shape
carat
color
clarity

Rainbows - could it be moissanite replica?

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
I’ve been considering a number of engagement rings. One of the ones I like is a step-cut hybrid diamond, which the vendor says is late Edwardian. It’s stunning in person, but has a lot of rainbow refraction off the surface. Does it seem like moissanite to anyone in the know? Video below:

https://instagram.com/p/Bj8M3omBnJt/

(I would get it independently appraised and the vendor allows returns. But I’d rather just take it out of the running if people think it looks like it’s not an authentic diamond).

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would be wary of anything that isnt laser inscribed and certified by a reputable lab.

Does this ring come with the appropriate paperwork? Is the stone inscribed so you can verify with a loupe if you are worried?
I dont know much about moissanite, but there are enough stimulants and cz’s out there I would be very wary of an uncertified diamond. Even if it was a lab diamond that would devalue it greatly.

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
It doesn’t come with paperwork, but the seller has a return policy that will give me time to get it independently appraised and return it if it’s not as warranted.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fwiw, if I saw someone wearing that ring, I would assume the ring was a Swarovski crystal for a center stone. The cut doesnt look like I would expect a diamond to look . It may be one, but it reminds me of a crystal.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No color, clarity, or origin mentioned in the caption. I had to ask....

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
The seller says it’s a K color, VS2 clarity and late Edwardian.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller says it’s a K color, VS2 clarity and late Edwardian.

How can the diamond be “Late Edwardian”, when the term “mixed cuts” didn’t originate until the 1960’s? The setting most certainly may be, but that stone wouldn’t be Edwardian, if it’s considered “mixed cut”. Also, “mixed cuts” are a combo of brilliant cuts & step cuts. I see no such animal in that video.
It’s not even a true step cut. I dunno what kind of “mix” it’s supposed to be, but it doesn’t meet the definition, nor the criteria.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have a very strict return period of seven days (Etsy store) on one hand that would be plenty of time go get an appraisal but you would have to be careful about the seven days if you wanted to return it or risk losing the refund option. You might want to look into appraisers in your area before purchasing.

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
How can the diamond be “Late Edwardian”, when the term “mixed cuts” didn’t originate until the 1960’s? The setting most certainly may be, but that stone wouldn’t be Edwardian, if it’s considered “mixed cut”. Also, “mixed cuts” are a combo of brilliant cuts & step cuts. I see no such animal in that video.
It’s not even a true step cut. I dunno what kind of “mix” it’s supposed to be, but it doesn’t meet the definition, nor the criteria.

I figured the stone is later. Does this mean you think the stone may not be a diamond at all? I’m ok with an unusual cut, just not a ripoff on a fake.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured the stone is later. Does this mean you think the stone may not be a diamond at all? I’m ok with an unusual cut, just not a ripoff on a fake.

I’m questioning the authenticity of the stone. There are no visible inclusions, and that cut has very broad steps, and very few small facets. Any imperfections should be visible at some angle in a step cut stone cut the way that one is....and it appears flawless. The rainbow flashes aren’t my concern as much as it is the extremely unusual, and uniform cut for a “late Edwardian” period stone. This looks more precision cut, and far more clear than VS clarity. The era doesn’t match the “mixed cut” listing....and I do not see a mix of any cut....just step cut. This is extremely confusing, and raising a sh*t ton of red flags for me....

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've watched the video a few times, this stone has a very glassy appearance that resembles moissanite. That's not to say that it is but it lacks....depth. If you are concerned about the glassy nature of this stone and the fact that it does resemble moissanite, you should probably pass. You have doubt already so maybe this one isn't IT you know?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not Carre, it’s not Asscher, and it’s not Sq. Emerald. It’s also not a mix of these three, either.
It does appear glassy, but that is because it lacks facets.
To quote Kevin Hart, “Pineapples. I don’t like it.”

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, wherever they are filming these videos appears to have a “Multicolour foreground / background”. I checked a few other videos and you can see “Multicolours” as a reflection on the white gold. So I doubt if the “colours” seen are actually all “from” the stone as opposed to a reflection of whatever is in the foreground.
And the star sapphire they have would have to be the most “fake” star sapphire I’ve seen in ages.
You can’t trust antique ring settings to have antique diamonds. Not only do gems get replaced, many vendors now “create” vintage type settings. That diamond is a modern type cut, not Edwardian. It’s a type of Asscher and is precision cut. Edwardian cut diamonds are always “wonky” and usually rose cut or perhaps later as an OEC. They say they have “vintage / antique inspired” rings, this is an “inspired” not genuine Edwardian in my opinion.
I wouldn’t be buying it unless it comes with a proper GIA report, it could be anything and I don’t know how much “protection / ease of obtaining a refund” it is dealing with items for sale on Etsy.
Less safe than eBay I would imagine as you have no way of seeing how long they’ve been around, what they’ve previously sold and what “comments” accompanied those purchases.
On the basis of the “star sapphire” ring they have posted, the fact they are creating misleading videos which appear to be “Multicolour reflections” rather than the gems “real performance” and they are saying that diamond is “Edwardian” -not - I’d pass.

