropion surgery isn’t always successful the first time around, he had been through a lot at this point, I didn’t want to put him through this twice.

What didn’t sit well with me was at no point was there any discussion that addressed the treatment for the ulcers, which were obviously painful. She also took him off the antiviral medication he was on and the medicated eye drops and prescribed him Gabapentin for pain. At this point I was so fed up, months of the cat being in pain and I wasn’t convinced that this vet was the answer. Then I remembered DH said there were a bunch of cats at the shelter that came in from a hoarding situation, all of them had herpes and one had surgery by a vet in town, maybe she could help.

The first time I met Dr. H, I knew she was the one who could fix it. She was relatable and reassuring and much more conservative in her approach. Dexter was a little complicated, he has an arrhythmia and Dr. H had some concerns about putting him under for surgery. She suggested we start by putting sutures in to get the eyelids away from the eyes and give the ulcers a chance to heal. He was so well behaved that she just gave him a little sedation but didn’t put him out completely and he let her put a needle right next to his eye for the sutures. She put him back on his prescription drops, back on his anti-viral and off the Gabapentin, she also gave us autogenous serum, made from his own blood, in a syringe and told us to put one to two drops in each eye twice a day. This was Wednesday and less than a week later at our follow-up appointment his ulcers were gone, there was what she called a slight divet in one eye, we continued with the “magic serum” for another week. Mind you, he had those ulcers for over a month and this doctor managed to address the problem and get rid of the ulcers in a week!

Monday she took the sutures out but she was relatively confident he was going to need the entropion surgery. Sure enough by Wednesday his eyelid was creeping back up on one side. We had tentatively scheduled the surgery at the Monday appointment for Thursday (today) and so it was a go. He came home today sporting his cone of shame and two beautiful eyes. Oh, and the total cost including the sutures, follow-up appointments and surgery came to just under $1300. Granted we didn’t do the keratectomy surgery but the entropion surgery at the ophthalmologist alone was $1438 compared to $290.40 at Dr. H’s clinic. Little bit of a difference! Thank God for her.

In the beginning, this progressed to him keeping both eyes closed nearly all the time from the pain

How we had to administer eye drops and huge pills, still those eyes were closed, he was still in pain despite weeks of treatment

Sutures under the eyes to bring the eyelids down, eyes open and no ulcers, he was back to his old self

Dexter has been through so much. I'm happy to see him looking so much better.
Fingers crossed that he'll be back to normal very soon!
((((( Kitty hugs ))))))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Well, I wanted to read it, and I'm so glad this baby had a relentless advocate to make sure what had to be done was necessary. The are many ways, as they say, to help a cat:wink2:
Feel better, little Dex.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @stracci2000 for your support throughout this whole ordeal.

Thanks so much @ItsMainelyYou, we really do need to advocate across the board when it comes to healthcare for ourselves and our pets. It’s sad the state of the world seems to be more about the $$ and less about the patient.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @stracci2000 for your support throughout this whole ordeal.

Thanks so much @ItsMainelyYou, we really do need to advocate across the board when it comes to healthcare for ourselves and our pets. It’s sad the state of the world seems to be more about the $$ and less about the patient.

And thanks to you @YadaYadaYada , for finding him a knowledgeable and caring vet! When that cone finally comes off, he will be so happy!
Ahh, what fiery hoops we jump through for our furry ones.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@YadaYadaYada I was in a rush this AM but came back to read your adventure. Love the outcome (happy patient and family)!!! GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wavey:

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much @canuk-gal, I’m just so glad that he is better after being in pain for so long!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20230403_162549.jpg

I thought she'd have more fur back by now but...no. They really did shave her down to skin so the fur is coming back slowly.

Lucky is doing well. She's got a ton of energy now. She's absolutely bonkers and I love it though I wish she would settle down at 4am and not want to run out and play with her little sister. Breathing is amazing and though we've had to change a few things around, she's back to her old food with a few caveats. Unfortunately I have to wet her favorite cookie (she does not like this) but, keeps the dust down.

Also I have to restrict the water play because of the tieback, she could get water in her lungs. (we still go to the beach, but I don't let her go in the water as far up as she wants (to her neck!)

Yesterday while they were out for the evening walk she peed on her sisters head:lol: but they do this to each other! its so weird...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meet Skittlez the chameleon.
He’s a gorgeous baby.
My good friend’s Furbaby.
Well, one of them at least as she has a few cats and a bird too

53E9AAE9-7DB6-4109-9F10-6A0D036B5E91.jpeg

8CD49D03-C28D-4AB1-AF76-3D987D0E9EBF.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that an axolotl @missy? Look at those colors!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that an axolotl @missy? Look at those colors!

Skittlez is a chameleon...just love the way he changes his colors. Amazing :kiss2:

Here he is again...on the Roomba lol

Screen Shot 2023-04-05 at 6.27.40 AM.png

skittlezonroomba.png

(I took these shots from a video so it's not as sharp as I would like it sorry)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results