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
They have a very strict return period of seven days (Etsy store) on one hand that would be plenty of time go get an appraisal but you would have to be careful about the seven days if you wanted to return it or risk losing the refund option. You might want to look into appraisers in your area before purchasing.

Yes, my plan was to have an appraiser lined up for the day after purchase. I saw the ring in person and it's beautiful but very glassy and I was struck by the rainbows even in a store setting, which set off some alarm bells for me. Maybe it's just better to find something else.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for some perspective, I reached out to the forum some months ago about a diamond ring I found and the seller was not being forthright about an inclusion, as lovely as the faceting was and as much as I wanted it, I had to say no. In the end the inclusion would bother me and the fact that the seller wasn't calling the inclusion by its proper GIA term also bothered me. There would always have been doubt if I bought that one. So instead I found a different ring that was totally "mind clean".

You can always opt to buy it and have it checked out by and independent appraiser because you don't want to feel like "I should have" down the line but there is also nothing wrong with saying this one is almost right but still not the one, kind of like a significant other, you are going to have a significant relationship with this ring, so pick the best you can so you don't regret it later ;-)

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to me like you can see right through a lot of the stone depending on how it's tilted. Would that bother you? Glassy stones tend to be leaky from what I've read. Search for discussions on Daussi cushions which have that watery quality, I think they look nice but some people hate them. Did you take photos / videos from your visit? Just going by the "blink" method that doesn't look like an old ring to me if it's important to you that it's an actual antique.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it is quite shallow? I've seen a couple of stones (oval and cushion) with a glassy type of appearance and they have both been very spready.

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
71424E22-0BD4-464B-B06F-3CA36D0E1E03.jpeg
Looks to me like you can see right through a lot of the stone depending on how it's tilted. Would that bother you? Glassy stones tend to be leaky from what I've read. Search for discussions on Daussi cushions which have that watery quality, I think they look nice but some people hate them. Did you take photos / videos from your visit? Just going by the "blink" method that doesn't look like an old ring to me if it's important to you that it's an actual antique.

I don’t mind that it’s glossy, and I’m not sure I mind that it’s not antique. I just want to make sure it’s an authentic diamond. I took a a photo in a corner out of the direct line of the LED lighting. Maybe it is a Daussi cushion?

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
2E79C250-BDD5-4768-89F6-64B100B138C8.png 97C0B519-6420-4E20-ACC5-C489714B7F28.png 22A1342F-EA57-4386-AFBF-3CFD2AD39AA6.png Here are some stills of the videos I took in the store - The video file itself is too big to upload.

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock
I wonder if it is quite shallow? I've seen a couple of stones (oval and cushion) with a glassy type of appearance and they have both been very spready.

Yes, it’s pretty shallow. I don’t recall the exact measurements but it’s definitely a shallow cut.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, it’s pretty shallow. I don’t recall the exact measurements but it’s definitely a shallow cut.

I've heard of that seller I don't think they are dodgy and I'm pretty sure they would know the difference between a mossie and a diamond. I thinkit's because it's so shallow. Maybe some cut experts could chime in? @rockysalamander @tyty333
Take a look at this very spready diamond it has another obviously flaw but look how glassy it looks too!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk-5CxiFk43/?hl=en

GlitterGal1234

Rough_Rock

Hmm. It does look a lot like Daussi cushions. Do you think it's possible it's a Daussi, or just a similar cut?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does not look like moissy to me. Not enough fire or dispersion. It has a vaseline-like an appearance that reads more like some of the older diamond sims . It could also be very shallow and very poorly cur for light return. Do you have a 10x loupe? Can you find any inclusions? Any scratches on the surface? What do the facet junctions look like (crisp or chipped)? I really would go to an appraiser and have them evaluate the stone. It just feels off or really poorly cut. If this is a diamond, then - to me - its doing its one job to return light very poorly.

Maybe @Karl_K can offer some insight

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. It does look a lot like Daussi cushions. Do you think it's possible it's a Daussi, or just a similar cut?

71424E22-0BD4-464B-B06F-3CA36D0E1E03.jpeg

I don’t mind that it’s glossy, and I’m not sure I mind that it’s not antique. I just want to make sure it’s an authentic diamond. I took a a photo in a corner out of the direct line of the LED lighting. Maybe it is a Daussi cushion?

Daussi cushions look different...the steps aren't as angular but just pointing them out as a reference because they are also shallow and have that glassy look. Should be easy for an appraiser to confirm if it's a real diamond and its specs though if those are the main concerns. Good luck!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not commenting on the veracity of this stone but I know Jogani BH on IG posts vintage diamonds sometimes with the weirdest faceting so I wouldn’t write this one off as not antique based off it not conforming to a known vintage configuration. They might called it a mixed step cut but a lot of naming is in the eye of the vendor, rather than being an objective thing.
The vendor is a B&M with a separate website so not just confined to Etsy. I think it’s probably legit, just not super well cut for great light return

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring itself is modern and cast.
The V shaped hollow under the side stones and the very soft features on the side give it away.
The center stone is just weird I am not willing to comment just based on the information available.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I think it should be listed at around half the advertised price. For over $8000, you can get a much nicer ring (including a much larger stone).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results